Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The upper Midwest is more educated, I do believe. They also tend to be bible war-shippers too.

Moh, troll much?
By percentage of residents with a high school diploma, the states of the upper Midwest and inter-mountain west are almost statistically tied with New England states at 91%. However, New England and Northeastern states dominate the list of states with the highest percentage of residents with advance degrees.
List of States by Education

The two most religious states in the upper Midwest are tied at the national average and well below the religious levels of Southern states and Utah. Of these two, South Dakota has the lowest percentage of graduate degrees in the region, and the religious population in North Dakota is mostly Lutherans and Catholics who aren't known for their Biblical literalism.

Importance of Religion by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie
"Bible-minded" and "Bible-believing" are not synonymous.
According to this "study,"- Yes I used ironic air quotes around the word study, because this is nothing but an unscientific measure of their subjective analysis of what Bible minded means - Bible Minded cities are those with, "the highest combined levels of regular Bible reading and belief in the Bible’s accuracy." I'm assuming they mean believe in Biblical accuracy to be synonymous with literal interpretation, which is pretty much an exclusive hallmark of evangelical and/or fundamental Protestant movements. So, no surprise that Southern/Appalachian towns dominate the list.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM

374 posts, read 833,952 times
Outstanding post...Thank you

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM

475 posts, read 900,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
True, but you don't need a bible to teach these things. A set of good parents with the right moral standards will do.
I am not trying to tell you that the bible is bad but if you raise your kids right, they don't need a book to know right from wrong.
Not trying to pick a fight ,but did you ever stop to think where those parental values originated?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Not trying to pick a fight ,but did you ever stop to think where those parental values originated?
Please pose your question here...... //www.city-data.com/forum/atheism-agnosticism/ .

Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
Please pose your question here...... //www.city-data.com/forum/atheism-agnosticism/ .
The question was rhetorical.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
The question was rhetorical.
Not a chance....you tried. Take it else where fella.

- reps

Old 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
Not a chance....you tried. Take it else where fella.

- reps
If in the future you decide to reach out to me for an attention seeking comment -you can reflect on the following comment enclosed in these parentheses . It will be my last to you ( ).

Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM

477 posts, read 840,792 times
Quote:
I could tell you that common sense about what is right and wrong would be a good start. Treat others how you want to be treated, killing is not nice, stealing is a big no no. I think that crossed people's minds before it was written down.

I guess it is a chicken and egg question.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
I could tell you that common sense about what is right and wrong would be a good start. Treat others how you want to be treated, killing is not nice, stealing is a big no no. I think that crossed people's minds before it was written down.

I guess it is a chicken and egg question.
I'd be willing to bet in the beginning killing and stealing were the norm for survivals sake. The teachings of the Bible ,at least in this country were the basis of much of our legal system as well as the basis of acceptable societal behavior.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 AM

477 posts, read 840,792 times
Quote:
The teachings of the Bible ,at least in this country were the basis of much of our legal system as well as the basis of acceptable societal behavior.

Well, one could argue that the bible didn't keep Christians from slaughtering and opressing people for centuries and since you mentioned this country, it also didn't keep god fearing people in the south from treating black people like animals (and worse).
So just reading a book won't make you who you are. It is how the people that have influence on you raise you. That can happen with or without the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area