Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times

Advertisements

OP must be confusing SC and GA. GA has a state law banning Sunday alcohol sales. In SC it is up to local governments.

I think all blue laws are pretty archaic but they exist in many states, including ones not in the SE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM

118 posts, read 185,310 times
We first stopped at two places...one was off the Clemson University Exit right over the border and then we stopped again in Spartanburg.

I agree - this is an excellent tax opportunity for the state.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:16 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaddaline View Post
We first stopped at two places...one was off the Clemson University Exit right over the border and then we stopped again in Spartanburg.

I agree - this is an excellent tax opportunity for the state.
Why did you not stop in Greenville and eat at the Olive Garden on Laurens Road that is literally right off the interstate?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:24 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
OP must be confusing SC and GA. GA has a state law banning Sunday alcohol sales. In SC it is up to local governments.

I think all blue laws are pretty archaic but they exist in many states, including ones not in the SE.
Um Mmm I can go into an open liq our store in Georgia that's got less hours but still open longer than south Carolina's on a regular day. I think u have the two confused. It's local option in both states if a restaurant can pour on a Sunday though.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with that invasive sc government anymore

Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM

723 posts, read 1,148,882 times
I used to live in New England. Massachusetts, like South Carolina, is a local-option state. For instance, the Town of Needham (where my brother used to be a policeman) had NO liquor stores whatsoever until just last year. According to the Alcohol Beverage Control Commission in Massachusetts, there are eight communities within the Commonwealth that still ban sales of alcohol of any kind, period.

In the United States, there are 33 states that have laws that allow localities to prohibit the sale (and, in some cases, consumption and possession) of liquor. However, a number of those states have no dry communities. Three states (Kansas, Mississippi and Tennessee) are entirely dry by default, though individual counties may specifically authorize the sale of alcohol within their boundaries.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Um Mmm I can go into an open liq our store in Georgia that's got less hours but still open longer than south Carolina's on a regular day. I think u have the two confused. It's local option in both states if a restaurant can pour on a Sunday though.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with that invasive sc government anymore
I had to look this up - they changed the law since we last lived in Georgia. They used to ban all alcohol sales on Sunday but now it is a local option. I don't like blue laws either but GA isn't very far ahead of SC on this issue.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:

That's not a state law. Here in Augusta you can buy alcohol on Sundays.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
I had to look this up - they changed the law since we last lived in Georgia. They used to ban all alcohol sales on Sunday but now it is a local option. I don't like blue laws either but GA isn't very far ahead of SC on this issue.
lol I see you corrected yourself. There are still some cities in the state that have these laws.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:21 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
My last post was deleted, I believe due to the person I was responding to, but I think my question still is important: Are "Asian spas" invariably brothels or is this just a stereotype? If they are usually brothels, why are they not shut down by police? Greenville does actively do sting operations to bust prostitution, so why wouldn't they go after these places?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM

155 posts, read 265,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaddaline View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

My girlfriend and I were driving back to NC from GA a few weeks ago and stopped at Olive Garden for dinner. We asked for a couple glasses of wine and were told no Alcohol on Sunday. The waiters reaction was one of surprise like OMG I can't believe you asked. We did not stay to eat! As we drove along 85 we started to see huge light build boards for adult toy stores and YES ladies and gentlemen Asian (brothel) spa's.

It is apparent SC struggles with bringing in tax revenue and road maintenance (including road litter).

As a northerner seeing brothel advertisement intermixed with laws banning Sunday alcohol sales is simply the most amazing and backward thing I have seen in years if not ever IMO.

What say you?
I'm glad you were unable to drink and drive. Your story has holes, so I don't believe you. Trolling OP gonna troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area