Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times

Advertisements

Here is a very recent clip from the "Abandonist" blog (linked in the original post):

Quote:
[…] We're changing the entire menu after March 31st. Expect a massive update after The Death of Fake Winter about our first month as a restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I don't think its money that is keeping them from having a sign, there is a big owl out front, thats the name of the restaurant. I'm sure if they wanted a giant sign with their name on it they would put one up.

Edit: apparently the City of Greenville is making them take the Owl down, I guess the signage along the road has to be uniform or something? Anyway, they are going to add another sign to the building apparently
Taking it down? That's weird. WH corridor in this area is soooooo bad in signage, uniform building design, etc.

It's starting to look like highway 50 down in Orlando - Winter Garden when I used to live down there

Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttown View Post
Gave the owl a shot last night.

I think it has a shot but they really have some kinks to work out.
I understand the Indie bang on a budget casually hip thing they are striving for, but they have not quite yet perfected it.

I think one problem we had was just bad service. Actually it was more weird than bad, I mean we were absolutely laugh out loud floored by the some of the off the wall things that came out of her mouth which she was not intending to be funny. She was either having a bad night or a bad trip, but either way she was not prepared at all to explain the specials or the extensive beer list.

I loved how small and simple and ever changeable they keep the menu.
The food while beautifully prepared, proportioned and platted worked on some levels and on some levels it did not.

I think you are likely to go in their one night and get a fantastic dish and come back a week later and get something that is sub par. It is obvious that the chefs have a love for food and have a lot of fun and passion exploring it. Overall I think they need a little less hipster pretension and a little more experience before they will see this thing take off. But I have a feeling it will, nobody else is doing this yet and they will have some time to work out the kinks.

With that said, it is definitely worth the price. These are very high end plates that you will want to take a picture of. For me I thought the portions were perfect. You would have enough room left to try desert if you wanted but either way you are full without feeling disgusting. However if you love big portions you will not be happy.

I think everyone should give this a try, not sure everyone will love it but its different and well worth the time and money.

Hey y'all, I'm Aaron the chef/owner - someone pointed this out to us. Thanks for the interest in our place.

Regarding the above: I know exactly who your server was and where you sat in the restaurant. On the kitchen side, in the middle 4-top, yes? I try to stay tuned in to the vibe of each table and I felt that might have been the case there. My wife and I know there's a communication problem with that particular server. She's very earnest and wants to do a good job, but can get stuck being a bit overly precious. We're trying our best to get her to be more casual and friendly. Less explanatory and pretentious. If there's anything that I'm not, it's pretentious.

On the other end, I'm really glad you (mostly) enjoyed the food. Joey and I are trying to give creative, modern food to people at reasonable prices. While we don't serve anything we don't think is good, there's bound to be a few that aren't home runs. I think of dining as a collaborative process between the chef and the customers. We try our best to give you a point of view and great taste - then we listen to what you have to say about it. We talk about and adjust things constantly. A dish is never finished.

Our opening menu was a jumping off point, and I know there's a few things that aren't perfect on it. For example, 2 of the dishes use the sherry caramel as a sauce and that's too narrow when there's only 4 choices for entrees. The spring menu is much more thought out and developed. More choices, a more focused point of view, and problems addressed the best we can.

That said, we've only been open 4 weeks and we're still finding our footing. When customers give us feedback we very much appreciate it (good or bad), since it only helps us get better. Even if I disagree, I still take it to our chef de cuisine Joey and discuss it to make sure it's not just me thinking from a different perspective.

We truly want the restaurant to be excellent and are doing our best to make it happen. That can only happen with y'alls help. Thanks so much for giving a bunch of bearded weirdos a chance to do the thing they love.

If anyone has questions or concerns please feel free to email me personally. abandonist@gmail.com

I'll stay away from interrupting the conversation anymore.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,094 times
Aaron -

Thanks for engaging the community here. We talk about your restaurant a bit in my group here at work. In fact one of my co-workers ate there last Friday night and she really enjoyed it.

Keep up the good work and hope you guys truly do succeed. I'm looking forward to making it out there sometime to it out!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM

55 posts, read 140,899 times
We ate here the other night and thought the main dish was very tasty...the appetizer not so much. I must say the "spoon thing" was a little over our heads but overall a nice experience. I think the owner was right about needing a little different menu...you really must like pork if you eat here and want meat.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,031 times
Drink menu changing soon!!! So exciting!!!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,806 times
Just letting y'all know we have a completely new menu for the spring. Check out the facebook for all the goods.

Our bartender Kirk has put together some exceptional cocktails as well (earl grey infused Gin n Tonic, smoked Rum n Coke... serious stuff).

Happy eating.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_M View Post
Just letting y'all know we have a completely new menu for the spring. Check out the facebook for all the goods.

Our bartender Kirk has put together some exceptional cocktails as well (earl grey infused Gin n Tonic, smoked Rum n Coke... serious stuff).

Happy eating.
earl grey gin and tonic? sounds right up my alley!

Old 04-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Kirk's cocktails are the best in all of Greenville!!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 PM

Tiny tasting menu and a drink flight coming soon?! Check out their facebook page, sounds so interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area