Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,006 times

Advertisements

Im a recent college graduate 22 year old male moving to spartanburg from Atlanta. I was hoping you all could give me some advice on where to live. Where are some good areas for young people to live around Spartanburg?

Also I am going to be working for Georgia Pacific in the plant in Spartanburg. So any tips about that are also greatly apprecaited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,552,504 times
I'm sure being fresh out of school your budget is limited. But my favorite part of Spartanburg starts at downtown and runs along E. Main St between downtown and the Hillcrest area. Hillcrest has lots of shopping, amenities, etc. The older neighborhoods closer to downtown, like Converse Heights, are very nice - older homes on beautiful, mature lots with huge trees, etc. I'm sure there are some older/unique apartments in that area, but don't really know much in-depth (I live in Greenville).

Otherwise, the nicer "new" stuff is conentrated mainly along John B. White, Sr. Blvd. west/southwest of downtown near I-26.

There are some folks from Spartanburg who will no doubt chime in with more specific (and accurate!) info. Congrats on your new job and good luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,547,304 times
Congrats on your new job, but you'll probably find yourself very depressed soon by some of the people here, the lack of things to do, long distance between areas (general ruralness), backwards laws, lack of progress, a car as your only form of transportation, nothing really ever going on, etc. It's going to be quite the culture shock.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,552,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Congrats on your new job, but you'll probably find yourself very depressed soon by some of the people here, the lack of things to do, long distance between areas (general ruralness), backwards laws, lack of progress, a car as your only form of transportation, nothing really ever going on, etc. It's going to be quite the culture shock.
OP: While Spartanburg is no sparkling city on a hill, it's not THAT bad. It's a typical Southern city of its size. There's not shortage of backward laws in the US by the way (couldn't get a bloody mary at O'Hare Airport in Chicago before noon on a Sunday, etc) - Spartanburg is no different from other larger cities in that regard.

Again, what the quoted poster says generally about the area could describe any non-metropolis, esp. in the South. But I'm sure you knew that when you accepted the job in Spartanburg.

The thing to remember is, your world is what YOU make of it. Make yours great!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
Any time one packs up and moves whether it is 50 miles of 3000, there is a cultural shock because your in a motel in a strange town and you suddenly can't answer a simple question: "Where is the nearest restaurant?" To move from a large MSA to a much smaller one is most assuredly a huge shock!

The good news is you will find familiar stores like trader Joe's in nearby Greenville, you will find your niche and adjust. Moving is the first day of the rest of your life; an exciting journey. You'll find all kinds of treasures waiting to be discovered in the uplands. Enjoy it.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 PM

183 posts, read 303,513 times
I don't know, the general consensus is that Spartanburg is a pretty bad place.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM

110 posts, read 456,036 times
Default Spartanburg

Congratulations on your new job.
I have lived in Spartanburg for many years and enjoy life here. It's hard to recommend an area you'd like without knowing what you enjoy and what is important to you. Spartanburg is going to be a lot quieter and will have less to do than Atlanta, but you won't take an hour to drive too work either. People are warm and friendly here.

Spartanburg is not large, but we do have 5 colleges in town, so there is more culture than you would expect for a town our size.

Greenville probably has more shopping restaurants and clubs, but it is only 45 minutes away. So you could go on the weekend or live there and commute to Spartanburg.

Please don't listen to the haters. I wonder if people understand that they are insulting other folk's homes.... Judge for yourself.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet888 View Post
Congratulations on your new job.
I have lived in Spartanburg for many years and enjoy life here. It's hard to recommend an area you'd like without knowing what you enjoy and what is important to you. Spartanburg is going to be a lot quieter and will have less to do than Atlanta, but you won't take an hour to drive too work either. People are warm and friendly here.

Spartanburg is not large, but we do have 5 colleges in town, so there is more culture than you would expect for a town our size.

Greenville probably has more shopping restaurants and clubs, but it is only 45 minutes away. So you could go on the weekend or live there and commute to Spartanburg.

Please don't listen to the haters. I wonder if people understand that they are insulting other folk's homes.... Judge for yourself.
"Greenville probably has more"? Sorry I couldn't pass that up.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
I don't know, the general consensus is that Spartanburg is a pretty bad place.
Yes there have been a lot of negative comments about Spartanburg here on C-D, mostly from folks who don't seem to live there. Unless you've lived in Spartanburg or can speak firsthand, which it appears you are not, it is very unfair to pass along uninformed hearsay.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM

19 posts, read 38,905 times
Hi atlg42 do not listen to the haters on this site. Very few if any people on this site are from Spartanburg. The haters from the Greenville area are on this site. They seem to be very jealous of Spartanburg. They do not know a thing about our city. I moved to Spartanburg from Columbia,S.C. and have also lived in Atlanta. I have lived in Spartanburg for several years. I love it here and you will too. I moved to a neighborhood called Converse Heights and it is awesome. Seven plus new resturants have just opened downtown and on the Eastside. Our downtown keeps getting better everyday. We have several trails and a new downtown Ymca near Converse Heights. We have many great shops, shopping, resturants, parks, etc. Look forward to having another Atlanta neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area