Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM

52 posts, read 69,877 times

Advertisements

Good day all,

If I'm sure about anything, it is this: I am determined to relocate from South Georgia (where I have spent my entire life) to a larger city with cultural, recreational and entertainment amenities.

I have spent the better part of two months researching every city that seems to fit criteria for a future home.

I've thought about So Cal (too far), Seattle/Portland (not the best weather), Chattanooga (too small), Knoxville (too far from a major city), and Atlanta/Charlotte (perhaps too big and lacking in natural beauty).

Savannah, though pretty, is also a little small.

I understand that I am being picky, and searching for some form of personal utopia, but I really want to make this decision the right one... I may only get one chance at it.

I'm looking for a place with:

Plenty to do. A theater, parks, concerts, major sports (close would do)... Places where a 24-year-old single guy can meet a wonderful girl (though not into the church scene. One thing I've seen mentioned in regard to Greenville).

I also want (and here's the tricky part), a place that is beautiful and offers access to many outdoor recreational opportunities. Sports, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Hiking...

Which brings me to Greenville. I've never been, but in looking, the place seems to offer a nice balance. Especially since it isn't too landlocked.

Can anyone offer their insights?

(as far as jobs go.. I'm currently a Newspaper reporter looking to get out of that game. I'm open to a number of things. But I would like to be outdoors. Of course, with my degree, I may have to look at Public Relations/Community Outreach positions)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM

Come on guys/girls.... There has to something you can tell me?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 AM

899 posts, read 2,295,776 times
I think Greenville would offer a lot of what you are looking for. There is a nice and growing young professional scene with outlets to meet other 20-somethings. You have the Peace Center for major theater and Bi-Lo Center for major concerts, a great minor league team and ballpark, minor league hockey, close to countless places to go hike and play in the mountains with amazing nature to view.

You did mention Chattanooga being too small for you though - I think a lot of people would say that Chattanooga and Greenville are pretty comparable in many ways. To me personally, the Greenville area feels larger but the Chattanooga downtown feels larger - and both areas have the same sort of general vibe to me.

Since you are in South Georgia, you are close enough to come spend a few days looking around the area when you have the time. That would be a good way to get the feel for the area.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,319,927 times
I think you should visit all 3 places. I've lived in 2 of them (near Greenville now and near Knoxville for many years) and visited the other several times.

All 3 places have a lot of what you are asking for and all 3 places are also very different. The differences are mostly the "vibe" of the towns and it is hard to judge what kind of "vibe" you want. Go visit all 3 this spring and have fun!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM

The glaring downside to Knoxville (seemingly) is it's lack of sports options. I'm not a Vol fan, and the town is pretty far from the major markets of Atlanta and Charlotte.

How close to kayaking and the mountains is Greenville @Innovator? Possible to get off work in the afternoon and hit a trail or get on the water?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,319,927 times
There are trails in Greenville for biking and walking. Hiking can be as close as Paris Mountain (~30 minutes depending on where you work). Table Rock , Ceasars' Head, and Jones Gap will all be less than an hour away for most people. Lots of hiking, biking, camping, etc. to be had in the area. On the weekends you can add all of Western NC and NE Georgia to give you lots of outdoor possibilities.

Kayaking will depend on what type of paddling you are looking for. Flatwater is going to be best on Lake Jocasse, which is going to be about an hour away from downtown Greenville. Possible on a summer afternoon.

I am a whitewater kayaker and there is lots of nearby whitewater but not much in Greenville itself. Greenville has the Reedy and Enoree but both are pretty polluted. The Green is an hour or so away as is the Chattooga (and they are both world-class whitewater rivers). Lots and lots of whitwater close enough to paddle as a day trip on the weekends.

I agree that if you want pro sports, Knoxville is somewhat lacking in that department. They have a minor league baseball team nearby, minor league hockey team, and that's about it.

Of course, the same could be said for Greenville. If you want major pro sports you will have to drive to Charlotte (2 hours) or Atlanta (2 1/2 hours). I don't follow pro sports because I'd rather be outside participating in my own sports activities but that's just me.....

Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks Vol. I agree with you whole-heartedly about participating in your own sports. But it would be nice to be able to check out some Braves games here and there.

I've only paddled flatwater (rivers, swamps and lakes here in South Georgia) but am very interested in white water. Part of what attracts me to a mountain area.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM

807 posts, read 1,791,434 times
I went to Natahala once in my lifetime! LOL. It was nice for rafting. You may want to check out Chatooga River as well. Not sure how true it is but rumor has it that they are working on something with the Twelve Mile River as well. Come for a visit and check things out!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM

899 posts, read 2,295,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_always View Post
How close to kayaking and the mountains is Greenville @Innovator? Possible to get off work in the afternoon and hit a trail or get on the water?
I think the other guys did a good job of giving the inside scoop on kayaking. I've never done it - but it's great to know it's out there! A buddy of mine is big into it and goes kayaking on the Chatooga. I used to be big into hiking and fishing in the area. Lots of trails up towards Table Rock, Caesar's Head, Pisgah Forest a little further away, plus the Foothills Trail. Also the Palmetto Trail system is a pretty cool project here in SC. And if you ever want to get out on a lake there are plenty within an hours drive.

Really if you are looking for a mid-sized Southern metro with a happening downtown and young professional opportunities that is close to the mountains and outdoors, then Greenville is close to perfect.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM

I really appreciate it guys. I plan on checking it out very soon. Maybe try hitting Knoxville, Charlotte and Greenville over the course to two or three days.

Now... If only jobs were as easy to come by as friendly people willing to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area