Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:38 AM

144 posts, read 140,447 times

Advertisements

Hi,
planning on moving to Greenville and would like to know a bit about the living costs, found a lot about food ect., but not that much about water/gas/electricity, phone/internet/cable, car insurance, home insurance, car leasing.
Will probably rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment 750-1000 sqt and want to lease a small car. What’s usually incl. in apartment rents and what’s on top?

Thanks already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,883,068 times
I can tell you about car insurance-it's very high. My husband has been with Amica since he started driving over 50 years ago; we found out that our rates would increase by $2000 for our three cars! We switiched to USAA (thank you, Dad, for your service).

Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,308,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I can tell you about car insurance-it's very high. My husband has been with Amica since he started driving over 50 years ago; we found out that our rates would increase by $2000 for our three cars! We switiched to USAA (thank you, Dad, for your service).
Rates will vary quite a bit based on where you live in the area. We moved from a rural area near Raleigh to a suburban area near Greenville and our car insurance dropped ~20%.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 AM

21 posts, read 41,930 times
Car insurance isn't that high, shop around. If a company is raising your rates substantially and you haven't had any accidents you're being ripped off. Shop around and I'll bet your original company will lower your rates. I think insurance companies start to push the limit with long time customers until they complain. Consider phone internet and electricity to run probably in the neighborhood of $200-$300 a month. Phone and internet will depend on what plan you get. Charter is usually available and sometimes AT&T uverse is available. Charter right now has a $90 basic plan for phone/internet/tv (not including some taxes). They have a basic tv internet for $90 also so it seems better to get all 3. It's one year pricing and they are quick to raise the price. Uverse might be slightly higher but it's for 2 years. Call a few dealerships about leasing costs.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 AM

102 posts, read 151,032 times
Car insurance rates depend on many factors (zip code, insurance, marital status, credit score, car make and model, age, miles driven, other policies, claim history, traffic violations, I could go on.) Mine dropped when I moved here, so just get some quotes. I also don't have any accidents and 100/300/100 liability - and 250/500 comp/coll.

To answer the actual question, I rented a one bedroom in a newer "upscale" complex. I paid 824 for base rent, and 45 for water/sewer/trash. I had a promotional deal for internet that was 29.99/month for 12 months. It would have went up to around 40 after that. My electric was around 25/month in the spring and fall, 100 in the winter, and 75 in the summer. I keep my place 70+ in case you're wondering. My renters insurance was about 12/month but I also had my car insurance with the same company. I pay about 90/month for a new car (full coverage). You pay property tax annually on your vehicle which depends on the age. I believe mine was around 450 this year.

Have you ever rented? All complexes build their quotes differently - some include costs that others don't. You need to just call around. And leasing a car depends on your credit history. Do some homework for these answers.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM

I am not from the US, so I don't have a credit history, nor a clue how everything in terms of living works here.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:13 PM

102 posts, read 151,032 times
Unfortunately, your rates for car insurance will be really high. I used to work in the insurance industry and the rates for new US drivers were about triple normal rates. This is due to the lack of experience driving in the US and credit scoring. If you lease a car you will need full coverage so getting state minimum limits isn't an option. There may be some companies with ok rates though, you never know.

Without a credit history, you need stable employment and cash. When I was unemployed years ago, no place would rent to me on a normal month to month lease even though I had good credit. I ended up paying 6 months up front to show I was financially secure. Apartments are going to require a deposit as well.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM

I thought so, but my boss always says living costs in Greenville are much lower than in Europe.
But at the moment I pay:
USD 10.- mobile flat rate
USD 13.- internet 3GB
USD 35.- TV
USD 1,075.- 2 bedroom apartment all in no extra costs
USD 300.- food
USD 40.- life insurance
USD 40.- public transportation

Living in a big city so did not have a car on my own.

So wondering what he offered me will be enough, if I have to pay double or triple for insurances ect. Could pay in advance, but would only if getting a good price.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,480,699 times
I think your total expenses on that list will be roughly equal. You won't pay that much rent, maybe 600-800 depending on what you want/where and you'll have no public transportation costs unless you are brave enou to use the bus that doesn't go to too many places. Life insurance is dependent on your age but my healthy late 20s DH has a larger plan then most and he only pays 40/m. Food will be dependent on your living choices but might be a bit less here. Internet and cell phone will be more. If you add in a car at about 250/m lease and 100ish insurance you'd only be up by a bit more.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 PM

141 posts, read 241,559 times
We moved from small city Minnesota to Mauldin last summer. All things equal, just changing zip codes: our car insurance went up substantially. So frustrating.

But, hell, I get it: I see fender-benders and other minor-to-serious accident scenes ALL THE TIME around here. So it makes sense. But wow does it make me just want to stay home and OFF these crazy roads, if only I could!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area