Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:40 PM

82 posts, read 196,743 times

Advertisements

I have a 9 year old son and we are looking at a small adult bike and he is a small 9 year old. I second talking to the guys at Great Escape. They helped us a lot when we bought his last bike (his learning bike) and gave us lots of great ideas on how to teach him quickly. Once you go to some of the local shops if you feel that is too much to pay you may want to check out REI. They would be my next choice after a bike specialty shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,879,641 times
Learning how to maintain and fix small problems on a bicycle is a great way to teach valuable skills to a youngster. Even if you are a klutz with tools with the help of your kid you can probably figure it out. Don't spend $500 on a bike to learn on. A $20 garage sale special can be a great machine to learn on. Let your kid "customize" it the way he sees fit. Learning how to barter and trade for the parts he needs with other kids is another learning experience.

GL2

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM

557 posts, read 866,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I was in the same situation as you about a year ago (needed a quality bike for my young daughter) - unfortunately, most local bike shops in the Upstate do not sell used bikes - you might be able to get an "end of the model year" discount on a new bike. My preferred LBS is Great Escape - the customer service is outstanding.

I browsed Craigslist for months until someone happened to be selling a gently used Gary Fisher kids bike - it was perfect and the price was fantastic (only $80) - though I did have to drive to Spartanburg to get it.

I highly recommend Craigslist.
AGREED!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM

807 posts, read 1,787,659 times
There is a man that lives across from the YMCA in Easley. He has sold second hand bikes for years and usually has a large selection. You might want to check him out.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:31 PM

607 posts, read 1,404,737 times
I always see various sorts of bicycles for sale when I go to Goodwill stores. Some are in bettter shape than others, but it might be worth a shot if you have the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area