Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM

840 posts, read 783,063 times

Advertisements

How is the job situation in the westminster,seneca,clemson area? Wife has experience as dietary aide and deli clerk wants to look into getting some kind of nursing degree or even a job as that. I have a CDL b but no experience. Lived near all these towns for few years but haven't been there in a while..we live in NE Ga right now and its just getting to expensive and its to far from towns with anything in them...So what area would be good for family of 5,kids would probably be home schooled at least the oldest would be son is 3 and would like to put him in headstart...any insight is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 AM

5,597 posts, read 15,416,136 times
I apologize RPON. We did have members living in the Golden Corner (Oconee County), but perhaps they don't check the forum often. Hopefully someone will offer their advice. I will be in Clemson later this week, but not sure how much useful information I will be able to gather because my spare time will be very limited.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,572,261 times
I thought it was either "golden strip" (Mauldin/Simpsonville/Fountain Inn) or "dark corner" (Oconee County)...?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,621,217 times
To be brutally honest, the Golden Corner of SC (which encompasses mainly Oconee County) is not well-known for tremendous job growth. Of course, this area is known for its fantastic lakes (Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocassee) and mountain vistas - and because of this, this area attracts a LOT of retirees.

IMO, NE GA and NW SC are very similar in terms of economic outlook, job growth, educational opportunities, and cost-of-living.

Really in this Great Recession, I'd look at the major metro areas for job opportunities - Greenville (maybe Spartanburg/Anderson) and, of course, Atlanta.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,143,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I thought it was either "golden strip" (Mauldin/Simpsonville/Fountain Inn) or "dark corner" (Oconee County)...?
Dark Corner is the Gaffney/Blue Ridge area in the NW portion of the state.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,572,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Dark Corner is the Gaffney/Blue Ridge area in the NW portion of the state.
OK, now I'm confused... Gaffney is in Cherokee County, not in what I'd consider the NW portion of the state (very close to Charlotte/Gastonia, NC). Blue Ridge is in northern Greenville or Spartanburg county, isn't it? And Oconee County is the very NW corner of the state....

But.... EUREKA! Per Dark Corner Distillery's website, "Glassy Mountain Township—the northeastern corner of Greenville County’s Appalachian hills—is the nucleus of the area that has been known as DARK CORNER for over 175 years." So, the Blue Ridge area would be correct regarding the Dark Corner.

I always thought Dark Corner referred to the most remote reaches of the NW corner of the state (Oconee County). I stand chastened and corrected!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM

840 posts, read 783,063 times
Well are there jobs there as far as dietary aide and or deli clerk? I am pretty familiar with the area...and we are looking that way because I want to be near Greenville and Anderson etc...love the areas...tired of north east georgia. So far from everything.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM

102 posts, read 321,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post

That is really funny. I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area