Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM

10,185 posts, read 7,846,647 times

Advertisements

We will be boating but I didn't know if there are any trails along the water of either lake where we can leave our boat and hike a little while or even maybe have a picnic.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,311,663 times
You can access Laurel Fork Falls and the Foothills trail by boat from Lake Keowee. There is a marked access on the shoreline of the lake.

Waterfall Trail

Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM

14 posts, read 55,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
You can access Laurel Fork Falls and the Foothills trail by boat from Lake Keowee. There is a marked access on the shoreline of the lake.

Waterfall Trail
Actually that is Jocassee. Check out the map, A is where you can put your boat in, and B is a "landing" spot that jumps in on the foothills trail. Nice little camp area about 1/4 mile up towards the falls.

34.953792, -82.946995 to 35.032408, -82.896691 - Google Maps

Alternatively you can go north up the Toxaway on Jocassee and there is a part of the trail up in NC with some picnic tables and camping spots you can see from the lake.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Awesome. Thanks so much guys!! That's just what I needed. I appreciate the links.

mglass09, which would make a better picnic spot? How far from 'B' is the alternate picnic area? I see where the lake forks north 2 ways. I imagine we'd go where marked in red on map attached?

I appreciate the coordinates. I'll give them to my brother. He'll be doing the navigating.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,311,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglass09 View Post
Actually that is Jocassee.
Sorry - total brain fart on my part. I don't have a boat but that is a pretty area to hike back into. The view from that one point off of the gravel road back there is spectacular - photos from there look like aerial shots.

The bridges over the Toxaway and Horsepasture on the Foothills trail are pretty. Would have been awesome to make this trip a few weeks ago when the leaves were at peak color.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Sorry - total brain fart on my part. I don't have a boat but that is a pretty area to hike back into. The view from that one point off of the gravel road back there is spectacular - photos from there look like aerial shots.

The bridges over the Toxaway and Horsepasture on the Foothills trail are pretty. Would have been awesome to make this trip a few weeks ago when the leaves were at peak color.
Thanks. Can't wait to try these out.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM

Well we made it to Laurel Fork Falls and had a great time. The falls were gorgeous. We probably hiked 2 miles in and then hiked back out to the boat. There was plenty to see....swinging bridge, falls, creek, etc. We even saw some dune buggies. It was a nice hike. It was great weather also so that made it extra fun.

We tried boating to Toxaway but I think it was just too dry. We went all the way down as far into NC as we could and then beached the boat. A couple of us managed to get into the woods and found the trail along the land on the right. The trail wasn't kept up very well in that area so we decided it would be too hard for the other two people to get to and hike on even though I was ready and willing. lol

I saw the bridge online that was within a mile's reach but just couldn't make it there. We did enjoy the boat trip out that way though.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on these places.

Here's a few pics of Laurel Fork Falls.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 11-13-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,622,636 times
Thank you for the fantastic pictures - does anyone know the significance of the memorial "Sean Guandique" pictured above? A google search doesn't reveal much.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM

The memorial was right at the top of the falls. You had to climb down a steep embankment to even get there. My guess is that he fell and was killed. It was a very dangerous spot and would have been easy to fall off the top of the falls. You can see the top in the pic right under the memorial. If I had stepped on the rock and slid, I'd be toast.

I know if I had kids, no way would they have been allowed to get that close. There was also an overlook to the falls and even it was dangerous. One could easily fall if gotten too close to the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area