Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2016, 09:56 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times

Advertisements

I remember my grandmother dragging me to the Kash and Karry store on Buncombe. Seemed sketchy to me as a kid but she'd drive all over to save 50 cents.

She also loved to drag me to Sky City stores for back to school clothes. Also always ended up at the Hamrick's on White Horse (which just closed this year). I also remember being drug to some kind of a clothing outlet store near where the Texize plant was in Mauldin.

Anyone remember the Hungry Fisherman (?) with the pond out on Pelham Road? I remember them as a small chain as a kid. They had huge aquariums of exotic fish inside their restaurants that I found fascinating as a kid.

The Eckerd drug store in McAlister square also had a restaurant. Both were originally part of a Walgreens but that was before my time. I think there was also a Walgreens store in a shopping complex near Bob Jones that is now used for their elementary school. Somehow McAlister square seemed more upscale than Greenville Mall to me as a kid - can't think of why but it did.

I also remember JB White in the old Greenville mall - like an more upscale Belk's. My grandmother would get a box for every shirt she bought there to use to wrap clothes at Christmas. Just because there was a JB White box under the wrapping paper didn't mean she bought it there! Greenville Mall also had a Burger King - seem to vaguely remember it had a sign that was unusual - maybe it rotated or something?

Once Haywood Mall opened, it seemed to kill off both Greenville Mall and McAlister Square.

I remember Woodruff Road was 2 lanes after it crossed I-85. We would cut back that way to my Gradnmother's house out in the country (near Simpsonville). I seem to remember a fork in the road on Woodruff where we went right that had a hardware / farmer supply store that sold tractors. Once you passed over I-85, Woodruff Road very quickly disappeared into rural farmland. When they started building I-385, they dug a big hole for the Woodruff Road interchange and they routed Woodruff road in a big semi-circle around the construction. My grandmother claimed it would bring growth to Simpsonville and all I could think was, "who would want to live in Simpsonville?" She was certainly right on that prediction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 10:27 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
That would have been Her Majesty. Ben drug around in there myself

I miss The Hungry Fisherman. It was one of our favorite places to eat.

The only tractor place I recall was actualy on 101, and its still there, but they sell lawnmowers now, ut that was closer into Woodruff. (Right up the road from the maniacs place.) But backthen, bearing off of Woodruff to the right would be right. It was changed several years ago.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:58 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Visatiger
Mrs Firecrackers fireworks on Augusta
They.. First, I think that building has been condemned. If not, it probably should be.

Their FB page said that they were going to open in a new location in time for 4th of July 2016, but it never happened.

A tad south in Simpsonville, and it's still (mostly) there, but Golden Park back when they had the go-karts, driving range and bumper boats.

At one time, Greenville had about 6 or 7 Schlotzsky's.. Down to just the one up on Old Spartanburg in Greer.

Anyone remember the Empress of China on Wade Hampton? That was a really good chinese place.

Putt-Putt on Wade Hampton.. Closed and razed around 1998/1999.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:31 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Yes Empress of China was very good Labonte18. I also remember going to the Putt-Putt on Wade Hampton next to the Cinema in front of WHHS in the 90's sometime. I believe all that land is being cleared now for the Lidl construction.

Someone mentioned the Eckerd in the old shopping mall at BJU. I also remember the small theater there on the lower level in the late 80's. Can not remember the name. What other stores were there before BJU took it over?

Old 11-08-2016, 03:52 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
Remember the island that was in the middle of the lake at the Hungry Fisherman? It was home to aggressive swans,geese and God knows what else.I carried my then year old daughter,who is now 28, over to see the birds.We were charged By a big black bird that was about three feet tall.I tumbled backwards almost dropping the baby,all while kicking at the bird with my feet! Ah...those were the days!

Old 11-08-2016, 04:00 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Ive had to listen to the perils of "Golden Park" for the last 11 years. Guy I use to work with worked there, and still goes to Golden Skate, and has been for years.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:24 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
I don't really remember being dragged to Her Majesty as a kid,but I do remember my mother speaking of that place and the name itself makes my skin crawl!

Old 11-08-2016, 05:47 PM

632 posts, read 748,693 times
Par 3 Golf where Home Depot is Greer is now located.
Par 3 Golf where the self storage is, across from the old Liberty life building.... which also scores as a blast from the past.
K-Mart Wade Hampton in Greer
Woods Lake swimming pool
Oak grove swimming lake
Pine grove Swimming lake

Vistatiger
That little theater survived by showing Dollar movies, for years. Cheap place to kill time on a tight budget.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:54 PM

17 posts, read 32,911 times
Irishai Japanese Restaurant on Rushmore Dr near Wade Hampton Boulevard
Pumpers Gas on Haywood Rd
Johnny Rockets on Haywood Rd and Transit Dr across Harbor Inn Seafood
Ruby Tuesday at McAlister Square.
Checkers next to Chick-Fil-A on Laurens Rd

Woodruff Rd used to be full of trees and bushes.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:55 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Miss those $1.00 movie places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area