Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
I never noticed augusta being dirty or less clean than Greenville. Washington road is probalby a worse case of urban sprawl than any road in greenville.

I think for most people they will be pretty similar. a decent unique downtown area, a central retail area with a good mall, light traffic, warm weather, relatively low cost of living. augusta has more pine trees.
Not even close. Especially the downtown comment. Greenville is way ahead on the development and redevelopment front.You're entitled to your opinion. No need to debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 04:06 PM

245 posts, read 319,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Not even close. Especially the downtown comment. Greenville is way ahead on the development and redevelopment front.You're entitled to your opinion. No need to debate.
i noticed you say "you're entitled to your opinion" a lot on here. i think that is understood. or I wouldn't have one.

you guys look at odd things most people don't care about, most people would consider the downtown areas in both to be about the same thing, greenville has more corporate office spaces, which isn't exciting for most people.

i don't really care how many hotels are downtown and new condos are being built downtown, etc and that kind of thing. as far as the downtowns being decent social gatherin spot with some restaurants, augusta and greenville are the same thing.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
i noticed you say "you're entitled to your opinion" a lot on here. i think that is understood. or I wouldn't have one.

you guys look at odd things most people don't care about, most people would consider the downtown areas in both to be about the same thing, greenville has more corporate office spaces, which isn't exciting for most people.

i don't really care how many hotels are downtown and new condos are being built downtown, etc and that kind of thing. as far as the downtowns being decent social gatherin spot with some restaurants, augusta and greenville are the same thing.
Greenville's downtown has a lot more restaurants, shops, bars, etc. It has a much larger draw to it. It's won awards. We've put a lot of effort into it to revitalize it. It has become a destination that people want to go to. They aren't alike. Oh. I said opinion because that's what it is. It's a fact that there is more in Greenville's downtown though. Nothing against Augusta, like I said in another post; I was born in that area.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
That's your opinion. I know you think you know it all, but you don't. I'm very familiar with both areas. Greenville is ahead in more areas than one, not just retail. Redevelopment, urban renewal, growth, etc. It also feels a great deal cleaner. Just because neither area is your beloved Charlotte, doesn't make them the same. They are very different. You know we rarely agree anyways, there isn't much reason for us to debate. It's not worth it. Stick to comparing Charlotte to Atlanta.
This is mainly an opinion board, facts are often dismissed here if they don't paint a city in a certain light....often by you. But, I will stick to what I said, most people will not notice much of a difference in day to day living in either place. Downtown Greenville is nice but, It is a tiny downtown area that is closer to Augusta than it is to Charlotte. Living in Greenville and Augusta is a lot more similar than Greenville is to Charlotte, I know that after living in both areas. I have not seen Augusta's growth statistics but, Greenville has not led in SC growth for a long time so, I doubt there is a lot of difference, again more of a difference between areas like Charlotte and Greenville than Augusta and Greenville. Besides, it is not like you are "blessed" to live in Greenville, not sure why folks there think it is more like a Charlotte than an Augusta.

Back to the malls.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Greenville's downtown has a lot more restaurants, shops, bars, etc. It has a much larger draw to it. It's won awards. We've put a lot of effort into it to revitalize it. It has become a destination that people want to go to. They aren't alike. Oh. I said opinion because that's what it is. It's a fact that there is more in Greenville's downtown though. Nothing against Augusta, like I said in another post; I was born in that area.
who is "we"? sounds like you identify with the city or private developers who put the effort in. it is a little weird how people who don't have businesses in downtown always feel like they got to promote it.

i don't know if it is that much of a destination. i don't see people vacationing in downtown greenville.

how does winning awards mean anything if my point is they are similar downtowns, decent social gathering place with some restaurants with a unique natural feature? augusta downtown probably won some kind of award at some point. Anderson was an All American City a few years back.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
This is mainly an opinion board, facts are often dismissed here if they don't paint a city in a certain light....often by you. But, I will stick to what I said, most people will not notice much of a difference in day to day living in either place. Downtown Greenville is nice but, It is a tiny downtown area that is closer to Augusta than it is to Charlotte. Living in Greenville and Augusta is a lot more similar than Greenville is to Charlotte, I know that after living in both areas. I have not seen Augusta's growth statistics but, Greenville has not led in SC growth for a long time so, I doubt there is a lot of difference, again more of a difference between areas like Charlotte and Greenville than Augusta and Greenville. Besides, it is not like you are "blessed" to live in Greenville, not sure why folks there think it is more like a Charlotte than an Augusta.

Back to the malls.
greenville is leading the non-retiree growth in SC.

I don't see what makes Charlotte so much greater than Greenville. taller buildings downtown, the concert venue, and a NFL team that doesn't do much? "upscale" malls? does downtown Charlotte have many people going there at night? It seems more like an office park than a traditional downtown area to me.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post

Back to the malls.
I'm very blessed to live here. I love it! I have a hand in making it a nice place to live. I'm very active in this community.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:35 PM

I would have thought somebody with the screenname GSP would be living in Greenville-Spartanburg? Is he a turncoat who sold out his once beloved Greenville for the big city? LOL

it would be funny to see some of his old posts when he was still in greenville, assuming he was, i wouldn't doubt if he was making case downtown greenville was better than charlotte. LOL

Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
who is "we"? sounds like you identify with the city or private developers who put the effort in. it is a little weird how people who don't have businesses in downtown always feel like they got to promote it.

i don't know if it is that much of a destination. i don't see people vacationing in downtown greenville.

how does winning awards mean anything if my point is they are similar downtowns, decent social gathering place with some restaurants with a unique natural feature? augusta downtown probably won some kind of award at some point. Anderson was an All American City a few years back.
I'm a business owner in the area, and I deal with many other decision makers; so yes I have a hand in it. Passing judgement lately? I think I'll end here. Have a nice night.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM

I think greenville would be better if people there didn't always feel the need to overhype it so much. That is the cool thing about Columbia, there is no hype even though they have a nice downtown too. Outside of ColumbiaData on the columbia forum on here. LOL he's a cool guy though, just loves Columbia a little too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area