Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for pro sports you aren't going to find them in Greenville. Sure we have a hockey team and a baseball (minor league for the Red Sox) team but they are small compared to Atlanta's or Charlotte's teams. In Greenville its mostly Clemson and USC sports that are the draw here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 PM

52 posts, read 69,681 times
Thank you Myrc... I'm aware that there aren't major sports teams in the immediate area. I just don't think I want the 'concrete jungle' feel of an Atlanta or Charlotte. I would just need a place close enough to make the occasional drive. Maybe one or two football games a year... A few Braves games. Some concerts perhaps.

I'm essentially looking for a large city, with plenty of amenities, that is as close to the mountains. An Asheville, Greenville, Chattanooga, or Knoxville-like city (from what I've gathered).

Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_always View Post
Good day all,

If I'm sure about anything, it is this: I am determined to relocate from South Georgia (where I have spent my entire life) to a larger city with cultural, recreational and entertainment amenities.

Would not consider Greenville a larger city and if you are looking for that I would skip it. For example without counting the surrounding towns in the population numbers Greenville by itself is pretty small.

I have spent the better part of two months researching every city that seems to fit criteria for a future home.

I've thought about So Cal (too far), Seattle/Portland (not the best weather), Chattanooga (too small), Knoxville (too far from a major city), and Atlanta/Charlotte (perhaps too big and lacking in natural beauty).

Savannah, though pretty, is also a little small.

I understand that I am being picky, and searching for some form of personal utopia, but I really want to make this decision the right one... I may only get one chance at it.

I'm looking for a place with:

Plenty to do. A theater, parks, concerts, major sports (close would do)... Places where a 24-year-old single guy can meet a wonderful girl (though not into the church scene. One thing I've seen mentioned in regard to Greenville).

There are no major sports in Greenville.

I also want (and here's the tricky part), a place that is beautiful and offers access to many outdoor recreational opportunities. Sports, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Hiking...

Which brings me to Greenville. I've never been, but in looking, the place seems to offer a nice balance. Especially since it isn't too landlocked.

You will have to drive in order to enjoy the outdoor activities. Greenville (in my opinion) is pretty landlocked. My suggestion would be that you visit Greenville to get a firsthand perspective on the area. Although just visiting will not provide you with a complete understanding of what day to day living is like there.

Can anyone offer their insights?

(as far as jobs go.. I'm currently a Newspaper reporter looking to get out of that game. I'm open to a number of things. But I would like to be outdoors. Of course, with my degree, I may have to look at Public Relations/Community Outreach positions)

Greenville is not the easiest place to find jobs (for most people) and I would strongly suggest making sure that you have a job offer before making the move.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I saw that you mentioned ATL.....maybe relocating there or to Charlotte would be better....both offer way more than Greenville. At least you would still be in your own backyard.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
You will have to drive in order to enjoy the outdoor activities.
The poster asked about kayaking, hiking, and mountain biking. Greenville has excellent opportunities for all three of these activities - I know because I participate in them. NYBorn recommend Atlanta or Charlotte, both of which would require more of a drive to get to good hiking, kayaking, or mountain biking.

To the original poster - if you do move to SC and decide to take up kayaking, check out the Foothills Paddling Club or Carolina Canoe Club. Both clubs are good avenues to get into the sport. If you end up in East TN, check out Tennessee Valley Canoe Club and the Chota Canoe Club. Whitewater kayaking isn't the easiest sport to take up, and having others to help you get started is key to being successful at it in the start.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM

45 posts, read 81,238 times
Greenville meets a lot of your criteria, and in general I find it a very nice place to live. Very family friendly, cute downtown, affordable, mountains are not too far away.
But, my first thought in reading your list of requirements was, how about Nashville? You still have the mountains, it's not as big as ATL and to me seems to have more "personality" than Charlotte, and also has pro-sports.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks all.

@NewYorkBorn: It is much larger than Jesup or Statesboro, Georgia. Haha. I am trying to find a mix between a decent-sized city and a super-city. The Atlantas and Charlottes of the world, I think, are a little too large. Primarily because it would take even longer to get out of town and into nature... And I would just like to be semi-close to pro-sports. I am interested in what you mentioned about having to drive a bit to access outdoor activities. I would very much like those to be very close by (20 minutes?) I have always been near water (rivers, lakes..)

And yes... it seems jobs are very difficult to come by. Especially when you don't live in the town. That seems to be the case in a lot of places.

----
@Vol:

Thanks again. I absolutely plan on doing something along those lines wherever I go. Particularly since I'll be friendless!!!

----
@Tribe:

I did think a lot about Nashville. I'm sure I would enjoy the music scene (because as I hear, it isn't ALL country. I know Jack White has his record label up there). I had kind of written it off though because I thought it was a little far from the mountains. From the scenery and outdoor-type activities.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM

696 posts, read 1,334,906 times
I didn't see it mentioned, but you can paddle the Saluda, as well. It's not whitewater, but it does get fairly quick in places.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Is that close by?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Its good you want to get away from newspaper reporting because if you move to Greenville, our newspaper is very thin. But I don't know where else that could take you. There are some magazine's I believe that are produced in the area. If you aren't already you should be searching the available jobs in the areas you are considering. You might find you'll need to go where you can get work.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM

696 posts, read 1,334,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_always View Post
Is that close by?
It separates Greenville and Pickens counties, so yes, it is very close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area