Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Teens are reckless because, well, that's part of a teen's job description.

And adults who pay the taxes and run the businesses in a community have every right to set boundaries on behavior and consequences to protect their investments from that recklessness. Just my opinion.
I don't think being reckless is part of a teen's job description. It's just what happens when there is no adult supervision or accountability at home.

Kids respond to clear expectations and predictable consequences. These thugs are themselves victims of parental neglect. What well functioning family would have no concern for their teen to be out late with no supervision?

Greenville needs a curfew because obviously there are a lot of parents living there who can't/won't function as parents. The parents should have imposed a curfew for their minor children. Since they don't, the city must put it into law to prevent innocent people from getting hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM

374 posts, read 834,412 times
This is the world we presently live in and the odds of it getting back the the 'Cleaver Family' days are wishful thinking at best. Suggest and throw education out on the table daily and it's not going to change behavior that has been left unchecked and basically unaccoutable for decades due to....(your opinion here).
Then let's arrest the responsible parent for the underage actions....Plezzzz. Take your blinders off to current events.

Last edited by itsallaboutyou; 04-04-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
This is the world we presently live in and the odds of it getting back the the 'Cleaver Family' days are wishful thinking at best. Suggest and throw education out on the table daily and it's not going to change behavior that has been left unchecked and basically unaccoutable for decades due to....(your opinion here).
Then let's arrest the responsible parent for the underage actions....Plezzzz. Take your blinders off to current events.
All I know is, my kids are at home under adult supervision at night. They don't own guns to shoot. Are you seriously siding with the parents who don't raise their kids? Really? Wow. Then who is supposed to guide them? Government? Video games? Rap videos? It's showing.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 PM

145 posts, read 356,636 times
You hit it on the head Red, Rap music is behind most of this mess. Just not many positive black role models out there

Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc2003 View Post
Instead of closing the park to minors at 10 p.m., why not just do it when it gets dark? Or maybe set a specific time like 8 p.m. in the summer. I feel old for saying this, but what good comes out of kids hanging out at a park for two hours after it gets dark? Seriously. What advantage is there for the city to enforce the curfew at 10 p.m. instead of earlier? The curfew would also probably be a lot easier to enforce when there's still a little daylight left.

It's one thing for there to be violence at midnight or 2 a.m., but 9:30-10 is when a lot of people are coming out of restaurants after having dinner. Aside from the obvious safety issues, for this to happen at one of the city's most prominent landmarks could be a serious PR and business problem.
It is supposed to be a free country. If they start curfews for teens, the next thing you know, they'll have them for adults. Besides,it sounds like there was no crime even committed except disturbing the peace. Loud noises and kids running happen all the time in big cities. I think we all need to relax a little.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I don't think being reckless is part of a teen's job description. It's just what happens when there is no adult supervision or accountability at home.

Kids respond to clear expectations and predictable consequences. These thugs are themselves victims of parental neglect. What well functioning family would have no concern for their teen to be out late with no supervision?

Greenville needs a curfew because obviously there are a lot of parents living there who can't/won't function as parents. The parents should have imposed a curfew for their minor children. Since they don't, the city must put it into law to prevent innocent people from getting hurt.
What about the majority of kids who aren't doing anything wrong? Should they be punished too? Why can't the cops go after the few bad apples and forget the curfews?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
New article from WYFF on this: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news....html#comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It is supposed to be a free country. If they start curfews for teens, the next thing you know, they'll have them for adults. Besides,it sounds like there was no crime even committed except disturbing the peace. Loud noises and kids running happen all the time in big cities. I think we all need to relax a little.
It was not just a loud noise but a gun going off. What if an innocent bystander was hit by the bullet? Oh and it was a crime also: 3 charged after fight at Greenville's Falls Park - FOX Carolina 21 You can relax all you want. I won't until the problem is solved once and for all.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM

374 posts, read 834,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Start charging the parents who think it's society's job to raise their kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
All I know is, my kids are at home under adult supervision at night. They don't own guns to shoot. Are you seriously siding with the parents who don't raise their kids? Really? Wow. Then who is supposed to guide them? Government? Video games? Rap videos? It's showing.
Should have reworded my sarcasm...

Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
Should have reworded my sarcasm...
It's all good. I have no patience when it comes to bad behavior. I saw plenty of it growing up. Adults and teens.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 AM

609 posts, read 1,620,166 times
It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area