Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:46 PM

9 posts, read 13,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post

The one thing I really miss about NEPA is good Italian good and pizza. Old Forge style. I am Italian and it drives me a little nuts that the only way I can get that pizza is to order it online from Arcaro & Genells!
Haha, I do love my pizza, but I'd gladly give it up if it means leaving the cold misery of NEPA.

Thank you for all of the great information, especially in terms of rentals. I figured it would be a bit of a challenge with a dog, but I'm glad to know that it CAN be done. Thanks for the heads up about the agencies, too--we'll definitely keep that in mind when we start reaching out.

Glad to know that no one really thinks of the "Yankee" thing as an issue. The only reason why it concerned me in the first place was because of some other forum posts I had read, so I guess it was silly of me to take that to heart.

Again, thanks so much for the detailed info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:03 AM

90 posts, read 277,604 times
You're welcome, glad I could help a little! My Grandmother was born in Honesdale! I lived with my Grandparents on and off, and we spent a lot of time there. I remember shopping at Katz' with her, and then going to have the best burgers and vanilla cokes at a little diner a few corners down, the name of which evades me.

You'll love the weather here in comparison! It is well worth the few things that you'll miss back North.

I spent many months doing research on Trulia and following lots of houses for rent- Trulia will give you recommendations and alerts based on your search parameters. None of the rental agencies will rent more than 60 days ahead of time, but if you see that a house has been on there for a long time, it definitely increases your chances of getting your dogs in without issue. It seems like the rental market is a little slow/sparse there, so landlords will often be willing to make compromises.

Good luck with it!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
You're welcome, glad I could help a little! My Grandmother was born in Honesdale! I lived with my Grandparents on and off, and we spent a lot of time there. I remember shopping at Katz' with her, and then going to have the best burgers and vanilla cokes at a little diner a few corners down, the name of which evades me.

You'll love the weather here in comparison! It is well worth the few things that you'll miss back North.

I spent many months doing research on Trulia and following lots of houses for rent- Trulia will give you recommendations and alerts based on your search parameters. None of the rental agencies will rent more than 60 days ahead of time, but if you see that a house has been on there for a long time, it definitely increases your chances of getting your dogs in without issue. It seems like the rental market is a little slow/sparse there, so landlords will often be willing to make compromises.

Good luck with it!
My son was born in Honesdale. Small world Maybe, the Town House Diner? I agree with the you that moving here is worth the few things you'll miss in Scranton. I'm not an Old Forge pizza person but rather a NY pizza person. If you like NY pizza, try Pizza City. It's pretty close.

As for rentals, check Craigslist. We found ours on there and the landlord was awesome. She didn't have a problem with the dogs one bit. There was no pet fee either. We paid $750 for a 2 bedroom cottage conveniently located. Trulia and Zillow are good places to look as well. Private owners are going to be less strict or understanding when it comes to dogs.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Hey Meg, just a heads up, we're all transfers here. Using a silly outdated term like "Yankee" is silly and cliche'.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
There are still plenty of people that don't like anyone from my up north. There are a lot of transplants here now, though. I've got family in Simpsonville that has been there for generations and they are definitely in the minority.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
There are still plenty of people that don't like anyone from my up north. There are a lot of transplants here now, though. I've got family in Simpsonville that has been there for generations and they are definitely in the minority.
"your" up north?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Hey Meg, just a heads up, we're all transfers here. Using a silly outdated term like "Yankee" is silly and cliche'.
Sorry, I was just using the terminology that everyone else seems to use on this forum. Didn't realize it was no longer used, but I'm relieved that it isn't.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Very surprised to see people familiar with Honesdale. I spent most of my life explaining to people that I was from a tiny town near Scranton, and more recently having that met with, "Like 'The Office?'"

Thanks to everyone again for your answers and advice. I've been on Trulia and Zillow a bit, but I haven't gotten over to CraigsList. Sometimes I forget that they do housing listings, too.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megmcd220 View Post
Sorry, I was just using the terminology that everyone else seems to use on this forum. Didn't realize it was no longer used, but I'm relieved that it isn't.
It's all good. There's so many transplants to the Carolina's that those terms are outdated at this point. The Northeast is hemorrhaging people due to their liberal extremist policies and high taxes. Your welcomed here with open arms.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
"your" up north?
The "my" should not have been in that sentence. I spent 4 years in New Jersey from 4th-7th grade and that was about 3.9 years too much for me. The only thing I miss from up there is the Italian food.

It is too cold in the winter, snows too much, South Jersey where we lived was ugly and flat, and the taxes up there are insane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area