Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 02:49 PM

32 posts, read 124,913 times

Advertisements

Really now. I have read all kinds of threads about Greenville and get confusing messages. How about this question? I am married, white, 59 years old, from Arizona. We lived in Montgomery, Al for 2 years and loved the lifestyle and availability of affordable historic homes, but did not like the lack of activity in downtown or the racism especially from younger black toward whites of all ages. We want a older (historic) home within walking distance to downtown Greenville, for under $215,000. How probable is this and is downtown Greenville as full of activity as I have heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM

11,712 posts, read 24,847,060 times
Skyliner, that's your cue.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:38 AM

548 posts, read 2,018,699 times
I'm sure others can answer your question with more depth, but I can tell you that downtown Greenville IS fairly happening. I've been there on Saturday nights, I've been there on Tuesday nights, and the restaurants are reasonably full, the coffee shops are full, and there's a decent number of people walking around (more so on Saturdays then Tuesdays). For a small-to-midsize city, it's a pretty happenin' town.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times
..and your being white will help you to "fit right in"

Old 09-08-2011, 08:07 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,567,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiAnna View Post
..and your being white will help you to "fit right in"
Nice first post... Resurrecting a 4 year old thread. Care to share any background on your supposition?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 AM

130 posts, read 266,960 times
It's a very conservative area. Downtown is happening place - it that's what you want. From what I have seen it is a younger crowd and somewhat noisy.
As for older homes, be careful. I live in one and they are expensive to maintain. Rule of thumb-it will take 3 times as long to get something done and cost 2 times as much as you figured. Ever notice that they almost never say how much something costs on This Old House?
Have it very, very carefully inspected before purchasing and hire the inspector yourself. Be there when the inspection is done so you can ask questions.
In today's market, be cautious re: prices. Check around and see how many houses for sale within 4-5 blocks. If possible, note how much traffic in AM and PM rush hours. How close are businesses, particularly convenience stores and restaurants. Will that create late night and early morning traffic?
Wlaking to downtown? May not want to live that close.
As for "being white" helping to "fit in," look at the elected officials in Congress, county council, city council and state legislature. Very white, very Republican, very conservative.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 AM

298 posts, read 688,660 times
Ummmm .... this thread is 4 years old.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,410,411 times
City Council is currently comprised of four Republicans and three Democrats (two are black, if that means anything to you). They get along very well and maintain a healthy annual budget.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,477,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
City Council is currently comprised of four Republicans and three Democrats (two are black, if that means anything to you). They get along very well and maintain a healthy annual budget.
I predict that the racial diversity of Greenville City Council no longer matters to the above posters, since it doesn't jive with their silly statement that they are all conservative white males.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area