Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: where would you live and why?
greenville 17 80.95%
vero bch., fla 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:13 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,704 times

Advertisements

We've become tired of FL after 27 years. Although we live on the west coast, all of FL has problems with runaway taxes and insurance (especially on the coast). We also miss a little change of seasons- it seems like every year, I resent the heat more and more. I know Greenville can be hot, but not for 8 months of the year. We have property in Traveler's Rest, and plan to build in a couple years. We wanted acreage within a reasonable commute of a city, since we have a ways to go until retirement, and that is simply not to be found in FL unless you have deep pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,029 times
I have no direct experience with Vero Beach. I have never been there, and do not know anything about it. But I would imagine that it is very different from Greenville in almost every category. Do you want a larger, growing metro near the mountains or a smaller, more laid back resort area at the beach? Do you want a high-growth economic hub or a vacation-oriented community? I would think that you are naturally more inclined to prefer one over the other, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can answer your questions specifically related to Greenville.

By the way, Greenville's city population is around 60,000. This is misleading, because the city limits are only about 26 square miles and South Carolina's annexation laws make it difficult for the city to eat up surrounding property. Greenville County has well over 400,000 residents, and is the largest county in South Carolina. In addition, Greenville is the principal city in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA, which in the last census (2000) had a population of 962,000. This figure is certainly over 1 million now.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Great post, Greenville.

While Greenville County isn't the largest (in SC) in size, it definitely is the most populated.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Great post, Greenville.

While Greenville County isn't the largest (in SC) in size, it definitely is the most populated.
Thanks for correcting me. I meant to say that Greenville County is the most populated county in SC, not the largest in terms of land area. I do believe it is the most densely populated, though.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 PM

90 posts, read 335,923 times
We're in the Melbourne area *Viera* and want to move to S. Carolina or Georgia. If you move back to Melbourne I can tell you houses haven't come down much in price. I've been watching them. I can't wait to leave Florida. Too crowded, hot, muggy. I'm looking forward to SC or Georgia. Do you have any areas that you would suggest? I kind of like rolling green hills with lots of trees.... but not too many trees like woodsy areas. Kaci

Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Northern Anderson County and southern Greenville County have lots of the type of land you are interested in. The Dacusville area of Pickens County is another fantastic consideration, in my opinion.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,994 times
thanks floridagal2. what part near daytona are you from? so many of our beautiful towns have been invaded and gone down hill over the years. it's too bad. i am hoping this doesn not happen to towns like vero bch

Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,994 times
thanks floridagal2. what part near daytona are you from? so many of our beautiful towns have been invaded and gone down hill over the years. it's too bad. i am hoping this doesn not happen to towns like vero bch

justnancy, thank you for your input also. it's good to hear that you really liked vero bch too. i havent heard many complaints about vero bch, that's for sure. or greenville either.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
wow, i had no idea greenville was so big. i have been there quite a few times, but i had no idea it was that big. (i just said the same thing twice. forgive me).

anyhow, i know it is kind of wierd to compare the two. both pretty different, but i like them both and can see myself living in either. one reason vero bch is so appealing is b/c it is quiet, and seemed much safer, prettier, cleaner, friendlier, and so on than orlando. so i can really appreciate living in a town like that, especially being so close to the beaches.

greenville appeals to me for others reasons of which i have an appreciation for. a bigger city than vero bch for sure, but still has that friendly, neat and clean atmosphere, and many floridians have now called greenville home. also, the job situation is better in g'ville as well.

family and friends are close by in both places. both places are pretty, friendly, clean, etc... so i am having a time with this one... nothing is set in stone or going to happen immediately. but i like to research a little early.

I detect a lot of sarcasm in response to my comment. However, in July 06 Vero Beach had less than 18,000 residents according to many statistics, including city-data. more than 1/3 of them only live there for 6 months out of the year. Anyway, the total population is 1/3 of Greenville, so I would say that my comment is justified. Also, Vero Beach is a retirement community. Just look up the census and/or stats for both cities and they are very different regarding the average age, average income and cost of living. The average price of a home in Greenville according to USA Today for the 2nd quarter of 2006 was $151K. City-Data puts it a $137K for 2005. Vero Beach's median home price is $269,000.

You asked a question and I answered it. Also, these aren't just my opinions out of the blue. These are facts. Vero Beach has a (what's it called??) oh yeah...a beach!! Greenville doesn't. Greenville has hills and mountain views. If you want a mountain view in Vero Beach you need to build a sandcastle. The weather is also very different. In FL people freak if the temperature drops below 60. The lowest recorded temperature in the history of Vero Beach was in 1985 when it dropped for a few minutes to 21 degrees one night. Record low in Greenville was minus 6. I could go on and on, but there are many reasons a person might choose one over the other. Still - I am sure they are 2 very, very different places.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I detect a lot of sarcasm in response to my comment. However, in July 06 Vero Beach had less than 18,000 residents according to many statistics, including city-data. more than 1/3 of them only live there for 6 months out of the year. Anyway, the total population is 1/3 of Greenville, so I would say that my comment is justified.
It is also important to remember that Greenville's city population of around 60,000 is very misleading. When you consider the fact that the Greenville metro area as a whole is a lot larger than that, it illustrates just how different Greenville and Vero Beach are in terms of population. Apples and oranges...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area