Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:34 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times

Advertisements

Like others have said, so many transplants there now, you'll fit right in. Just like anywhere, gotta find youre "niche"... I was living in an area of Orlando I didn't like so much, now live in a very good little town outside the city and it's a totally different place. Good luck! GVL is a cool place, the only place I'd consider leaving Oviedo FL for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:45 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Good, honest post Beckycat. I agree with everything you said, except the Pennsylvania portion. I know nothing of Pennsylvania.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:13 PM

14 posts, read 22,386 times
Dear beckycat,
I REALLY appreciate your input. I am only 45 minutes away from Scranton, and that is where I got the name from LOL. Good catch. NEPA does get too cold I mean Im sure it's rare to get below zero degrees in Greenville. At least it warms up there, and no need to worry about 2 feet of snow from one blizzard! It is boring here, too. I have heard many who have gone and come back from FL say it's upmost humid lol. I probably wouldn't mind it. What worries me is the property tax situation - I tried looking up taxes by state; I thought FL would be just too expensive for some reason. That's what I've heard, anyway...
I had a classmate move down to Greenville recently, she said the same thing! Lol. I'd love for things to be close, instead of a 30 minute drive to the closest shopping store -_- I think having more transplants is what's helping make the diversity in these cities And just fyi to anyone, I'm not an Atheist or anything, just to clarify lol. I'm an open-minded Christian.

Dear Valien,
That's what I love about a city that's not as complex as New York City! It's not crazy, but holds a fair amount of jobs *thumbs up*. I am accepting of all religions, so that's not a problem lol. If I decide to make the move, I'll keep that in mind!

Old 01-12-2014, 10:23 PM

Thank you ComSense. I haven't heard many bad things about Greenville It seems to be a popular place to move to these days lol. And Pa is alright, I wouldn't mind staying here if it wasn't so boring and cold. I live out in the "boonies" as some people say LOL. I pretty much live in the woods.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:59 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaWoodlands View Post
Dear beckycat,
I REALLY appreciate your input. I am only 45 minutes away from Scranton, and that is where I got the name from LOL. Good catch. NEPA does get too cold I mean Im sure it's rare to get below zero degrees in Greenville. At least it warms up there, and no need to worry about 2 feet of snow from one blizzard! It is boring here, too. I have heard many who have gone and come back from FL say it's upmost humid lol. I probably wouldn't mind it. What worries me is the property tax situation - I tried looking up taxes by state; I thought FL would be just too expensive for some reason. That's what I've heard, anyway...
I had a classmate move down to Greenville recently, she said the same thing! Lol. I'd love for things to be close, instead of a 30 minute drive to the closest shopping store -_- I think having more transplants is what's helping make the diversity in these cities And just fyi to anyone, I'm not an Atheist or anything, just to clarify lol. I'm an open-minded Christian.

Dear Valien,
That's what I love about a city that's not as complex as New York City! It's not crazy, but holds a fair amount of jobs *thumbs up*. I am accepting of all religions, so that's not a problem lol. If I decide to make the move, I'll keep that in mind!
Um yeah, 45 minutes to Walmart in PA, I'll pass. I was in the boonies too, bored outta my mind! Trust me if you move here, you will think there is more than enough to do coming from PA. You need to come visit. Are you able to do that? If you have any questions on where to stay, I can recommend some places close to downtown and the mall. Have you watched any of the videos on youtube about Greenville? They paint a good picture. I agree having transplants helps it to be more welcoming. Nothing against people who grew up here either, it's just nice to know there are others from out of the area. What do you like to do for fun?

BTW, what town are you in PA?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Dear beckycat,
Not to worry! I may be far from an actual city, but there is a Walmart within 20 minutes from where I live lol. I work there... I live outside of a small borough called Milford, giver take about 10/15 mins. outside of the borough. Idk how I managed to have fun as a little kid LOL. But being in my early 20's, there's really not much to do. Well I'm trying to get my parents to want to visit for vacation, but my Mom said "What is there to do?" They like going sight-seeing, mini golf, amusement parks (Ik of a few a couple hours away), and shopping. Ik there is a zoo in Greenville. It'd be about 11 hours away from home. I have not watched any videos. Will look that up. I agree I would appreciate any info. you can give me on places to stay.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM

141 posts, read 240,856 times
There is a small, inexpensive zoo directly adjacent to downtown Greenville actually!

OP, I am not "from here" either. My husband grew up down here, but I grew up in the upper midwest. I know this awful cold and snow of which you speak Honestly, the better/milder climate down here is a HUGE reason why we made the move down this past summer.

I feel this is overall quite a friendly and welcoming place. I like what a PP said about it being "like anywhere, as friendly as you make it" which I believe is true, within reason. You can find friendly folks just about anywhere! It's interesting; coming from the the largely-scandinavian heritaged upper midwest, I find folks to be open & gregarious down here! (Which I love).

Also, if you are a liberal/open-minded Christian, you will probably find a happy place in a mainline church. We've been attending Mauldin Methodist and we love it! Super friendly. Lots going on.

And I agree, there is tons to do around here! TONS.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:23 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaWoodlands View Post
Dear beckycat,
Not to worry! I may be far from an actual city, but there is a Walmart within 20 minutes from where I live lol. I work there... I live outside of a small borough called Milford, giver take about 10/15 mins. outside of the borough. Idk how I managed to have fun as a little kid LOL. But being in my early 20's, there's really not much to do. Well I'm trying to get my parents to want to visit for vacation, but my Mom said "What is there to do?" They like going sight-seeing, mini golf, amusement parks (Ik of a few a couple hours away), and shopping. Ik there is a zoo in Greenville. It'd be about 11 hours away from home. I have not watched any videos. Will look that up. I agree I would appreciate any info. you can give me on places to stay.
OK, I know exactly where Milford is. I lived in Greentown, small world. Tell your mom, there is plenty to do, this is not Milford. LOL Plenty of sightseeing. There's the Blue Ridge Parkway. They call it mountains in PA where we lived. You've haven't seen mountains until you've seen the Carolina mountains. There is Falls Park in downtown Greenville which has beautiful falls and walking trails. There's shopping downtown and tons of it on Woodruff Rd. The outlets are not too far away. We have a zoo here as well.

Special Events

Here are some good videos:

Welcome to Greenville, SC - YouTube

Greenville Heritage Main Street Fridays (:30) - YouTube

City of Greenville Kicks Off 2012 Downtown Event Series - YouTube

2011 Greenville Heritage FCU Reedy River Concerts - YouTube

Downtown Greenville, SC - YouTube

Downtown Greenville, SC - Falls Park on the Reedy - YouTube

clubs in greenville sc - YouTube

Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,355 times
Very sorry for jumping on your thread.

Good morning,

I've always wanted to move to Greenville but for whatever reason never made it there. But Anyway I'm a single mother of a teenager and I am wondering if it would be a good fit for us as far as high school and career. I am currently working on my billing and coding certification. She is the 15 yes old and I am in my early 30's from the islands. Any suggestions on affordable and safe areas would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for easy access to public transportation and local shops. Also a community feel.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:33 AM

422 posts, read 542,869 times
Greenville is very friendly! Someone so kindly relieved my fiance of her purse the other day, after they relieved my car of its window! In broad daylight, on the east side of town. Read on these forums about property crimes but you always think it will never happen to you.

That being said,people are nice here, you rarely meet anyone with heavy southern accent around here. Almost everyone seems like they are from somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area