Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:25 PM

77 posts, read 254,275 times

Advertisements

I was wondering which schools (esp. high schools) have the largest Christian student population. We have had our oldest in a private Christian school since kindergarten and he is now a freshman. We are concerned about how he will adjust to a much, much larger school down there and being in public school for the first time. I know it may seem like a strange question, but I would really appreciate any info out there. It is hard to get a realistic sense from the school administration themselves, so I would love to get some real feedback from those familiar with the schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
I was wondering which schools (esp. high schools) have the largest Christian student population. We have had our oldest in a private Christian school since kindergarten and he is now a freshman. We are concerned about how he will adjust to a much, much larger school down there and being in public school for the first time. I know it may seem like a strange question, but I would really appreciate any info out there. It is hard to get a realistic sense from the school administration themselves, so I would love to get some real feedback from those familiar with the schools. Thanks!
Why would you only want him to be around Christians? Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-18-2007 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 PM

I knew I would get that type of response. Of course I don't won't him only around Christians, but having come from a small Christian school, I would like him to have a group of like minded friends, if possible, in a public school.
It is important to me that he be able to find people who share the same intrests he does. Whether that be sports, academics or religion. Assuming all public schools have sports and academics, I am left to find one that will best provide some degree of common ground in a religious sense among some of its student population.

I am sure there must be others out there that can give me some general info that would be helpful.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-18-2007 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 10-18-2007, 07:35 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
I have some generally helpful information for you. As you undoubtedly know, there are plenty of Christian families here in Greenville. There will be students interested in sports and academics as well, I am pretty sure. Your son will have no problem finding like-minded students. I understand your concern of his attending a much larger public school than what he is used to.

I haven't been to Sweden, but am pretty sure there are white people there.

If you knew your original post would be inflammatory to some, why did you post it?

I also don't know whether a public school can compile such information about its students, being public and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
I knew I would get that type of response. Of course I don't won't him only around Christians, but having come from a small Christian school, I would like him to have a group of like minded friends, if possible, in a public school.
It is important to me that he be able to find people who share the same intrests he does. Whether that be sports, academics or religion. Assuming all public schools have sports and academics, I am left to find one that will best provide some degree of common ground in a religious sense among some of its student population.
Why accuse me of being narrow minded? It is no different than a parent looking for a school that has a substantial student population interested in drama, art, etc... But, just because I mention Christianity some will automatically assume I am narrow minded.
I am sure there must be others out there that can give me some general info that would be helpful.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-19-2007 at 09:59 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
At Mauldin High School there is a FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) group that my daughter was a member of. A lot of people here are christians though there are those that do not believe but it is my opinion that the non-believers are outnumbered. If it is that important to you, do not waste any time getting involved in a church when you get here. There are plenty to choose from.

No question is stupid; only those interpreting the question make it stupid. Don't worry about them.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
honestly, I could care less either way but if you're even worried about it a little, why don't you just enroll him in another private school?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
At Mauldin High School there is a FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) group that my daughter was a member of.
How can a school be "public" if it has classes or activities that cater to any one religious group? I attended public schools with friends from all backgrounds, but my Catholic friend up the street attended Sacred Heart and my Jewish friend attended Maimonides because their parents wanted them to get a specific type of education. There's certainly nothing wrong with a caring parent wanting her children to get a good education, be safe and be taught to be kind to others. That's your right. However, Christian-specific values should be taught in a Christian home, church or after school program for Christians.

Charliegirl, that statement you wrote about like-minded friends is insulting and bigoted. I will say one thing, however. I can't speak for others, but the one thing a Jew is taught from early childhood is to be a mensch. A mensch is someone who is encouraged to be truthful, loving and to make his mission in life to leave the world a better place. Jews are taught to praise God every day and thank Him for the glorious gifts he has bestowed upon us. When people die, the Kaddish which is the prayer for the dead, praises God for giving life and thanks Him for taking it back to be with Him in Heaven.

If that isn't "like minded" enough for your children, then maybe you should check your own values.

(I meant to direct this comment to charliegirl and I began by quoting myrc60, so I am editing my comment.)

Last edited by justNancy; 10-19-2007 at 12:35 AM..

Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 AM

36 posts, read 135,531 times
Boy most of you all are determined to make this an issue and purposely misunderstandy what he/she is trying to say. Give he/she a break please. Just as you would want. Geeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM

335 posts, read 1,181,244 times
Have you thought about keeping him in a private school here if you are concerned. There are several, but I have heard great things about Southside Christian on Woodruff Road.

Southside Christian School, Simpsonville, South Carolina - Welcome to SCS :: Welcome to SCS

Hope this helps.

Liz

Old 10-19-2007, 09:27 AM

Thank you geoffandliz,
It is ridiculous the way some are determined to misconstrue what I was trying to say.
Justnancy: I am open minded, thank you. I have two at home I am currently homeschooling. In fact, we are studying Jewish history. This week, we are learning what Shabbat is, making Challah bread and learning about the Hebrew calander.
Last week we studied Mesopotamian culture, Egyptian culture, their gods, etc....
Please do not infer things that are not there in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area