Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times

Advertisements

Nice! Will be nice to look at (kind of in keeping with the design feel of the Liberty Bridge) and listen to while downtown. A relatively inexpensive way to enhance quality of life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Nice! Will be nice to look at (kind of in keeping with the design feel of the Liberty Bridge) and listen to while downtown. A relatively inexpensive way to enhance quality of life!
Along with the various wind chimes in trees along Main, should be a wonderful sound.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times

Greenville Could Get Bell Tower - YouTube

Old 12-01-2011, 11:00 AM

10 posts, read 16,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvilleGB View Post
I saw this article in the Greenville News today, and I think that (re)building a bell tower downtown is a fantastic idea!

Does anyone have any details regarding the project? I am wondering if it will be traditional/historical to pay homage to the original, or if it will be more modern to match Riverplace..

Apartments, bell tower in the works downtown | The Greenville News | GreenvilleOnline.com
Whatever they do for this area, is long over due.
It will be a wonderful improvement for the area and everyone involved.
That area has been too congested for way too long.
Bridge.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bninspired View Post
Whatever they do for this area, is long over due.
It will be a wonderful improvement for the area and everyone involved.
That area has been too congested for way too long.
Bridge.
You may need to explain this in greater detail. Are you referring to auto traffic? If so, how will a tower of bells affect it in any way?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 AM

186 posts, read 358,580 times
I used to live 3 blocks from a bell tower on a church that clanged non-stop between noon and 9 PM. Complaints, of course, were considered blasphemy by heathens and pagans, until 3,000 heathens and pagans, many even members of the church, offered a petition and pending litigation to shut the cacophony off.

Unfortunately, the Pennsylvania version looks like ornate scaffolding offering nothing but incessant ringing. And just think what the people who control this will do with their personal choice of music.

Go back to that last line. Constant dinging of the same songs, over and over and over and over...

Now for the Positive Thought: Why not a nice Clock Tower rising up a few dozen stories? Then we get something useful, perhaps even a "city landmark," and all the bells you would ever need every 15 minutes. Think Big Ben, done Greenville style. (I guess that would mean sticking a saucer on the top, like all the other recent buildings.)
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 AM

The chimes at RiverPlace will be non-functional most of the time, according to the expressed concern about an undue amount of "noise" early on in the process. Apparently it will be reserved for special occasions, when its ringing will have minimal effect on nearby businesses. I love the idea of an iconic clock tower with bells incorporated.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Funny, I moved here to Naperville 23 years ago and they eventually built a carillon downtown, also near the river that runs through town and the Naperville Riverwalk. Now I'm looking at Greenville as a possibility for my next home and Greenville's considering a carillon near its RiverPlace. Makes you wonder ...

Here's the website for our carillon ... I wasn't too keen on the ultra-modern look at first but it's grown on me over the years. I like seeing it rising above the trees when I walk around downtown ... it is indeed a city landmark for us. Recitals are scheduled on the weekend year round, with recitals also on Tuesday evenings during the summer, and it does strike the hours but I've never felt it was objectionable or intrusive when I've been downtown and I don't know of people complaining about it. People come from around the world to play the carillon. You can climb to the top of the tower ... the largest bell weighs 6 tons.

Friends of Naperville Carillon: Naperville Carillon

Last edited by Vasily; 12-04-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
I hope ours is at least functional enough to chime the hours... How atmospheric!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 AM

186 posts, read 358,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
That's an impressive Carillon, and taller than Lady Liberty, too. Good job, Naperville!

So all we in Greenville need is something like that - taller, of course - and give it some use or purpose when the clanging isn't going on. Why not top it with a statue? Or (as I'm now repeating myself), a 4-faced clock? Or give it some character - have it leaning, or corkscrewing, or shape-shifting like those buildings with rotating sections?

Then, finally, we can all exclaim proudly - "We're G-Vegas, Baby! We're cutting edge!"

Hmm. If that's the case, then maybe the clock should be digital...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area