Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: where would you live and why?
greenville 17 80.95%
vero bch., fla 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaci View Post
We're in the Melbourne area *Viera* and want to move to S. Carolina or Georgia. If you move back to Melbourne I can tell you houses haven't come down much in price. I've been watching them. I can't wait to leave Florida. Too crowded, hot, muggy. I'm looking forward to SC or Georgia. Do you have any areas that you would suggest? I kind of like rolling green hills with lots of trees.... but not too many trees like woodsy areas. Kaci
We found pretty rolling country around Rome and Athens GA- very low cost of living, too. We planned on moving to one of those areas, and swung through Greenville on a whim. There's no comparison- we bought land about 15 miles north of Greenville (very woodsy, though), and will move there in a couple years. I don't know if it matters to you, but there's a lot more employment in the Greenville area than Rome or Athens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:45 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,216,432 times
justnancy, i hope u dont think i was being sarcastic?!?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:37 PM

you all are in favor of greenville, 3-to-1 so far...

Old 09-15-2007, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,020 times
This is an interesting question, as I currently live in Vero Beach and am looking at possibly moving to Greenville. Vero Beach is a very small, conservative town. It is clean and has low crime and for the most part people are very friendly. However, jobs are extremely hard to come by. The income statistics are misleading as it takes into account the income of the retirees as well. Vero Beach has a very wealthy population that has retired here. This leaves most jobs in the service industry unless you are in the medical field. My husband and I have returned to Vero Beach from Winter Haven and before that Orlando and we have both been laid off within the last two months. I have a college degree and am unable to find employment or any responses to salary requirements. The pay scale here is ridiculously low!!

As for housing, prices have dropped a little since the housing boom went bust!! But it is still relatively expensive, not to mention the property taxes are very high in Indian River County and the homeowners insurance has gone way up!!

We are in our middle thirties and raising a family and are looking for more opportunity. After living in larger cities, Vero can sometimes feel disconnected from the rest of the world. At times, the mentality can be very small town and the wealthy do still make the rules as far as progress goes. They would like to keep it a small town, unfortunatley that leaves big insustry and business out for those of us not yet retired.

The beaches are nice but small due to erosion. The restaurants are very good and there are many of them. But is you interested in night life, then Vero would not be the town for you. There is a nice community theatre and the library is excellent. The only college close by is Indian River COmmunity College. They do offer some 4 year degrees through Florida Atlantic University but it is limited. Most people looking to further their education end up in West Palm Beach or Orlando.

The school system is pretty good, the healthcare is not great compared to what we were used to in Orlando.

There isn't much to do if you have small children. We can only go to the beach so many times. There are nice parks and if you are into boating then you will really enjoy the Indian River!

It seems to me they are completely different cities. I am orginally from Staten Island, Ny and look foward to getting back to some sort of seasonal change. IT is September and we are still in the 90's and sweating. I want to be closer to museums and theatre. I like the idea of the big state parks close by and the mountains only an hour or so away. Most of all, I want to go where there is more opportunity. Vero Beach does not offer that.

Most people my age with a family that are not wealthy people living on the "beach side" would agree that they are waiting to leave Vero. If we could only sell our houses!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,648 times
I live in Greenville SC and love to visit the Florida area. I have never lived in the state of Florida, but I know that my family LOVES Greenville SC. The 600K population that you are refering to is the Greenville - Spartanburg - and Anderson area combined. Its kinda of like Raleigh Durham. Its one large Triangle that they combine the population of. Greenville has a wonderful downtown area and so much to do there if you like scenery and parks. You are also with a day trip to Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC. One hour away from the Mountains and three hours away from the beach. Pretty good location!!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 PM

man... i am getting a lot of greenville fans, but not so much for vero. i realize it is an interesting comparison. no, we aren't really into the night life. we live in orlando and we hardly ever go downtown. but, the fact that you said ppl your age are looking to leave vero b/c of the lack of things to do, does raise an eyebrow.

Last edited by backtofla; 09-15-2007 at 09:51 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUFAN View Post
I live in Greenville SC and love to visit the Florida area. I have never lived in the state of Florida, but I know that my family LOVES Greenville SC. The 600K population that you are refering to is the Greenville - Spartanburg - and Anderson area combined. Its kinda of like Raleigh Durham. Its one large Triangle that they combine the population of. Greenville has a wonderful downtown area and so much to do there if you like scenery and parks. You are also with a day trip to Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC. One hour away from the Mountains and three hours away from the beach. Pretty good location!!
I am not sure where the 600,000 population figure came from, because the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson metro area (MSA) had a population of 962,000 in the last census (which was in 2000). That number is well over 1 million now, as the area has experienced healthy and sustained growth since then. The analogy to Raleigh-Durham is a good one, though, as both metro areas are fairly spread out with their fair share of sprawl (this is true of every metro in the South, though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area