Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM

102 posts, read 150,658 times

Advertisements

Another thing you should know. They are letting schools out early today because there is a chance that we will get 1 inch of snow. That is not a typo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfj View Post
Another thing you should know. They are letting schools out early today because there is a chance that we will get 1 inch of snow. That is not a typo.
Yes, but this is very unusual When it snows up north, an inch is nothing. We are used to feet of snow. It's funny how they freak out here when there is a possibility of snow. Bring it on!

The news said it's been 3 years since it has snowed.

Last edited by beckycat; 01-28-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Yes, but this is very unusual When it snows up north, an inch is nothing. We are used to feet of snow. It's funny how they freak out here when there is a possibility of snow. Bring it on!

The news said it's been 3 years since it has snowed.
I'm all for giving kids an early day too, especially if people aren't used to it and worry about driving. Just mentioned it because it would be a shock to someone from up North.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 13,839 times
Most of the time when someone tells me they're from the South, I ask them why they wanted to leave because I can't imagine why someone would leave the South to come up here. I wish northerners were more accepting, and that's a lot of the reason why I want to leave in the first place. The people here are often as cold as the weather, at least generally speaking. The more urban the area, the more true this becomes. As far as I'm concerned, people are people unless they do something to harm you.

As for the snow thing, that's just music to my ears. Hasn't snowed in three years? That's nothing short of beautiful. And yes, our roads here are treated to the point that they turn white; my car, which is midnight blue, is also practically while with the residue from the salt. I'm already counting down the days until I can leave.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
This is so true, but never gets stated here. When I moved to New England a few years ago, and people found out that I'm originally from the south, they asked me stupid questions like "Is it a big culture shock to you here?" and "I bet things move a lot faster here." I always pleasantly smiled, answered "No, not at all" to both questions, and simply stated that things aren't much different from what I'm used to. It was funny to me, because my southern accent rarely comes out and I never use southern-isms like y'all. The questions only happened after my background came up in conversation.

I wonder how often potential transplants to the north go to the city-data forums for northern states ask stuff like "Will I be treated poorly because I'm from the south?" and "Do I have to worry because my kids aren't northern?" The stereotype that northerners won't like southerners doesn't seem to exist, even though I find that northerners are just as preoccupied by outsiders (if not more so) than southerners are.
I know when we moved to NJ when I was a kid, it was a big culture shock (that was a long time ago). Despite my mother insisting that I had always done well in school, they placed me in the lowest academic class for my grade. That lasted about a week until the teacher requested I be moved to the most advanced class in my grade. That lasted a couple of months and then that teacher requested I be put into the gifted program. The school had initially assumed that because I was from the south I must be behind academically. It turned out that I was ahead of even the gifted class in all subjects except math and even in math I was at most a few months behind the gifted class.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfj View Post
I'm all for giving kids an early day too, especially if people aren't used to it and worry about driving. Just mentioned it because it would be a shock to someone from up North.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM

90 posts, read 277,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmcd220 View Post
Most of the time when someone tells me they're from the South, I ask them why they wanted to leave because I can't imagine why someone would leave the South to come up here. I wish northerners were more accepting, and that's a lot of the reason why I want to leave in the first place. The people here are often as cold as the weather, at least generally speaking. The more urban the area, the more true this becomes. As far as I'm concerned, people are people unless they do something to harm you.

As for the snow thing, that's just music to my ears. Hasn't snowed in three years? That's nothing short of beautiful. And yes, our roads here are treated to the point that they turn white; my car, which is midnight blue, is also practically while with the residue from the salt. I'm already counting down the days until I can leave.

Meg, it was the Maple City diner, I think. Does that ring a bell? Ah, memories. Best vanilla cokes ever.

It did snow here last year- several inches, I remember because my Son built a snowman, and it was the first time our puppy had seen snow. From what my neighbors have told me, it snows about once a year, just a bit. Nothing like what I'm used to!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
When it snows up north, an inch is nothing. We are used to feet of snow. It's funny how they freak out here when there is a possibility of snow. Bring it on!
And now the road surface conversion to ice is well underway. Even those who have been driving the winter roads up north have a hard time here on untreated icy streets.

A foot of wet unplowed snow here is also more challenging than a foot of dry powder up north, especially on the hills.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Ice is ice. It doesn't matter what you're driving or where you're from, you have no traction.

I saw 2 accidents on my way home. People just need to understand you can't slam on your brakes. If you're not sure, downshift.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 PM

6 posts, read 7,601 times
Question Moving to Greenville too

Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
PS--
I have not had any issues around here with being a "Yankee". There are and always will be people from the North and the South who maintain those old boundaries. I find that being pleasant and friendly, with a smile is pretty universal. I've actually run into more issues because I am a single Mother and I don't go to church-- than I ever have for being from the North.
I'm also moving down near the Greenville area this spring/summer (if all goes well), so this post is really helping me alot too as I am looking for much the same as the OP. However, I am a single mother too, and I certainly dont think I need a building to find my faith. Being Native American I really see things more spiritually... Am I going to have issues down there following my own culture and not being traditional Christian/Catholic????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area