Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:20 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,377 times

Advertisements

So, I am thrilled about moving to SC, but am freaking out about something. When looking into insurance plans, we were told that plans do not cover maternity. So after spending the day consoling my wife that things will be ok (we plan to get pregnant soon), I was told by a broker that a lot of people work out a flat rate fee with the physician. Has anybody done this, and how expensive was it? Also, what about hospital? The assumption would be that it is covered after the deduction is met, but if the plan does not cover maternity, then would it also not cover the hospital for the actual birth? Lastly, what archaic jack you know what decided that this was a good idea? How is this "family friendly?". Not an indictment on SC people or the area itself, but really??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 12:35 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,473,588 times
Hrm thats interesting because my fiances insurance REQUIRES all women to carry a maternity rider. I was given the option at my job. Both are through our employers though. Can't you go through an employer? Even so I really can't see not being able to find someone....

If you seriously can't find something, look into using a midwife (thats backed by a doctor) as long as there aren't any complications. It will save you a crap ton. My sister just had a baby and did that. Even her birth was done by her midwife at a birthing center as opposed to hospital.

EDIT: Actually, someone who understands the new healthcare law crap should chime in because I believe it requires mandatory maternity coverage because it becomes considered a real health benefit, not a luxury/add on/preexisting condition type thing it is now. So if you can wait 2 years youll be fine.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 10-15-2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Maternity is a level of coverage that can be added to most health insurance plans for an increased premium. I don't know why you were told that. However, if you are the recipient of an employer sponsored plan you may not be covered for maternity as I don't believe this state requires the employer provide it. You can work out a plan with most any provider if you are paying cash. We receive 30-40% off doctor visits as cash paying customers.

Is your job transferring you here or are you coming here for a new job you've already been offered? If you are transferring you should already know enough about your insurance to know what level of coverage you'll have. If coming for a new job, have you asked about the plan the employer offers?

Old 10-15-2011, 11:10 AM

123 posts, read 437,611 times
Maybe you should consult with another broker because I know for a fact that Blue Cross Blue Shield of SC provides for maternity coverage. If you are buying privately (w/o an employer) the standard coverage may not cover maternity care for the 1st 6 months- a year but you can purchase a supplemental that will cover it. Check out einsurance.com (https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/home - broken link) and you can compare all the different plans in your area.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 PM

What we have been told is that SC does not have mandatory maternity coverage for individual insurance plans, but there are still group plans (like through work) that do. Mine will I believe, but a family plan is around 800 a month. When shopping around for individual plans it was much cheaper, but none have maternity coverage. I believe you can buy a separate maternity policy that only covers that, but from what I have been told it is very expensive, and often you can't use it until a pretty long wait period is up. I was told that many people "self-pay", and the physician gives them a break on the price. It varies, but some things I have read said it can be anywhere from 3900 to 6000, just depending.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Be careful what you believe from a broker's mouth. He is trying to make a living; that comes first; honesty last.

Go to einsurance.com and find out for yourself. You'll need a Greenville zip code (29607 works) to complete the steps.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Be careful what you believe from a broker's mouth. He is trying to make a living; that comes first; honesty last.

Go to einsurance.com and find out for yourself. You'll need a Greenville zip code (29607 works) to complete the steps.
I contacted einsurance and spoke to a broker over the phone. He told me that SC insurance companies, unless group coverage from work (which is extremely expensive where I will be) do not cover maternity, and that it has been this way for a while. He said many states are now doing this, and that people basically are having to self-pay.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,611,482 times
This really doesn't surprise me. Insurance costs in the this state and the country are spiraling out of control (of course, to pay for administrative, executive, and CEO salaries - not too mention the "shareholders").

I work for one of the largest employers in the area (Greenville Hospital System) and my family coverage is about $600/month (GHS is aggressive at keeping health care costs down).

My suggestions: look at a high deductible health care plans with an HSA and aggressively save (thru the HSA) for the planned pregnancy. Call various OB/GYN offices, speak to the office managers, and agree upon a cash price. Medical offices will always give significant discounts to cash paying customers. Another option: wait two more years for the upcoming ObamaCare (I believe maternity coverage is mandatory under this new law).

Another caveat: with medicine and surgery expect the unexpected - complicated pregnancies can be costly.

See this recent editorial that specifically mentions South Carolina and maternity coverage:
Maternity Coverage Suffering Under Obamacare | Heartlander Magazine

Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 AM

123 posts, read 437,611 times
It's really sad what this economy is doing to young families. Unfortunately, I don't see it getting any better anytime soon so it's just something that we are going to have to learn to deal with. At least in the US right now you are getting what you pay for and your wife will get good care. I have lived in countries with socialized medicine and the women there get about half the prenatal care that women in the US get.

Just for some perspective, it will cost you about $300,000 to raise your child so $6,000 for a delivery is really just a drop in the bucket. Just start putting money aside now before you conceive. Here's some advice that I wish that someone had told me when i was younger... Cut up the credit cards. If you get yourself out of debt (pay off car loans & credit cards) you will see your ability to save skyrocket. If you need help learning how to budget & save, look into enrolling yourself in one of Dave Ramsey's courses like Financial Peace University. It's a tough program but it is well worth it. It will make all the difference to your family if you guys learn now how to stay out of debt and save for emergencies. Good luck to you all...

Old 10-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I contacted einsurance and spoke to a broker over the phone. He told me that SC insurance companies, unless group coverage from work (which is extremely expensive where I will be) do not cover maternity, and that it has been this way for a while. He said many states are now doing this, and that people basically are having to self-pay.
That well maybe true; this state doesn't regulate things like other states do. There is a site I used to get actual quotes for coverage; have you tried that? When I had BC/BS here maternity coverage was an additional premium but could be bought. I'd suspect all carriers in the state offer it that way. FWIW, I have a friend in VA that just had a baby, no complications and her bill was $26K before insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area