Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: where would you live and why?
greenville 17 80.95%
vero bch., fla 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,231,871 times

Advertisements

i posted this question on the fla forum too. a native floridian (live in orlando) looking at his options...like to get opinions/feedback from both sc'ians and floridians... please note that i have lived in both nc and fla, and i appreciate both states and what they have to offer. i enjoy aspects of both nc/sc and florida.

i have the option to move both places. a job isnt really much of an issue - i could get a (transfer) and both jobs pay about the same. housing in vero bch seems pretty reasonable, but greenville, sc is still cheaper imo.

if i do not transfer into lateral position, a job would be harder to come by in vero bch, i would think. greenville is 3 times the size, with more jobs available. other positives to greenville are change of seasons, hills, and it's just a nice area with friendly ppl, good drivers, lots of floridians live up there now. also havr family in the area. the downside to greenville is that: it isnt fla, not a fan of the weather from oct - march... dreery, cold, grey. no beach. far from family in fla. i will miss fla.

on the other hand i like vero bch as it seemed much quieter, less congested, less crime, and ppl seemed much more friendly and had the ability to actually driver a car and act civil, something that seems hard to do here in orlando, where i live now. although i was only in vero bch for a short period of time, i got a really good impression. my only downside i saw to vero bch was : how long before it gets to be like west palm bch and ft lauderdale (crowded, etc...)? and less job avaliablity. if i switched jobs and/or careers, where would i go? there's not a lot there in vero bch.

i give greenville and vero bch both a 7.5 - 8.0 out of a 10-pt. scale. hard decision. what would you all do? i appreciate the input. i realize by posting on the greenville forum, i am probably going to get more greenville votes. on the fla forum, vero bch won pretty easily (thus far). i appreciate the votes everyone.

Last edited by backtofla; 09-07-2007 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,006,599 times
I can't answer the poll honestly because I haven't lived in Greenville. However, I think it's a bit strange, since Vero Beach is a small city and relatively quiet, plus a majority of its residents are retired. I stayed there for a month several years ago and thought it was charming. Coincidentally, Vero Beach is the place where I looked at homes last year and they were lovely. The area seemed to still be safe and the beaches were clean and not too crowded. Traffic was very congested, especially in Feb/Mar although it's not as bad as Palm Beach County further south. The real estate isn't as expensive as Naples or Bonita Springs on the West Coast where I live but the 3 bedroom townhome I saw was still $230,000. I looked at some older villas for $189,000. This is way out of my price range, but the agent wanted me to see them for comparison. When you add in the HOA, taxes & insurance, anywhere in FL is going to cost more than many states, but we have no state income tax. The only reason I would choose FL over somewhere else is because I like living up the road from a white, sandy beach with 80 degree water. It's also very green here 365 days a year. I'm not so sure I could adjust to winter in an area where temps fall into the 20s, so I understand your comment about the weather.

So maybe I haven't answered your question properly, since I haven't lived in both places. My answer still might be "Vero Beach if I could afford to live there." There really isn't much to do there (it's commonly called Zero Beach) but I'm not a party animal. However, someone who enjoys the nightlife in Greenville would most likely find Vero Beach to be boring. I think Greenville will grow faster and have more job opportunities for most people - something you mentioned as well. Again, I would never compare the 2 cities. Maybe Greenville/Jacksonville or Greenville/Fort Myers but Vero to me is more of a retirement community. I just checked and Vero Beach has les than 20,000 residents and I'm guessing half of them are snowbirds. Greenville has over 600,000 people according to a 2006 census.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-07-2007 at 01:20 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 02:03 PM

wow, i had no idea greenville was so big. i have been there quite a few times, but i had no idea it was that big. (i just said the same thing twice. forgive me).

anyhow, i know it is kind of wierd to compare the two. both pretty different, but i like them both and can see myself living in either. one reason vero bch is so appealing is b/c it is quiet, and seemed much safer, prettier, cleaner, friendlier, and so on than orlando. so i can really appreciate living in a town like that, especially being so close to the beaches.

greenville appeals to me for others reasons of which i have an appreciation for. a bigger city than vero bch for sure, but still has that friendly, neat and clean atmosphere, and many floridians have now called greenville home. also, the job situation is better in g'ville as well.

family and friends are close by in both places. both places are pretty, friendly, clean, etc... so i am having a time with this one... nothing is set in stone or going to happen immediately. but i like to research a little early.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:57 PM

5,598 posts, read 15,450,100 times
Seriously, I have never been to a place in Florida that I would rather live than in Greenville. If you love the Florida beach lifestyle then you would obviously be much better off staying there. If you want to live in a growing progressive city near the mountains, Greenville is a great choice. As for safety, I have never been threatened here and yet I have been out all over and at all times of day and night. Greenville is a tremendous place to raise a family and it shows.

City of Greenville
(http://greatergreenville.com/ - broken link)

City of Vero Beach

Old 09-07-2007, 03:33 PM

51 posts, read 170,586 times
One thing I would like to point out, Greenville (the city of has approx. 56,000)not 600,000. I think that is either Greenville county, or the surrounding counties combined. Someone with better knowledge can clarify on that. It's a mid-size city, with small town charm

Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM

i was thinking greenville had about 60k ppl, not 600k. maybe the person above threw in an extra "0" on accident.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 14,184 times
I am from melbourne, Just a little north of vero, and we moved to Greenville 2 years ago. I think it is correct to say you really can't compare. There are things about FL we miss dearly, but there are plenty of wonderful things about Greenville and the surrounding areas as well. I was born in Melbourne, and it was a sleepy little beach town, but it isnt that anymore, and we left in search of a better place to raise our children. We have found that here. You can get much more home for your money in SC, land- if your interested in going rural.

WE actually were toying around with the idea of moving back to Melbourne a couple months ago, (my family is there) but after doing some research and soul searching, I knew it would be a big step backwards. There is so much more opportunity here, and I just feel FL is really unstable. ANyway, good luck to you!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 PM

i have been to melbourne... it's okay, but really couldnt compare it to vero bch. me personally, think vero bch is nicer, but that's just me. thanks for the thoughts kshell.

ps- i am afraid to move to greenville in a way, b/c i will miss fla. but i have to do what's best, and whether that's vero bch or greenville, either one is a big step up from orlando. better believe it!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 PM

kshell, did you vote?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 23,126 times
Hi...

I am new to this forum...I live in Florida and we are going to move to SC next year for our retirement. I grew up in Florida, moved around the country and came back 5 yrs ago. Its not the same anymore. I live in a beachy town near Daytona which is nice but taxes, home prices, etc have gone up and the atmosphere is so different.
My vote is SC but each person must search their own heart and decide which is best for them.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area