Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 02:49 AM

70 posts, read 164,030 times

Advertisements

im a 40 year old male married with 3 children 17,8,4 years old..i will be retired from nypd and my wife is a registered nurse..we currently live on long island in a 1500 sq ft home paying 8,000 in property and school tax..we are looking for a home that is much bigger 2900-3200 sq ft..resaonably priced 375-425 k good schools/low crime/ better taxes than what we have now somewhere close for my wife to work in a hospital..we tired of the taxes of long island and want to make our money go a bit more. can i get some southern hospitality from someone and help us out on our search??

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 06:54 AM

50,435 posts, read 64,212,276 times
You are in a great position, because you can go almost anywhere, except California, and make out like a bandit. I presume you are thinking of SC, since you're on this post. We are hoping to move to SC, but we have no kids at home. I don't really know how the school systems are.
If I were you, I'd also look at Nashville, TN. It's a cool city and your wife could work at Vanderbilt.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,541,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebear12 View Post
im a 40 year old male married with 3 children 17,8,4 years old..i will be retired from nypd and my wife is a registered nurse..we currently live on long island in a 1500 sq ft home paying 8,000 in property and school tax..we are looking for a home that is much bigger 2900-3200 sq ft..resaonably priced 375-425 k good schools/low crime/ better taxes than what we have now somewhere close for my wife to work in a hospital..we tired of the taxes of long island and want to make our money go a bit more. can i get some southern hospitality from someone and help us out on our search??

bill
You could live on Lake Murray, Columbia for that much. Swim and boat all summer. Kids could go to University of SC, and live at home. Prop taxes are going down next year. Lexington 5 have award winning schools. 100 miles from beach, 100 miles from mountains.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 AM

5,597 posts, read 15,413,103 times
Raising a family, I would choose to live in Greenville anyday over Columbia. Greenville has a tremendous family friendly atmosphere with lots of free and affordable options for entertainment. The international influence in Greenville is also much greater and that has brought a major positive element to the community which is hard to compare with any other place in SC. I don't know exactly what you are looking for in a place to live, but the Greenville area has virtually everything you could hope to find. Living at the foot of the beautiful mountains is just one of the best parts about this city.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM

548 posts, read 1,982,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebear12 View Post

bill
If you're considering Greenville area I'd recommend the Eastside in the Riverside High, Riverside Middle or Northwood Middle, and Brushy Creek or Buena Vista Elementary school districts. This is area 22 and has a lot of transplants from New York/Ohio/Massachusetts. Some real estate web sites allow searching by areas. Coldwell Banker Caine is one. They show homes that are listed not just by them but by other realtors too.

I think you'll be happy with taxes and housing in your price range but don't overlook houses that are less than that range as you will find them worthy too. My house is in the neighborhood of $250K is between 2800-3200 sq.ft. and last years tax bill was just over $1800. Next year they are removing the portion for schools. Sales tax increased to 6% (to cover the removal from property tax) on everything except food which is currently 3% to be removed totally in November. Restaurant tax is I think 7%. What you might find different is that cars/boats/planes are taxed as property, however, like home taxes the portion that covers schools will be removed next year greatly reducing the amount. Income Tax is 5% (haven't heard if this is changing).

Jobs, great area for nursing. Several hospitals as well as clinics and doctors offices.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 AM

10,994 posts, read 22,028,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
You could live on Lake Murray, Columbia for that much. Swim and boat all summer. Kids could go to University of SC, and live at home. Prop taxes are going down next year. Lexington 5 have award winning schools. 100 miles from beach, 100 miles from mountains.
I second Nausikaa's opinion.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 AM

5,597 posts, read 15,413,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I second Nausikaa's opinion.
Of course you do, being the loyal Columbia real estate agent that you are. LOL

Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 AM

335 posts, read 1,182,479 times
Isn't this the Upstate forum?!? I would assume he is looking here, not Columbia, if he posted here. So I am confused as to why the push for columbia?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM

10,994 posts, read 22,028,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Of course you do, being the loyal Columbia real estate agent that you are. LOL
LOL, I like the board. I haven't picked up any business from here but that's not really why I post anyway. I actually forgot I was posting on the G-Ville section, was thinking it was under the SC forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area