Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:07 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,741 times

Advertisements

Let's play nice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:19 PM

356 posts, read 677,714 times
It's not looking good at all for the Handlebar. May be losing an institution

Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM

202 posts, read 295,675 times
I try, art is cranky old man though

Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
It's not looking good at all for the Handlebar. May be losing an institution
Always too small

Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,911,686 times
The Handlebar was a good size for a venue of it's type. The parking situation was not very good though.

The biggest problem with the Handlebar was a combination of these 2 things 1) It wasn't booked well and 2) probably what lead to it not booking a well-rounded calendar was that we are semi surrounded by staple locations for bands that tour through the area; Charlotte, Asheville, Atlanta, and Athens are all pretty well-established stops for lots of musicians in different music scenes. Greenville just doesn't end up being a great stop for a lot of these bands. Even Columbia pulls some more well-known indie bands due to the college crowd there.

It's one of the few negatives that really bug me since I moved here but oh well! It is what it is - we just end up doing a lot of driving to see bands. (We actually were up in Charlotte last night for a show for example).

Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Young in Greenville live in Simpsonville

Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso View Post
Young in Greenville live in Simpsonville
Not necessarily. Look up the demographics. Simpsonville is mostly family folks and elderly. The younger generation still prefer downtown Greenville for nightlife.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:08 PM

20's. And 30's don't go downtown as much as people on here think

Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
According to WYFF, the Handlebar building is now under contract.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
The Handlebar was a good size for a venue of it's type. The parking situation was not very good though.

The biggest problem with the Handlebar was a combination of these 2 things 1) It wasn't booked well and 2) probably what lead to it not booking a well-rounded calendar was that we are semi surrounded by staple locations for bands that tour through the area; Charlotte, Asheville, Atlanta, and Athens are all pretty well-established stops for lots of musicians in different music scenes. Greenville just doesn't end up being a great stop for a lot of these bands. Even Columbia pulls some more well-known indie bands due to the college crowd there.

It's one of the few negatives that really bug me since I moved here but oh well! It is what it is - we just end up doing a lot of driving to see bands. (We actually were up in Charlotte last night for a show for example).
My son has the same complaint about not booking well. He likes the Orange Peel in Asheville which is very similar. He prefers the diversity of music they offer there. He likes jam bands but they have more. They need to book more popular and known bands. I'm all for local music but you can see that at local bars around for no cover. They had a good Led Zeppelin band from CA called ZOSO. I like the size of the venue and I think the place could really be so much more. There's no reason they can't have a well-rounded calendar with sold out shows. Heritage Park in Simpsonville is another venue that they don't book enough shows either. The PNC Music Pavilion in Charlotte is the same size and they host some decent bands. I heard the reason is because they don't have hotels for people to stay if they go to one of the concerts.

I'm curious to see where it will go and if they will make some changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area