Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:53 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post
We moved from small city Minnesota to Mauldin last summer. All things equal, just changing zip codes: our car insurance went up substantially. So frustrating.
Opposite experience here .. Left FL (same company, policy, etc, just changed parked address) and cut our rate in half.

I think so much of the insurance thing is going to be based on where you are now, and how high the rates are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 PM

144 posts, read 140,114 times
Could you give me some ideas? In general what you pay each month.

Reg. rent already checked and prices are USD 800 and more plus add. costs if I want a furnished apartment.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:33 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post
I thought so, but my boss always says living costs in Greenville are much lower than in Europe.
But at the moment I pay:
USD 10.- mobile flat rate
USD 13.- internet 3GB
USD 35.- TV
USD 1,075.- 2 bedroom apartment all in no extra costs
USD 300.- food
USD 40.- life insurance
USD 40.- public transportation

Living in a big city so did not have a car on my own.

So wondering what he offered me will be enough, if I have to pay double or triple for insurances ect. Could pay in advance, but would only if getting a good price.
Well your boss straight up lied to you. Expect mobile rates to be 60$+, internet 30+, tv 30+, 2 bedroom about the same but depends on location, food perhaps the same, life IDK, and public transportation youre gonna be hard pressed to rely on in Greenville at this point as Greenville is experiencing roughly the 1950s Atlanta effect. Renting a car, insurance, taxes, gas, and maintenance are gonna eat up a big chunk. Moving here wont be worth it unless youre gonna be making an extra 1000 a month or more.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 PM

698 posts, read 960,612 times
Quote:
I thought so, but my boss always says living costs in Greenville are much lower than in Europe.
But at the moment I pay:
USD 13.- internet 3GB
USD 35.- TV
Mobile service in Europe is super cheap. US costs are ridiculous AND you pay for incoming and outgoing calls. Cheapest phone plan, no contract, if you really shop around $20 - $35, more like $35 -$45 - no contract plan

Internet and cable here will also be much more than you pay now in Europe. Depending on your watching habits, you might do just fine with streaming on the internet, forget the cable to save money.

Food might be a bit more in US.

Heat, lights and water is not usually included in your rent. Just be sure to ask "what's included"

Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post
We moved from small city Minnesota to Mauldin last summer. All things equal, just changing zip codes: our car insurance went up substantially. So frustrating.

But, hell, I get it: I see fender-benders and other minor-to-serious accident scenes ALL THE TIME around here. So it makes sense. But wow does it make me just want to stay home and OFF these crazy roads, if only I could!
When we moved from Chicago we paid about double what we pay in Mauldin. So it depends on where you are coming from. I think transportation is going to be the hardest thing for OP to setup. Without a credit history he may not be able to lease a vehicle and he may need to buy a car with cash.

Now the subject of furnishings comes up. That could (depending on what you want) put you back some serious money every month.

I don't think I would do it OP. The reason your boss says it costs less here is because many jobs pay less than other parts of the USA. What happens with the job you now have if you don't take this transfer?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 AM

Well I requested this transfer and I was already glad that our US office approved, my US boss said average income per household is something like USD 27,000.- and I already receive more.
When I cal.
USD 1,000.- for living incl. gas, electricity ect.
USD 450.- car leasing, gas, insurance
USD 300.- food
USD 150.- TV, internet, mobile
USD 200.- other insurances (btw do I need home insurance?)
Save money for traveling and retirement. How much should I at least earn?
I was not planning on taking buses, just wanted to show that I have no experience in car lease or insurance costs. Don’t want to buy a car or furniture, as I don’t know how long I will be able to stay, but I have saved money so I could pay in advance.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 AM

411 posts, read 853,742 times
Quote:
But at the moment I pay:
USD 13.- internet 3GB
USD 35.- TV
USD 1,075.- 2 bedroom apartment all in no extra costs
USD 300.- food
USD 40.- life insurance
USD 40.- public transportation

Living in a big city so did not have a car on my own.

So wondering what he offered me will be enough, if I have to pay double or triple for insurances ect. Could pay in advance, but would only if getting a good price.
Well your utilities are going to be a bit higher and your rent will most likely be a bit lower. A cell phone/mobile plan with all the bells and whistles (unlimited calling, texts, and mobile data) is going to cost you roughly $100/month if you go with someone like T-Mobile or Sprint. If you have a "smartphone", US carriers will require a data plan of some sort, even if you don't intend to use it. A simple mobile phone is hard to come by but can still be found and you will pay much less.

Internet is substantially higher here as well. You'll be looking at $20 to $30/month as an introductory rate and then roughly $50/month once the intro rate expires.

Depending on your needs, your cable/satellite service will cost you anywhere from $35 to around $100 if you want all the premium channels.

A 2 bedroom apartment that is not in Downtown Greenville will cost roughly $800-$900 and won't include any utilities typically. Sometimes if you're lucky, they may throw in the cost of water or internet, but generally not. Electric/gas/water through Duke Power and the local water utility will cost you between $100 and $150/month.

Your food budget is correct. My husband and I live off that type of budget and it does get lean at the end of the pay period before we get paid again.

Life insurance...do you mean medical insurance? Most full time jobs offer a basic life insurance policy for little to no cost to the employee. If you got a policy on your own, and you're a non-smoker, in your 20s to 30s with no medical problems, you're looking at under $20/month most likely. Now as you may or may not know, Obamacare mandates that everyone have medical insurance now. I'm not sure how applicable the new laws are to expats. Your employer may provide this for you since you relocating at their request. But you'll want to have at least a "catastrophic" plan in the event that you are seriously injured. You'll most likely end up paying out of pocket for simple doctor's visits for minor illnesses with a plan of that nature. But the cost should be relatively low.

Public transportation around here is definitely not like it is in Europe, which is too bad. We are definitely a vehicle society. Your best bet would be to channel the cost of public transportation into a lease payment on a car. Your car insurance will be roughly $50/month. My husband and I have both our cars with the state minimum coverage for $95/month through Geico. However, leasing a car may require you to have higher coverage, so I would budget around $200/month for a car lease, $100/month for insurance, and $150/month for gas. Gas isn't as expensive here as it is in Europe, but you drive more, so the cost is relative.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
The average US HOUSEHOLD income is ~$51,000

The median US wage is ~$26,000

The difference there is the average household has more than one person working, pooling money together.

How much do you need to live comfortably in this area? A lot of that will depend on what you mean by "comfortably".

Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Well your utilities are going to be a bit higher and your rent will most likely be a bit lower. A cell phone/mobile plan with all the bells and whistles (unlimited calling, texts, and mobile data) is going to cost you roughly $100/month if you go with someone like T-Mobile or Sprint. If you have a "smartphone", US carriers will require a data plan of some sort, even if you don't intend to use it. A simple mobile phone is hard to come by but can still be found and you will pay much less.

Internet is substantially higher here as well. You'll be looking at $20 to $30/month as an introductory rate and then roughly $50/month once the intro rate expires.

Depending on your needs, your cable/satellite service will cost you anywhere from $35 to around $100 if you want all the premium channels.

A 2 bedroom apartment that is not in Downtown Greenville will cost roughly $800-$900 and won't include any utilities typically. Sometimes if you're lucky, they may throw in the cost of water or internet, but generally not. Electric/gas/water through Duke Power and the local water utility will cost you between $100 and $150/month.

Your food budget is correct. My husband and I live off that type of budget and it does get lean at the end of the pay period before we get paid again.

Life insurance...do you mean medical insurance? Most full time jobs offer a basic life insurance policy for little to no cost to the employee. If you got a policy on your own, and you're a non-smoker, in your 20s to 30s with no medical problems, you're looking at under $20/month most likely. Now as you may or may not know, Obamacare mandates that everyone have medical insurance now. I'm not sure how applicable the new laws are to expats. Your employer may provide this for you since you relocating at their request. But you'll want to have at least a "catastrophic" plan in the event that you are seriously injured. You'll most likely end up paying out of pocket for simple doctor's visits for minor illnesses with a plan of that nature. But the cost should be relatively low.

Public transportation around here is definitely not like it is in Europe, which is too bad. We are definitely a vehicle society. Your best bet would be to channel the cost of public transportation into a lease payment on a car. Your car insurance will be roughly $50/month. My husband and I have both our cars with the state minimum coverage for $95/month through Geico. However, leasing a car may require you to have higher coverage, so I would budget around $200/month for a car lease, $100/month for insurance, and $150/month for gas. Gas isn't as expensive here as it is in Europe, but you drive more, so the cost is relative.

Best of luck with your move.
No, I mean life assurance, medical insurance is partly incl., he also mentioned something about saving 1% for retirement, but as I am not sure how long I am able to stay it makes not much sense, plus expenses are already much higher than he said they would be.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM

698 posts, read 960,612 times
Quote:
Well I requested this transfer and I was already glad that our US office approved, my US boss said average income per household is something like USD 27,000.- and I already receive more.
Not sure where your boss is getting that figure

$27,000 for a single person to live on in the US isn't a whole lot of money, especially if you are paying $1000 a month for rent. If you are really frugal and don't have CC debt it could be possible

Your income will need to make 3-4 times what the rent is, depends on the landlord/complex

Yes you will need renters insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area