Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 AM

285 posts, read 457,499 times

Advertisements

Opposing traffic does NOT stop when there are more than two lanes. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has to make multiple stops for no reason each morning (Pelham, Woodruff rds for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM

505 posts, read 940,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreddy View Post
Opposing traffic does NOT stop when there are more than two lanes. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has to make multiple stops for no reason each morning (Pelham, Woodruff rds for example).
I read about this a few months ago. Didn't SC only change the law in the last few years? Many people don't know that the law has changed, and there are people who have moved here from other states that had different school bus laws.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM

411 posts, read 853,640 times
Here's a very brief rundown:

Safe to Pass? Troopers break down SC bus laws - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

So yeah, four lanes or more, regardless of median, means you don't have to stop if you are coming in the opposite direction. People do this on Wade Hampton occasionally...I feel the compulsion to leap out of my car and smack them in the head. Wait...I feel that compulsion every morning, school bus or no. :-)

Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
I read about this a few months ago. Didn't SC only change the law in the last few years? Many people don't know that the law has changed, and there are people who have moved here from other states that had different school bus laws.
Yes, it's a new law. For at least 20 years prior, the law was that you have to stop unless there was dirt/grass in the median, or it was raised concrete. That's what the majority of drivers here were taught, and would explain the original poster's issues.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I wonder how new this actually is though. I remembered looking at the laws when I first moved here over 5 years ago and I am fairly certain the rules were already like this then

Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM

505 posts, read 940,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I wonder how new this actually is though. I remembered looking at the laws when I first moved here over 5 years ago and I am fairly certain the rules were already like this then
Let's revisit this in ten more years, and see how many times you (or I) have re-read the rules of the road.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
It hasn't been that long! It was changed a year or two back as I recall.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,361 times
I had no clue! I was taught to drive in another state that was you stop for a stopped school bus no matter what road you are on. This is really nice to know because this happened to me on WH the other day and was wonder why are all these people still going?!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,020,781 times
I say better safe than sorry. You sit and really think a minute what it would be like if you hit and killed a child. You hot head drivers sit and think about it a minute. That can't be corrected or undone and one would have to live with that the rest of their life. So what if one has to make a few extra stops in the morning. Like that article says "leave earlier"

Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Does this belong in the state forum? I know we're talking about Greenville roads but it is a state law. Others might benefit from the reminder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area