Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times

Advertisements

To the people of the Greenville area: I apologize if the "putting on airs" comment hurt anyone's feelings. That was not my intent in posting my first impressions. As I've pointed out earlier in this thread, that was intended to be a metaphor ... and I've asked a couple of friends who are very good with the language to read that sentence and tell me what "putting on airs" referred to, and they both got it: it was a reference to the mix of old and new in the area. Unfortunately, at least one person either refused to accept my explanation (that i was speaking metaphorically), or is incapable of understanding it. I should have thought through my wording since subtlety is often lost in internet communications. I did mention Travelers Rest, and if my comment about it seeming rather shabby offended any of you, again, I apologize. It's a perfectly fine little town, I'm sure but it wasn't what I expected from the descriptions. It's just not my cup of tea.

This is not an apology to the person who demanded an apology, since he deserves none for consistently misrepresenting me during this thread, making assumptions about someone he's never met, and distorting what I said. He continues to do so, as well as insulting me in a vile manner. It's also not an apology for posting first opinions, which were meant to be helpful rather than divisive.

I'm through with the psychodrama in this thread, however. I won't play the game any more, and suggest everyone else do the same. Best approach to dealing with a troll is to not rise to the bait.

Last edited by Vasily; 01-25-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 03:01 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Vasliy, Please don't feel the need to apologize for anything you said. Everyone has different opinions and some people on here can't accept that. I hope you eventually find your happy spot whether its here or somewhere else and please continue to share your experiences. I've gotten PMs from people who are glad that someone is willing to speak up. I'm sure the same goes for you. Best Wishes.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:04 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
To the people of the Greenville area: I apologize if the "putting on airs" comment hurt anyone's feelings. That was not my intent in posting my first impressions. As I've pointed out earlier in this thread, that was intended to be a metaphor ... and I've asked a couple of friends who are very good with the language to read that sentence and tell me what "putting on airs" referred to, and they both got it: it was a reference to the mix of old and new in the area. Unfortunately, at least one person either refused to accept my explanation (that i was speaking metaphorically), or is incapable of understanding it. I should have thought through my wording since subtlety is often lost in internet communications. I did mention Travelers Rest, and if my comment about it seeming rather shabby offended any of you, again, I apologize. It's a perfectly fine little town, I'm sure but it wasn't what I expected from the descriptions. It's just not my cup of tea.

This is not an apology to the person who demanded an apology, since he deserves none for consistently misrepresenting me during this thread, making assumptions about someone he's never met, and distorting what I said. He continues to do so, as well as insulting me in a vile manner. It's also not an apology for posting first opinions, which were meant to be helpful rather than divisive.

I'm through with the psychodrama in this thread, however. I won't play the game any more, and suggest everyone else do the same. Best approach to dealing with a troll is to not rise to the bait.
Sorry your honest comments were bait for a troll. As a native of the area, I think a lot of what you said is dead on. Greenville has a nice downtown but the other areas where 99% of the people live is no different than any other place. You have strip centers dotting the major roads and a lot of small (very small) towns like Greer where folks confuse a new subdivision with world class growth. Crime in the area could be better, wealth is low, and job opportunities should be better. If you are retiring to the area, a lot of this will not matter. But, for the locals, the chamber and Greenville News try to convey the thought that Greenville is leading the state in all statistics which is not true. Some of the locals get hurt feelings when faced with reality or an "outsider" has an opinion of the area.

Politically, you are dead on, this is one of if not the most politically conservative areas in the country....political tolerance is very very low. For some, that is a good thing, for others, it is showcases the small town mentality that still permeates the area. Anyway, you have offended no one with your comments. I actually think folks like "oldhousejunkie" are more offensive by going out of their way with a completely irrelevant comment trashing other cities, sad that folks do that .

Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times
Thanks, saucystargazer and GSP101 for the kind words. I'm thinking I may visit again either in the spring or fall, and hopefully will be able to get around since I won't have a festering gall bladder any more and will post an update when I do.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
This thread is funny. LOL.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvillePride View Post
ComSense spends a lot of time posting about Greenville for it not being as nice as he expected.

Car repair shops and abandoned buildings. None of that in Florida?
Of course, those are everywhere.

Like the person said right after me, she said the same exact thing. Look at the post right after mine. I still like it a lot.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
I used to have a retail business in downtown Greer and I must say that downtown Greenville is light years ahead of Greer. If you want to experience the homeys "putting on airs" then visit downtown Greer and you'll see just how progressive downtown Greenville really is. If I had set up shop in downtown Greenville I would still be in business today I feel sure.

My advice: Don't come here expecting to do well in any type of retail situation, it won't happen especially in Greer. If you're not part of the "good 'ol boy" group you will get zero support from other shop owners and in fact will be underhandedly sabotaged and not even know it. Downtown Greenville is the only option for small retailers and there seems to be more support rather than ignorant and jealous mill village locals in Greer trying really hard to hide their heritage. Very bad under current down there.

I was also bombarded with panhandlers and weirdos looking for handouts, donations and tons of advertising people. It was like a revolving door of people looking for something for free or trying to bilk me out of money for one thing or another. Better to set up shop on the internet today rather than having to deal with locos like that. It's hit or miss with retail, location is absolutely everything. But even in Greenville be prepared to say "no" a whole bunch. I think in Greenville it's more of a guarded mentality rather than putting on airs. Retail is tough.

Last edited by Northsouth; 01-26-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 AM

90 posts, read 277,780 times
There are a fair share of panhandlers and homeless in and around the Main street area in Downtown Greenville. It's not as prevalent as in Asheville, but it is there. It doesn't both me because I didn't expect to not see it. The only time I got annoyed was when I was eating at a Sushi place (can't recall the name, maybe Sushi Murasaki?) and there was a homeless man I had seen many times before, standing outside the window, undoing his pants over and over and over again. I moved seats because it was in all honesty, creepy- like he knew I saw him doing it, so he continued. I ate there again a few months later and- the same guy, doing the same thing. When I'm on the street, I pay no mind, make no eye contact and keep on moving. But I grew up two hours west of NYC and went there often as a child, so I was taught to walk quickly, stand tall, be aware of your surroundings, and never pause for a second for a panhandler or someone trying to sell you something or shove a flier in your face.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM

453 posts, read 647,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
There are a fair share of panhandlers and homeless in and around the Main street area in Downtown Greenville.
Yeah, I get hit up for money probably every one out of three times I'm on Main St. My experience has been a little different than some. Never the same person twice, but it always seems to happen in the same general area: between, say, Washington and the Westin-Poinsett. They're usually very polite, are almost never offputting to be around, and have never been aggressive about it. It's the sort of thing I'd just as soon not have to deal with, but it doesn't rattle me the way it has in other places I've lived or visited. (For what it's worth, I'm a Charleston-native who's lived in/around Greenville for a little over 13 years now, and this is far and away my favorite place that I've ever lived. Doesn't bother me if other people have a different experience, though. )

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 01-26-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Bums are everywhere. Nothing you can really do unless they get kicked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area