Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,406,073 times

Advertisements

What are the best places in town for vegetarians? Are there any Indian or Middle-Eastern restaurants?

I'm thrilled to see that both Earth Fare and Whole Foods have stores in Greenville. Do either of them have in-house restaurants/cafes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,814,832 times
We had the same question (about Indian food) and were pleasantly surprised to find an new Indian restaurant on main street, downtown. Don't remember the name, but it was packed this weekend during the festival. Someone else recommended India Palace, I believe, on Pleasantburg and Laurens. This is my 4th day here in Greenville, but we have been impressed with the dining choices so far as we wait for our furniture/kitchen stuff to arrive - except for the overlook grill, ick, ick, ick. Not really vegetarian anyway.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 17,529 times
Default Indian restaurants in Greenville

There is a restuarant called Saffron which caters Indian dishes. They are located on Garlington road(opp the Red Robin). I like it better than India Palace. They have a daily buffet for $8. The place is packed on Friday's and weekends.
There is also a Bombay Bistro on Woodruff road(managed by India Palace), which opened recently but not had a chance to check it out.
Check it out!!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,406,073 times
Are there any Middle Eastern restaurants around?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,856,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post

I'm thrilled to see that both Earth Fare and Whole Foods have stores in Greenville. Do either of them have in-house restaurants/cafes?
whole foods has a wood fired pizza bar, and a little cafe too, pretty cool

Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM

105 posts, read 384,419 times
for Indian restaurants there's Handi, India Palace, Saffron and SWAD

Middle Eastern there's Pita House on Pleasantburg and Pita Stop in Simpsonville.

Earth Fare does have an in house cafe with a hot bar and a salad bar, they also have sushi and wraps.

if anyone is a vegan (like my wife is) Brixx on Woodruff has a veggie cheese option for there pizzas. Barley's does tofu wraps, sandwiches and salads and Moe's also has tofu.

its slow moving but more places are starting to offer vegetarian and vegan options.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 AM

609 posts, read 1,623,045 times
I was a vegetarian for a year but could not sustain the diet here .... the places to eat are VERY limited...... and I need to try new things.... it gets too boring cooking at home all the time b/c I could not coook everything I wanted on the first try and make it taste good LOL

some reccomendations above I'd approve of though... just where will ug et your protein on anything Pizza related?

but I know i was heavy on Tofu and that stopped here... nobody really made good Tofu dishes in my area that I could find.... usually too slimy....

and beyond that, most the places cooking are just fast food restaurants as the south is submerged in unhealthy food preparation techniques b/c chain restaurants s rule the south

I just try to cook at home most of the time and really limit my outside eating

Whole Foods Grocery is here though....... try their buffett

Old 10-20-2007, 06:04 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,892,510 times
Charlie Swords list is excellent and I must say SWAD is a favorite!

In addition to numerous restaurants, Greenville has a very healthy, natural market scene including Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Garner Natural Market, Fresh Market and numerous local ethnic markets such as Indian. Probably the best collection of any city in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area