Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 AM

40 posts, read 52,406 times

Advertisements

We've recently found a large male dog, possibly 60lbs or larger, whom followed us home yesterday 2/6/2012. We have tried to find the owners around our community, but no one seems to know who it belongs to. We have posted an ad on CraigsList as well.

I need to find his owner or need help rehoming him to someone who cares. I definitely cannot keep him. I live in a small apartment, he is a big guy and I am a small girl. He does not seem too old and looks neutered. I do not want to hand out too much description due to the crazy coons faking information. I will NOT hand this dog to just anyone!! He is very sweet, goofy and highly energetic. Did I mention he's big?!!

I seriously need help finding this guy's home and I don't want to just give him up to a shelter. I don't trust shelters, not even Greenville Humane. When they are up to their necks in overpopulation, they might hand him over to a kill-shelter and clean their hands. No dog is going to be put to sleep in my hands, even if I can't keep him!!

He is a large breed and would do well in a large house setting. If you have a ranch or some real estate space, or even the patience and ability to handle, please inform.

If you are the owner or know someone who lost a large male, give a description of the dog: age, breed, coloring, and collar color OR provide pictures.

I have my doubts of finding the owner. His tag might have been ripped off on purpose.

Please spread the word! I have health issues and can't handle him well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,231,942 times
I hope you find his owner. If he looks well fed, not matted up and filthy, he probably was recently lost. If you could put a few posters up in the area you found him, call the animal shelters to see if anyone has reported a similar dog missing, and check the lost and found ads in the newspaper, you may be able to reunite him with his owner if they are looking. If someone just let their dog go, and you are unable to keep him, I'm sure you can find a no-kill shelter in the area who will care for him until they find him a proper and decent home.

Since you just found him, it may take the owners a day or two to get an ad in the lost and found. Just remember, if could have come from someone elderly that doesn't use a computer and has only the old fashion route of trying to find him, so it may take them a little more time than someone who has computer access.

Good luck - you are doing a "mitzvah"

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM

347 posts, read 983,464 times
Have you had him checked for a microchip? I'm pretty sure most shelters and vet clinics have scanners.
Good luck!!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,660,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
Have you had him checked for a microchip? I'm pretty sure most shelters and vet clinics have scanners.
Good luck!!
The poster should go to the humane society. The implant all animals there and they have plenty of scanners. Or they could go to a Petsmart with the Banfield clinic inside as they all have microchip scanners as well.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM

347 posts, read 983,464 times
Definitely good advice, although I don't really recommend taking a stray dog (especially a big one that has the potential to be difficult to control) into Petsmart - you don't know if he's vaccinated or how he'll react to the other dogs walking around.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 PM

51 posts, read 68,404 times
Take the dog to be scanned for a microchip!!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

696 posts, read 1,340,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
Good luck!!
Definitely do this if you can transport him, and if you can't, get someone who can! The shelter can scan him in under a minute and find the owner's phone and address records. Vets can also check for a chip if they have the scanner. Even if he's not chipped, someone may have called the shelter looking for him.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,183,736 times
Checking for a microchip was my first thought. Also, put an ad on Criagslsist and put flyers around.

I hope you find his owners. Sounds like a sweet dog. Keep us posted.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:35 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,741,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

Good luck - you are doing a "mitzvah"
Most definitely - and what a wonderful mitzvah to return something to its rightful owners.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,741,177 times
That's so nice of you to try to find the owners - I hope you find him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area