Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 PM

231 posts, read 576,878 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some input on termite bonds and if they're worth it. I currently have termite bait stations with Terminix and pay $250 per year (1200 square ft. home). They come once a year and supposedly check the bait stations, which I don't think they done anything to since installed in 2007. They don't retreat ever and their annual terminate inspections last about 10 minutes. They don't look anywhere inside the house, attic, etc., just inside the crawlspace.

I've heard various opinions on whether the termite baiting stations are better. I understand in the event of a termite infestation, it would be thousands of dollars to repair but I have a hard time shelling out $250 every year for a five minute look over, knowing there's incentive for them to NOT say they found any termite damage. Is there anything cheaper that's worthwhile - a DIY style or cheaper bond? Any recommendations of local companies? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dep8477 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to get some input on termite bonds and if they're worth it. I currently have termite bait stations with Terminix and pay $250 per year (1200 square ft. home). They come once a year and supposedly check the bait stations, which I don't think they done anything to since installed in 2007. They don't retreat ever and their annual terminate inspections last about 10 minutes. They don't look anywhere inside the house, attic, etc., just inside the crawlspace.

I've heard various opinions on whether the termite baiting stations are better. I understand in the event of a termite infestation, it would be thousands of dollars to repair but I have a hard time shelling out $250 every year for a five minute look over, knowing there's incentive for them to NOT say they found any termite damage. Is there anything cheaper that's worthwhile - a DIY style or cheaper bond? Any recommendations of local companies? Thanks for the help!
There are generally two types of termites that are problematic in this area; subterranean and drywood.

Subterranean termites live underground, and build mud tubes between the ground and the wood in your home like in the pictures in the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=subt...=isch&imgdii=_

Treatment for subs generally consists of bait, or pumping the foundation with a chemical to kill the termites.

Drywood termites live in the wood itself, and generally fly into your home from other homes, nearby trees, etc.

Treatment for drywoods generally consists of tenting with a gas. There are some spot treatments including microwaves and heat, but they are only really practical for small areas.

If you you have bait stations, then they were installed for subs (either preemptively or after an infection), and an annual inspection wouldn't consist of checking anything other than surfaces that touch the ground. Depending upon your crawl, it could be a 5 - 10 minute inspection since they are only looking for mud tubes between the ground and your joists.

Drywood termites are tougher to spot, and are usually found due to small pellets (pepper) around door and window frames (or in other places where the termites "punch through").

https://www.google.com/search?q=dryw...w=1920&bih=975

As for the bond ... it's an insurance policy, and most places will only issue them after treatment so you can't really get one from somewhere else. Only you can decide if it's worth the money (we carried the policy for drywoods on our house in FL after having it tented).

You can probably check the baits for signs of infestation though, and manage that part on your own.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,911,686 times
Termite bonds are relatively cheap imo and totally worth it. For most things I am a "self-insurer" (I carry the minimum amounts of most insurance for house, car, etc. since insurance is in itself a money-pit by nature), but termite bonding is definitely something I do for the house.

Just saw your price: we pay about 1/3 of your price per year for a home bigger than yours (2 story though, so our foundation and crawl space is probably similarly sized)

Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Termite bonds are relatively cheap imo and totally worth it. For most things I am a "self-insurer" (I carry the minimum amounts of most insurance for house, car, etc. since insurance is in itself a money-pit by nature), but termite bonding is definitely something I do for the house.

Just saw your price: we pay about 1/3 of your price per year for a home bigger than yours (2 story though, so our foundation and crawl space is probably similarly sized)
Can you at least list who you got your bond with so the rest of us can call to get a quote? Thanks.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,911,686 times
We use Dodson Pest Control. However, if you are in the middle of a bond with someone else, it may not be a good time to switch. I think the best time to switch is when your existing contract is up.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 AM

453 posts, read 647,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Yeah, I have a two story in Simpsonville, and my bond with Hired Killers is somewhere around $85 a year.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 PM

807 posts, read 1,785,261 times
Be sure to read your agreement. Some bonds pay for damage if they miss the termites & some do not. I have mine sprayed around the foundation once a year. I have a basement home & he checks inside the garage & in the basement. $100 per year.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
When I moved into my home in 2004, I never kept up with the bond for some reason. I don't even know who it is with.

Now I plan on selling the home. What do I need to do to get a bond and paperwork for selling?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:50 PM

807 posts, read 1,785,261 times
Do you have any of the paperwork from your closing. It may tell who the Company was towards the bottom of page 1 on the Settlement Statement or HUD 1 as it is sometimes called. If not call several reputable companies & get quotes. If you are selling, you can either have it checked for your piece of mind but the buyer will probably have their own inspection. It does not have to be under a bond to sell.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Thanks Pat, I will look at my paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area