Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

...about to land in Greenville I haven't seen in 4 years and will want a gluten free lunch....

My nephew requires Gluten Free food. Is Coffee to Tea at 1 Augusta Rd any good? Their site says they have a gluten free menu but then don't show it. I wonder if you have to call ahead.

Are there any other options that have a nice atmosphere and good food? It doesn't have to be a discount all you can eat place. Ethnic restaurants would be ok. Bistro type with outdoor seating (if it isn't raining tomorrow) would be nice or it could be more of a sit-down white table cloth place but we will be dressed casually. More natural/organic is best (without having to schelp to Woodruff Rd)? Thanks SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Two outta the three eating members of our family are gf. If you do Asian, rice noodles are safe, anything with soy sauce isn't (soy sauce has gluten). If you do Mexican, corn tortillas, not flour. Surprisingly Chipotle is very gf friendly, all of their bowls and tacos are gf; not the burritos though, as they are a flour tortilla. When we do Fuddruckers we order the burger without a bun and bring our own gf bun. Whole Foods makes their own gf bread and it is excellent and almost all Supermarkets in the area carry Rudi's and Udi's brands of gf bread, buns. bagels, etc. Supposedly Travinia om Woodruff offers several of their pasta dishes in gf pasta, which is quite tasty, it's simply brown rice pasta and the texture is similar to flour pasta. Most restaurants offer gf items as celiac has become so common. Hope that helped. Anything else I can do, feel free to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
...about to land in Greenville I haven't seen in 4 years and will want a gluten free lunch....

My nephew requires Gluten Free food. Is Coffee to Tea at 1 Augusta Rd any good? Their site says they have a gluten free menu but then don't show it. I wonder if you have to call ahead.

Are there any other options that have a nice atmosphere and good food? It doesn't have to be a discount all you can eat place. Ethnic restaurants would be ok. Bistro type with outdoor seating (if it isn't raining tomorrow) would be nice or it could be more of a sit-down white table cloth place but we will be dressed casually. More natural/organic is best (without having to schelp to Woodruff Rd)? Thanks SO MUCH!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Two outta the three eating members of our family are gf. If you do Asian, rice noodles are safe, anything with soy sauce isn't (soy sauce has gluten). If you do Mexican, corn tortillas, not flour. Surprisingly Chipotle is very gf friendly, all of their bowls and tacos are gf; not the burritos though, as they are a flour tortilla. When we do Fuddruckers we order the burger without a bun and bring our own gf bun. Whole Foods makes their own gf bread and it is excellent and almost all Supermarkets in the area carry Rudi's and Udi's brands of gf bread, buns. bagels, etc. Supposedly Travinia om Woodruff offers several of their pasta dishes in gf pasta, which is quite tasty, it's simply brown rice pasta and the texture is similar to flour pasta. Most restaurants offer gf items as celiac has become so common. Hope that helped. Anything else I can do, feel free to ask.
Thanks. Yes I know the chains have gluten free menus and of course Whole Foods but they are just in town for lunch and then leaving. Bringing them to Woodruff Rd doesn't provide a lot of Greenville charm. I was hoping to find something downtown or with a pretty view of something. I've just lived here a short while and haven't had time to check everything out.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM

156 posts, read 356,357 times
Mellow Mushroom downtown has a gf pizza. There is a Living Social 50% off deal for them today! (they also have soy free dairy free cheese which is good for us since our daughter is gluten and dairy free). Wherever we go downtown we usually special order steamed shrimp, grilled chicken, steak, or another meat and ask them to keep it dairy and soy free (use olive oil to keep it soy free if that's what you require) and have steamed rice. Lazy Goat will do this downtown, as well as Handi Indian restaurant, and Soby's. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
Quote:
Hi, I also have to eat g/f so I have a question: specifically, at which supermarkets are the Rudi's and Udi's brand available? I've lived here for over 1 1/2 years and have never seen them at Bi-Lo or Publix ( rarely go to Ingles so wouldn't know about it). I've checked the g/f section at Bi-lo but can't even remember if the Publix near me has one but at least they carry a frozen rice bread that I've gotten before but it's so pricey I usually go to Earth Fare when I'm around there because the g/f breads cost a little less.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Hi, I also have to eat g/f so I have a question: specifically, at which supermarkets are the Rudi's and Udi's brand available? I've lived here for over 1 1/2 years and have never seen them at Bi-Lo or Publix ( rarely go to Ingles so wouldn't know about it). I've checked the g/f section at Bi-lo but can't even remember if the Publix near me has one but at least they carry a frozen rice bread that I've gotten before but it's so pricey I usually go to Earth Fare when I'm around there because the g/f breads cost a little less.
The Ingles closest to us, which is one of the nicest Ingles around, on Locust Hill Rd. (Hwy 290) sells Udi's and Rudi's breads and hotdog and hamburger buns. They actually have a pretty extensive gf selection. Trader Joes, Publix and WF's also sell gf bread.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
The Ingles closest to us, which is one of the nicest Ingles around, on Locust Hill Rd. (Hwy 290) sells Udi's and Rudi's breads and hotdog and hamburger buns. They actually have a pretty extensive gf selection. Trader Joes, Publix and WF's also sell gf bread.
Thanks, I suspected as much, but Earth Fare is still closer to me than any of those other places. I might end up one of these days trying a recipe to make my own.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM

156 posts, read 356,357 times
Publix sells Udi's brand but keeps it frozen. I've only seen Rudi's at Earth Fare and Whole Foods. Trader Joes also carries Udi's (along with WF's). Both Udi's and Rudi's websites have $1 off coupons frequently. Trader Joe's is usually $1 less than Whole Foods. Not sure about Earth Fare.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the extra info!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:20 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
You can also try Ezekiel bread. Although it's wheat, it's sprouted wheat which has zero gluten. It's usually in the frozen food section and you have to keep it refrigerated or the sprouted wheat goes bad.

It's another option and very healthy, although we like the Udi's bread better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area