Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM

212 posts, read 423,208 times

Advertisements

I've gone more this last year than normal, since we have a teenager in the house (exchange student). Otherwise, it would be once every other month on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
At least twice a month usually brought on by a visit to Belk for clothing then it turns into dinner and checking into some other stores.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM

609 posts, read 1,619,773 times
I go everytime I'm at home.

I agree the outisde could use a rehab.

I also think a mall should have more forms of popular culture entertainment. Unless it's changed in last 6 months < I think it needs to get aquainted with the NEW YOUTH GENERATION and hipster culture

Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Anywhere between 1-2 to 10 depending on the year, but really my biggest beef is the distance from where I live to the mall...I just don't feel like driving over an hour just to get there when I have another mall that's 15-20 minutes from me instead. I probably would never go if Spencers moved back to our mall, we gained an Express Men's, a Barnes & Nobel, and a slightly better selection at the ones we have. Actually, I take that back, I know I wouldn't go if that was the case.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Completely agreed! Someone unfamiliar would probably look at it and say, "No thanks!". The parking lots (except the garages) are AWFUL as well. Sad, because Haywood has a great offering of stores and products available.
I think as malls go it is a lot more attractive than the Citadel Mall in Charleston but that isn't saying much as the Citadel is really run down and NOTHING to write home about as malls go.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
and hipster (emphasis mine) culture
There's that WORD again! IMHO, Greenville is refreshingly lacking in that department. Yes, we have plenty of young professionals and techies, but I find "hipsters" to be self-absorbed ninnies. Believe me, my partner has to schmooze them as part of his job (he travels with his job).

Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM

557 posts, read 864,683 times
Once a month I would guess. The place serves a purpose and can always improve.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Once or twice since moving here a year ago and it's usually for a specific store, not to walk to mall.

Malls are all the same now, there's nothing really unique in the way of stores, that would draw a person in to a particular mall that you couldn't find in another mall. If there was some type of a draw to the mall maybe I'd feel differently but I can go to any mall and find just about all the same stores that's at Haywood.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
I have not been to Haywood Mall in over three years. In that time span, several of my favorite stores have closed or relocated elsewhere. I am content going to Westgate in Spartanburg if I need something, but I usually patron other stores.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Once or twice since moving here a year ago and it's usually for a specific store, not to walk to mall.

Malls are all the same now, there's nothing really unique in the way of stores, that would draw a person in to a particular mall that you couldn't find in another mall. If there was some type of a draw to the mall maybe I'd feel differently but I can go to any mall and find just about all the same stores that's at Haywood.
You're right, most malls in most markets are rather generic, with the same typical mix of stores, especially since most regional dept. stores have been merged into Macy's. Gone are the days of Rich's, Hecht's, Lazarus, and Burdine's. They're all pretty much the same now, as the trendier Macy's name allows for more celebrity endorsements of cheap Chinese made clothing, and a consolidation of advertising and distribution. But Haywood is the only Upstate mall with a Macy's, along with certain other stores, so it can still serve as more of a regional shopping destination. But somehow, they do need to renovate the outside of the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area