Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,282 times

Advertisements

I am currently a high school science teacher in Toledo, Ohio. The job is a nightmare and I have considered relocating to the Greenville area. I would really appreciate any first hand information that could be provided about the schools. ( Administration, parent involvement, etc... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 05:05 PM

128 posts, read 613,342 times
Default YAY for northern teachers!

Hi,

I'm a high school teacher that just moved here from Michigan, where I taught for two years, so I can completely relate to the job market stress. I would totally recommend moving here, both for the city and for the schools, at least in my opinion. If you haven't been here, you will LOVE it (no offense, but so much better than Toledo, and where I'm from of course as well).

The schools here offer 500 reimbursement to move, and 500 for each class you take should you decide to go back to school, along with other benefits to being a district employee. The schools are extremely well funded, most of the high schools are newly renovated if not brand new, every classroom at the school where I teach has a promethean board, and the administration at my school is far superior to where I taught before. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly downfalls to teaching in the South, more specifically S. Carolina, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Feel free to email me for more infom jpoole52@yahoo.com.
Best of luck with your move, should you decide to do it (which I really would recommend!)

Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 AM

Thanks a million. It really is great to have someone teaching down there to offer some advice ( especially when you are from this area ). Are there any schools in particular that you think I should look into?

Old 09-21-2007, 04:23 AM

I'd prefer not to say where I teach on here (you can send me a PM if you like). It really depends what you're looking for and what kind of population you like working with. My bf works at Blue Ridge, certainly more rural, but known around the district for having good kids and a great administration. I'd look into Riverside, Greenville, Mauldin (very large though), Wade Hampton, but really, most the schools would be fine, Berea has a nice school. The only ones I'd prefer to steer clear of would be Hillcrest and Eastside.

It's really too bad you didn't post on here earlier, my school was needing a permanant sub for a science class and they JUST found one. It would have been a great opportunity! When are you planning to move? Do you have a job for this year? I guarantee things will post even partway through the year.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 AM

I am under contract for the remainder of this year and therefore can't leave until the 08-09 school year ( if I try they will revoke my license ). I am hoping to have some solid leads on jobs by december or january. That may be extremely optimistic but I don't want to have to scramble at the last minute. I have planned several trips to the area to see first hand if it is indeed where I want to go but a move is not even a possibility until june.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
A friend of mine from Virginia recently applied, was immediately contacted by the principal of a local Greenville area high school, met once, and was hired on the spot. That is how much we need good teachers to fill the growing demand.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:34 AM

as far as i remember, GCS posted most of their anticipated openings for the coming school year in april or may. As a math person, you'll have no problem whatsoever finding the job you want, don't jump on one too early, you'll have the pick of the litter. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area