Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,566,316 times

Advertisements

Looking for someone good to take apart and clean the inside of my laptop and troubleshoot the DVD drive. Any suggestions? Geek Squad does not do this. I am in simpsonville but willing to drive to Greenville or Spartanburg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM

672 posts, read 1,420,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Looking for someone good to take apart and clean the inside of my laptop and troubleshoot the DVD drive. Any suggestions? Geek Squad does not do this. I am in simpsonville but willing to drive to Greenville or Spartanburg
I'm in Simpsonville and would be happy to do this for you. I'll send you a direct message.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,544,358 times
Computer Direct on Laurens Road in Greenville is an option.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,141,995 times
D and D in Simpsonville is where mine is going this morning.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM

9,544 posts, read 9,864,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Depending on how old your laptop is, you may not want to spend too much money on a technician. If you want a bridge until you decide to upgrade to a newer laptop in the future, you can purchase a external dvd drive for about $35 at amazon.com

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive (Black): Electronics

Just plug it in the usb connection.

To be honest, a lot of new computers are getting away from installing DVD (optical drives) anymore. Most software can be downloaded from the internet, videos and music streamed from a cloud. So depending on your usage, you may want to think about that in your next laptop purchase.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the insight and recommendations. The DVD is a minor issue which I can work around. Unfortunately some of the mapping software I use distributes mapping data on DVD as some of the data sets are too big (to them for now) for internet distribution. I am certainly not relying on optical drives for much.

The bigger issue is the cleaning and starting to run hot under load.

It looks like for less than $100 I can keep some more life going on the computer. All of the various system checks have it running fine. Right now I would have to pay at least $600 for an equivalent system. [not a lot of difference in some things in the past three years but I have a dedicated graphics card on this one for 3D mapping]

Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM

607 posts, read 1,404,877 times
N-Control is who I have used for my pc in the past. THey are on the corner of Butler and Tanner, across from Laurens Electric.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM

684 posts, read 1,189,293 times
Why not get a desktop? Much easier to trouble shoot and replace components :-D

Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM

672 posts, read 1,420,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
Why not get a desktop? Much easier to trouble shoot and replace components :-D
True, they may be easier to repair, but they're not not very portable for those who need to bring their computer along.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 PM

I am rethinking. Once I see how my current laptop is doing after a cleaning (right now it is still passing all the system tests but I am keeping it cool with external fans).......I may get some external drives and work with those for awhile until I decide. It may be that a desktop is the way I go. One desktop, one laptop - get a new laptop when this one finally fries.

But I still need a laptop to take into field for some GPS mapping. But not outside field, like working from inside a stationary car outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area