Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM

10,118 posts, read 7,788,407 times

Advertisements

I have a strong feeling my neighbor has gone off and left his dog in the back fence.

No one seems to be staying at the house. It's completely dark and the dog barks a lot.

The guy that lives there seems to have gone for the past 3-4 days.

I don't see anyone coming over to feed the dog and I can hear it barking in the pouring rain, at nights and during the days.

There's just no activity over there at all which is usual. My first instinct was to check and see if neighbor was in jail. He has been arrested quite a few times in the past couple of years. I try to keep my distance. He's no friend of mine but I do worry if the dog has been left alone with no food or water. I wouldn't put it past him if he left his dog to fend for itself.

I don't want the dog to die if in fact it's been left alone.

I think if by tomorrow I still see no one over there, I need to call someone to check on it.

Should I call or just hope someone is feeding it?

If you think I should call who would I call? I want to do it anonymously. I don't want this guy to know it was me. No telling how he would retaliate.

ETA: After I wrote this post, I went downstairs and heard a car that sounded like it was out front. I looked out and it was a Sheriff's car parked in front of my neighbor's house. I looked out thinking maybe it was someone coming to feed the dog.

The Sheriff's car sat there for about 10 minutes. It was dark but I could see the light from the computer he was looking at in his car. He sat there in the car looking up stuff on the computer and then he left.

I should have gone out then to see if he would check on the dog, but I was afraid he wouldn't see me coming and then all of a sudden I knock on his window and he shoot me or something. lol Plus I had on my PJs and figured by the time I threw something on he'd be gone.

I'm thinking I will call tomorrow. We have a cop living in the neighborhood a couple of blocks from me. The ex-wife of this neighbor had gone to his house when her husband beat her up so this cop is familiar with my neighbor and probably would check on the dog for me. I might go ask him if I see him out in the yard.

Is this a situation where you would call animal control?

Last edited by diddlydudette; 07-12-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 PM

80 posts, read 227,193 times
If the poor thing has been left out for the last 3-4 days with no shelter water or food in this heat and all the storms, I would of got the dog after day one. That person doesn't deserve a dog.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 AM

49 posts, read 81,936 times
Please call!

If you're able to get to him, please give him some food and water if you don't see any. No one can fault you for trying to do the right thing, even if he is being taken care of! I'd rather be safe than sorry

Please let us know if he's okay!

Editing to add (since I didn't really answer your question!), I would call the cop in your neighborhood as a starting point. If he can't help, he can definitely tell you who to call. Otherwise I might call Greenville County Animal Care. They could also help direct you if they're not the right group.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,229,232 times
I know what my Wife would do...go get the dog, feed it, and post a note on the owners door.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,506,564 times
People like this disgust me. CALL!!! And let us know how it turns out.

From the Greenville County's Animal Control website:

Question:
What office should be called to report barking dogs, or other animal complaints?

Answer:
The Animal Control Officer takes all complaints regarding domestic animal disturbances such as barking dogs, dogs running at large, etc. within the County. The Officer will investigate the complaint and initiate action for resolution as required. Contact the Animal Control Office at (864) 467-7595.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 AM

477 posts, read 841,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
I know what my Wife would do...go get the dog, feed it, and post a note on the owners door.
That's what I would do, too. I'd also ask the owner if he wants me to keep the dog when he can't take care of it. I hate how people treat dogs. Some of our neighbors have 2-3 dogs and I have never seen them outside.

Please either get the dog yourself or call the sheriff immediately. Not later, not tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM

115 posts, read 264,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
That's what I would do, too. I'd also ask the owner if he wants me to keep the dog when he can't take care of it. I hate how people treat dogs. Some of our neighbors have 2-3 dogs and I have never seen them outside.

Please either get the dog yourself or call the sheriff immediately. Not later, not tomorrow.
Agree 100%! Go now and not later, the longer you wait the higher the chance the dog may die!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:44 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,392,503 times
I would contact Concerned Citizens for Animals and ask for advice. Animal Control (or Animal Care) may "rescue" the dog, but usually cannot guarantee immunity from extermination.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:07 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,475,052 times
Any cases like this that you want to try and punish the abuser needs to involve animal control. In fact I'm pretty sure if you should call any other rescue and they come out and find the claims true they have to contact animal control. It would be trespassing and theft to remove the animal otherwise. Unfortunately.

If you want to be a good Samaritan you can have a "finder will claim" note posted on the dog when they go to the shelter. But for legal cases the shelter/sheriffs dept is required to hold the dog for a certain amount of time/until the owner surrenders their rights. Best of luck and thank you so much for being a concerned citizen!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,735,314 times
If you're afraid to call, (I don't think they would give the guy your name but I don't know for certain), I would go give the dog some food and water over or through the fence. Even the creepiest of people would surely not be offended at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area