Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Grissinger View Post
There are a few around the Upstate. There's one in Roper Mtn. Estates. & even a few in Easley/Powdersville. One is in Birch River. Seems that the man that owns one of the McDonald's is having it built.
You and g-man430 mentioned both of the neighborhoods I immediately thought about. I doubt many people knew about the McDonald's big-wig's home in Birch River. Some homes in The River Reserve are ridiculously lavish as well. There are other notable estates scattered around the metro area.

Here is one in Chanticleer for example: EVERGREENONCHANTICLEER.COM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I wouldn't call those type of mansions contemporary, contemporary always seem more modern, edgy to me. This home seems like a oversized McMansion in my opinion, nothing special and I personally would never purchase it but if someone gave it to me, it would be a totally different story.

This is the type of home (link below) I'd appreciate, but not on the beach instead overlooking the San Francisco Bay.

Ariola Drive Art Deco House at Film North Florida | Pensacola Bay Area Production Resources

If I lived in London, it would be a totally different story though. This is my dream home if I lived in London and my cash was right. Last time I visited London, I was amazed by this area but I never knew the cost of the homes/apartments in the area, only thing is most of them are embassies. After a little research just then I found some apartments in this area cost upwards of $32 million. Time to go buy a lottery ticket haha just playing.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wilto...ngdom&t=m&z=16
Well true. I should have chosen my words more carefully for what we are discussing; I didn't so much mean contemporary style (although I do think there are distinctions between modern and contemporary) as much as I did current/present in terms of style which is often contemporary takes on European or old world style in this area, often lacking in the character that the old European style architecture actually had.

I guess in general the overly-large homes just lose their appeal on me.

Last edited by Sunbather; 10-22-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,542 times
When the zombie apocalypse comes ( just watched walking dead) I am totally bookmarking one of these places to squat!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 AM

557 posts, read 864,925 times
I saw this article recently that may elude to some of these massive and expensive homes being built in Greenville and the surrounding area. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...nclick_check=1

Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 AM

505 posts, read 940,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You and g-man430 mentioned both of the neighborhoods I immediately thought about. I doubt many people knew about the McDonald's big-wig's home in Birch River. Some homes in The River Reserve are ridiculously lavish as well. There are other notable estates scattered around the metro area.

Here is one in Chanticleer for example: EVERGREENONCHANTICLEER.COM
It's true, that's the guy who owns the Powdersville, Easley and Pickens McDonald's franchises. I don't know if he has other stores. I worked on one of the subcontractor crews when it was being built. It's 12,000 square feet on four finished floors. It's a helluva house. Too bad Google Maps Street View is too old to show the finished house. It does show the whole structure, but not absolutely complete.

Powdersville, SC - Google Maps

Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
I find these new McMansions (especially the McDonald's guy's McMansion) to be in such poor taste, and such a display of gluttony.

Seriously, what on earth could 2 people need with 12,000 square feet of house? Imagine the resources that's consuming. The coal that's being burned. For two people?

But then again, if you've made a fortune largely by marketing poison to children, you probably don't have the greatest moral compass...

Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I find these new McMansions (especially the McDonald's guy's McMansion) to be in such poor taste, and such a display of gluttony.

Seriously, what on earth could 2 people need with 12,000 square feet of house? Imagine the resources that's consuming. The coal that's being burned. For two people?

But then again, if you've made a fortune largely by marketing poison to children, you probably don't have the greatest moral compass...
Man, glass half empty much?

To judge someone solely on their home is not right either. Who knows, maybe he gives 90% of his income to charity? We'll never know. It's the rewards of his success and risk in opening up restaurants.

As far as 'marketing poison to children'. No one forces anyone to step into a ff joint or go out to eat. That's solely on the person themselves (or for kids, their parents).

Always someone to ruin a fun thread...

Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,767,103 times
I think anyone can have whatever kind of house they want. I don't judge them but wonder why they would need so much space. I can understand if the Duggers were moving in but 2 or 3 people? After it gets so big I would think it would be less of a cozy homey feeling.

I do love looking at the nice homes and wondering what the heck those people do for a living. Greenville has some rich folk. lol Maybe a lot of transplants from other areas where the cost of living is so high. They probably sold their 2,000 sq.ft. home and made millions and they can come here and get so much more.

I enjoy looking at people's landscaping also.

Some of the homes posted look like they could use a moat.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post

To judge someone solely on their home is not right either. Who knows, maybe he gives 90% of his income to charity? We'll never know. It's the rewards of his success and risk in opening up restaurants.

As far as 'marketing poison to children'. No one forces anyone to step into a ff joint or go out to eat. That's solely on the person themselves (or for kids, their parents).
Rep to you!
What a refreshing post to see in this day and age of class warfare and jealousy of anyone who has made it. Last time I checked, we live in the land of free.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

I'm with you on this one, it's not even the cost of the home that ticks me off it's just too oversized. I have expensive taste myself and if I had the cash these people had, I'd be building (to own specifications) a modest size home near downtown Greenville with the absolute best interior features. Personally I'd go for a three to four bedroom home, rather than 10 bedrooms, 10 baths; maybe in 2006 I would go for the super large, cookie cutter, McMansions but in today's world its just a bit too much. But whatever makes them happy I guess, its their money.

SN: Every person who owns a McDonalds franchise always seem to have nice homes. When I lived in NC, the biggest coincidence happened; my family and I moved into this large three story home that we later found was owned by McDonald's franchisee, well that house had bats so we moved to a new larger home that was built in like the late 1960's, early 1970's and we found out that home was also owned by the same McDonald's franchisee, and guess who were our neighbors were behind us? The McDonalds franchise! I knew his children fairly well and my parents often joked that we'd be living in his home when he moves; unfortunately the subprime mortgage crisis occurred and we downsized to a 1,900 sq ft home and ever since then my taste in large homes has been evaporated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area