Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 AM

609 posts, read 1,623,283 times

Advertisements

What are the WORST Life Cycles of Greenville / Upstate that need CHANGE in 2012?

What are Life Cycles?
These are habits we see recycled over the years to the point people comment about them in friendly conversation. Or we can call it, "culture"

Things I've Seen:

- People are too cliquish. Resources are poorly divided in SC

- City lacks the proper tools to engage Urban/Minority culture [ builds pride & dignity ]

- City lacks Youth entertainment . you really think you can tell kids to go in at 10pm and not create a worse situation? Check your news in 2 months. Failed in the early/mid 90s, it will fail again .

- Public transporation, for lack of a better word, SUCKS. The routes are bad and Greenville seems to not understand the way a city grows in bring new people to the city with new ideas. Cater to the young college graduates crowd.

- I think Greenville Tech needs to become a focal point of building a 'hipster' community. It will bring a lot more money into Greenville. Just my opinion but Greenville does not know how to cater to Youth... ever

feel free to reply and stay on topic. This is not a debate. I encourage everyone to ignore those that try to debate.

Last edited by sojones; 04-05-2012 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 AM

5,500 posts, read 8,362,540 times
You have choices. You could move like i did from my hometown. Don't feed me that minority stuff. Why don't other groups complain as much as ours? As long as it's someone else's fault. Right? Come on brother.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,579,103 times
Sojones - Isn't debate a basic part of the reason we have these forums in the first place?

First of all, the term "hipsters" and the images it conjures make my skin crawl.... But hey, I"m Old Skool. However, I'd LOVE to see GT continue to grow in size and importance, eventually becoming a 4-year institution.

You do have a point about lacking youth entertainment. I honestly have no idea what that would entail beyond our local sports teams, movies, etc, but something is needed as evidenced by recent events downtown.

And as far as mass transit goes, I've made my feelings on that clear in a few other threads. But Greenlink is on an upward trajectory. I think it's incumbent upon them to advertise and keep Greenlink top-of-mind with area citizens - communicate the advantages and great things about letting someone else do the driving, saving gas, helping the environment, etc. Hopefully ridership will increase, justifying new routes and increased frequencies.

Redcliffe - I agree, mainly in the fact that one's world is what one makes it for him/herself. Everyone has the ability to study hard, win scholarships & grants, get a great education and find good work. But it requires sacrifice and persistence that many seem to lack. I've never understood why.

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 04-05-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM

11,714 posts, read 24,875,530 times
I actually agree that the mass transit system in this area sucks and there needs to be more emphasis on universities expanding in this area. The good news is that both of these are on the upswing. Mauldin and Simpsonville are about to get new transit service from Greenlink (three buses have been ordered for it) and USC Upstate along with Clemson have both recently announced major expansions for the downtown area.

Last edited by g-man430; 04-05-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 AM

374 posts, read 837,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I actually agree that the mass transit system in this area sucks and there needs to be more emphasis on universities expanding in this area. The good news is that both of these are on the upswing.
IMHO. No matter how anyone wants to tag/label it...'Public Transportation' is 10+ yrs out from being an alternate for most getting around Greenville... let alone the Metro areas.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:37 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,150,946 times
Why is it so cliquish there from what I hear? You would think with all the transplants that have moved there, it would be less cliquish. I don't live there but I like to see everyone get along no matter what group you belong to, no matter if you're rich or poor, and so forth. I like to see all types of people mingle and enjoy themselves so no one feels like an outcast. Is it really that noticeable?

I think public transportation is a good idea as well. It just needs to have enough routes and come frequently.

I've noticed there isn't much for youth to do. I'm not talking about the past shooting either. I think it's good to have safe and supervised places for them to hang out with friends. It seems the area caters more towards families with young children or the older crowd that kids have grown.

I think Greenville is a great area but I think there are some gaps. I think they can be fixed easily. I also know no place is perfect but this is just my opinion on this topic.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM

745 posts, read 2,237,987 times
What is with all of the roadside trash?? Especially in the rural areas, folks seem to think that the world is their ashtray. I wish people would have more pride in keeping the greater Greenville area the beautiful region that it is. I could live with the run-down trailers and junk cars; that's the rural south for ya. But roadside trash irks me.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 AM

298 posts, read 689,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post

City lacks the proper tools to engage Urban/Minority culture [ builds pride & dignity ]
Since when is this a governmental responsibility? Why doesn't the Urban/Minority culture go out and build pride & dignity on its own?

Last edited by Shadetree930; 04-06-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM

684 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Vague "crime rate" of area still seems a bit higher than comfortable sometimes.

Random google link: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM

298 posts, read 689,467 times
Crime rates can be misleading. There is not a consistent methodolgy for reporting non-violent crimes vs violent crimes across agencies nationwide. Therefore crime may be underreported in some municipalities,skewing the numbers of those fully reporting municipalities negatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area