Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 PM

23 posts, read 32,638 times

Advertisements

I officially moved in Saturday and today I feel like everything is just about ready to go and where I want it.

I would like to say thank you to all that have helped me along the way with all the questions I have had!

My girlfriend is visiting me this weekend and I want to show her a good time so hopefully she'll want to call this her home as well. We're in that stage of our relationship where we want to take it to the next level and obviously if she doesn't like it here it will put us in a bind, big time.

Here are the things that she enjoys and if possible please help me! Don't feel obligate to have an answer for every category! Post away what you think might help Keep in mind we both love driving so anything within 1.5-2hrs drive is good to go!

- She's huge into country music so anything related would be great. Concerts, museums..anything

- Her and I love dogs so please tell me about some good dog parks in the area.

- She wants to get some authentic cowgirl leather boots, the real deal. Any ideas on places?

- I would like to rent a scooter/small motorcycle to ride around town/country in. Places that rent?

- She loves a tasty filet mignon, please refer me to a good joint around Greenville. Would prefer something local, not chain. Aka no Ruth's Chris.

- She loves Italian food, especially chicken alfredo.

- Easy to semi-easy hikes that have great scenary? I plan on taking her to the falls hike where you park at hooker falls in DuPont. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

That's all that I can think of right now. I'm already planning on taking her to the hooker falls hike, the zoo, confederate museum (shes a big fan of the civil war) and hopefully you guys can help me come up with more plans.

Thanks again to you all for helping me along the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Good for you!

I don't really know of any country music-specific venues, but that's not my main musical inclination, so others here may be of some help there.

There's a great dog park in Falls Park - can be reached easily from Cleveland St and Laurens Rd (via E. Washington St). Greenville is a Dog City - you see nearly as many dogs in cars on the streets as people! lol

Not sure what to advise on Cowgirl gear either, but I'm sure there are places others can recommend.

I did a quick search for scooter/motorcycle rentals locally, but couldn't find anything. Not sure what to advise there.

Chophouse 47 on Pelham Rd at I-85 is a locally-owned, but EXPENSIVE steak house. Great atmosphere! The Peddler, off Poinsett Hwy just past the Cherrydale area, is unique with TONS of atmosphere and good food. City Range is another local establishment on Haywood Rd near Haywood Mall. Arizona's has 2 local locations - Woodruff Rd south of I-385 and in Simpsonville on the service road facing I-385.

Italian - where do I start? There are a couple great places downtown - Risorante Bergamo and Trattoria Giorgio, both on Main St. We've also had good luck with Giovanni's Italian restaurant on Woodruff Rd just past the Miller Rd/Garlington Rd intersection.

Not sure how to advise on hikes, but Paris Mountain State Park, right on the edge of the city, has numerous mountain trails. Caesar's Head State Park has a great overlook (that looks back towards Greenville) on US Hwy 276 (Geer Hwy) in extreme northern Greenville County, about a 45 min drive from town.

I'd also suggest a walk through Falls Park and River Place downtown if you have time.

Have fun, and let us know how it went!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM

306 posts, read 689,546 times
Cowgirl boots can be found across from the Haywood mall in a store call Lebo's. It is in the Babies R Us shopping center…I believe City Range steak house is right near there also, if not in the same shopping center.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Steak - Lots of good places to choose from...

Chophouse 47 isn't all that much more expensive than the other good, high-end steak places. Everything is a la carte, but one great tip that our server gave us the first time we went there - the sides are huge... plenty big enough to share. That helps economize a little. We love Chophouse!

I love the Peddler, but the lines can be horrendous on weekends. Doesn't make for a good first impression. I don't think they take reservations except for maybe large parties.

Italian - we love Travinia on Woodruff.

A new "hidden jewel" is Sciortino's Trattoria off Pelham, near the intersection with I-85. It's close to Chick-fil-a and next door to Gigi's gourmet cupcakes. Sciortino's is moderately priced and has fabulous food. It doesn't look like much on the outside (crowded commercial strip) but is surprisingly nice inside.

With all the things that your girlfriend likes, and all the things that Greenville has to offer, I can't imagine that she wouldn't fall in love with Greenville... and you, all over again.

Last edited by roadpony; 03-21-2012 at 06:33 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM

46 posts, read 78,932 times
Pretty Place aka Camp Greenville is a wonderful view. This is near ceasar head wear you can hike etc. It is an outdoor chapel where people hold weddings or just come for the view. We love it up there!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escsoccermom View Post
Pretty Place aka Camp Greenville is a wonderful view. This is near ceasar head wear you can hike etc. It is an outdoor chapel where people hold weddings or just come for the view. We love it up there!
Pretty place is very nice, but I saw on the news a couple of days ago that they were closing to do upgrades. Their web site doesn't say for how long.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Pretty place is very nice, but I saw on the news a couple of days ago that they were closing to do upgrades. Their web site doesn't say for how long.
Pretty Place Closed For Upgrades | WSPA

Doesn't give a date but I thought it was scheduled to be open by Easter.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM

23 posts, read 32,638 times
Again, you guys are freaking awesome!

I went to pretty place about 3 weeks ago and really enjoyed the views. Shame it's close :-/

Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Check the events schedule at Blind Horse Saloon ( http://www.blind-horse.com/ - broken link) for country music. Chief's Wings & Firewater ( http://chiefsonline.com/fun_details.php?store=greenville - broken link) is another venue that occasionally features live country music. The Handlebar is another decent local venue to check out.

Lebo's is definitely a great place to find cowgirl footwear in Greenville.

As for moderate hiking, check out Table Rock State Park, Jones Gap State Park, Oconee Station (Station Cove Falls), Keowee-Toxaway State Park, and Mills River in NC.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,877 times
I might avoid dupont for the next few weekends due to the hunger games link. If you can go on a weekday it might be ok. There have been articles from the citizen times talking about how busy the rangers expect it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area