Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM

34 posts, read 61,385 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of places to eat that will be open on Thanksgiving? We're vegetarian, so we're not looking for a Thanksgiving Feast ... just a place to eat out while we're in G'ville overnight that day while traveling. In our area there are chain restaurants open, so that would be fine also. Don't need fancy, just some vegetarian option. Thanks to anybody who can help. I tried to use the Search This Forum, but it doesn't work on my Safari browser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,515 times
Ryan's will be open. Problem solved.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM

81 posts, read 144,145 times
Roost says on OpenTable that they'll be open from 11am - 5pm. They have a vegetarian menu on their website. You might also call and ask Chicora Alley and Swad if they'll be open. They have good vegetarian food, but I don't know if they'll be open.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 AM

Thanks, Hobo, for Ryan's choice. We try to avoid buffets but there would be plenty of options if it's our only option.

Annica, I will call the 2 places you suggested when they open today. Roost is a bit pricey for us for just a "regular" meal. We love Indian so Swad looks interesting. What a name!? LOL

Thanks again, folks!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,524 times
Based on what you've written, I suggest that you also check with Saffron Indian Cuisine on Miller Road (very good) and Handi Indian Cuisine on Main Street downtown (also good). I suspect that P.F. Chang's China Bistro on Woodruff Rd. will be open as well. It is a chain but a pretty good one, with many vegan and vegetarian dishes. I love their Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, Ma Po Tofu and Vegetable Dumplings. The Buddha's Feast is also good.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Thanks, lyricamphibian! You hit the jackpot!

P.F. Chang's looks good since I'd rather not go downtown Greenville with most of the stuff closed up. Of course, if it's a beautiful day, a stroll in the park is always a treat! Their Greenville Menu has a symbol for vegetarian options but they are very few, even some of what you mentioned don't show up other than Ma Po Tofu which both of us dislike (don't like silken [soft] tofu:-).
Menu - P.F. Chang's China Bistro

It seems they replaced the Vegetarian category that was on the Corporate Main Menu with a Fall Menu instead. Odd. But when you read through the description of the items there are other vegetarian options. It may be that they have some chicken broth or something in them? Who knows. I will call to determine what will actually be the fare for that day. The SALTED CARAMEL CAKE SWEET TREAT sure looks good: Rich caramel and butter cake topped with layers of salted caramel and creamy vanilla icing, finished with a drizzle of salted caramel. 2.95

For any others reading this, I called Chicora Alley and Swad and they will NOT be open on Thanksgiving.

Handi's said they would have regular hours on Thanksgiving day, but the guy didn't seem to be sure of what those hours were, so I wonder if he was sure of them being open? Here's a link to the menu:
Handi Indian Cuisine Menu

Saffron said they were going to be open also and were more definite about it. I guess a month out is too much for them to be thinking about it? LOL Here's a link to the menu:
WelCome to Saffron Indian Cuisine

Old 10-30-2013, 12:25 PM

723 posts, read 1,149,524 times
There to two things I've noticed about the P.F. Chang's web site.

One is that I think you get slightly different menus depending on whether you simply click on the menu button on the P.F. Chang's main site or navigate to the Greenville location first and then click on the menu button there. Anyway, Buddha's Delight is under Chang's Specialties (as is Coconut-Curry Vegetables, which I forgot about when I was writing my previous message). The Vegetable Dumplings and Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps are under Starters.

The other is that there are vegetarian items that are not marked as vegetarian. An examples is the Shanghai Waldorf Salad on the Fall Menu, which can be ordered either with or without chicken. And although it isn't mentioned on the menu, the Harvest Vegetable Quinoa "Fried Rice" can be ordered without the fried egg on top. I find that the P.F. Chang's kitchen is very accommodating. The Pumpkin Wontons and Caramel Apple Wontons also appear to be vegetarian, but you might want to check on that.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM

Yeah, those were some of the items I noticed that weren't designated as vegetarian with the icon, but we're gonna go with it. Maybe it's that caramel cake that grabbed my tummy :-) Thanks so much for mentioning it. As long as they are accommodating, all is well. The fact they have designation at all shows they have a bit of intelligence relating to vegetarian.

Swad still looks real appealing so we may go with that for another meal the night before or day after. Still not sure which day we're arriving.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM

411 posts, read 853,320 times
Cracker Barrel is open on Thanksgiving. They do have a salad section amidst their typical downhome southern fare.

Though if you don't mind Indian on Thanksgiving, I lurve Saffron.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Thanks for replying, oldhousejunkie! Love the name! Actually we love Indian and a couple of other folks mentioned a few places, one of which was Saffron and their menu looks great. They will be open on Thanksgiving, but I think we're going to try out PF Chang's. We liked the menu for Swad most as far as an Indian choice. Have you eaten there? What's your opinion? They had 4-star rating on AllMenus.com. We will have another meal there while we're in G'ville to try it out.

I know Cracker Barrel is open since it is in our area too, but we gave up on them years ago when they changed their veggie sides plate from dinner plate to sandwich-sized plate and and increased the price. The servings of the 3 are pretty small too (as you might imagine for a sandwich plate) and many choices still have "meat" in them since meat broth or bacon/ham gets cooked with them.

I thought their menu might have changed since you mentioned salads, but there's only one on their menu which comes with chicken. On the veggie sides plate, there are 2 salad options mentioned and seasonal fruit but that's not going to satisfy an empty stomach at lunch time, nor do I want to pay $10 bucks for a 130 calorie meal :-) And the cornbread they serve has bacon drippings in it and I've heard the biscuits have lard, but they might have changed that by now.

Gee whiz, aren't we fussy!? LOL

I love the ambiance of Cracker Barrel and wish they would provide some veggie options since it's a cozy place to meet with friends. But even breakfast is limited to oatmeal and a blueberry muffin since I'm not a biscuit lover and I don't eat eggs out since they come from tortured hens. The pancakes would be nice but they cook them on the grill with bacon, etc. :-(

We still stop now and then when traveling (the one in our area is 45 min. away) just to look around the shop. Really do wish they would have some vegetarian options, but I guess it just doesn't fit. It is nice to see they have actually considered more healthy items with their new Wholesome Fixins category on their menu. Although I'm looking at the size of those plates and wondering if they simply reduced the quantity of food for less calories. Really ... I'm normally a very positive person [grin].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area