Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:58 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Agreed, but its turning traffic and the four way stop at Roper Mtn, that causes almost of the slow downs on Batesville. Taking it out to 4-5 lanes would be nice, but only so much money to go around. Acquiring the right of ways on certain parts of that road would be pretty pricey if going out to four lanes.
If you are going to build a road right, you need to build it right the first time. If you are going to add a turn lane now and wait a few more years to add additional lanes, costs will be significantly higher later than now. Right now, right-of-way needs to be acquired to widen the road to five lanes and any available funds be used to adding turn lanes and signals at the intended intersections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 08:07 AM

Default First reading in road improvement sales tax referendum voted in favor

In the first reading Tuesday, Greenville County Council voted 8-3 in favor of a ballot referendum to impose a one cent sales tax directed to road improvement.

Bell, Rudolph. "Tax hike for roads gets closer to ballot." The Greenville News. 2014-05-06. GreenvilleOnline.com. 2014-05-07. <http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/money/business/2014/05/06/county-council-majority-backs-sales-tax-referendum/8783553/>

Hamilton, Addie. "Greenville County Council Advances Sales Tax Referendum Ordinance." WSPA-TV. 2014-05-06. wspa.com. 2014-05-07. <http://www.wspa.com/story/25447786/greenville-county-council-advances-sales-tax-referendum-ordinance>

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 05-07-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 PM

Default Greenville County referendum for road improvement sales tax increase going to the ballot

In the third and final reading on Tuesday, Greenville County council voted to send a referendum to increase the sales tax by one percent for road improvements to the ballot in November.

I have seen the ideas for road improvements this referendum could cover. For example, adding turn lanes on roads that should be widened to four lanes is not actual road improvement. That is money being wasted for work to be done again down the road.

It is also not the time to be increasing taxes. Costs of living are higher than they should be.

Previous topics:
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...-tax-plan.html (2012-12-05)
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...nite-stop.html (2013-11-05)

Jenson, Ed. "Sales Tax Increase Going to the Ballot in Greenville County." WORD 106.3 FM. 2014-06-03. Retrieved 2014-06-04. <http://www.word1063.com/Sales-Tax-Increase-Going-to-the-Ballot-in-Greenvil/19144889>

Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
In the third and final reading on Tuesday, Greenville County council voted to send a referendum to increase the sales tax by one percent for road improvements to the ballot in November.

I have seen the ideas for road improvements this referendum could cover. For example, adding turn lanes on roads that should be widened to four lanes is not actual road improvement. That is money being wasted for work to be done again down the road.

It is also not the time to be increasing taxes. Costs of living are higher than they should be.

Previous topics:
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...-tax-plan.html (2012-12-05)
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...nite-stop.html (2013-11-05)

Jenson, Ed. "Sales Tax Increase Going to the Ballot in Greenville County." WORD 106.3 FM. 2014-06-03. Retrieved 2014-06-04. <http://www.word1063.com/Sales-Tax-Increase-Going-to-the-Ballot-in-Greenvil/19144889>
I am certainly not a fan of raising taxes. I've heard mostly from the side who wants to raise taxes of how great the road improvements will be. From the side against, I've mostly heard that raising taxes is bad.

What I want to know is if we do not raise taxes, will we ever get the funds from the state to do what needs to be done?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I am certainly not a fan of raising taxes. I've heard mostly from the side who wants to raise taxes of how great the road improvements will be. From the side against, I've mostly heard that raising taxes is bad.

What I want to know is if we do not raise taxes, will we ever get the funds from the state to do what needs to be done?
Going off this article I would say the answer to that question is no which is why I am voting yes come this November: SC Lawmakers End Session, Pass Road Safety Bills But Not Road Fu - WSPA.com

Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Going off this article I would say the answer to that question is no which is why I am voting yes come this November: SC Lawmakers End Session, Pass Road Safety Bills But Not Road Fu - WSPA.com
Not to mention that Haley has vowed to veto any bill that raises revenues for roads in this state. I guess the ride in her chauffeured limo is so cushioned she doesn't notice our roads are crumbling.

If passed, it sets the dangerous precedent that the state can fail to do its job and the wealthy counties will pave the roads on their own. Greenville County is left with no good options.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,982 times
Some road work is already being done on SC 290/Locust Hill and N. Rutherford. Looks like they are preparing to add turn lanes to that intersection (backs up a ton during morning/evening traffic hours).

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
This shouldn't be funded by a sales tax. Sales taxes are regressive and disproportionately hurt poor people, and can stifle sales.

If they must have a sales tax, state and local governments should also apply it to professional services. A better alternative would be to get rid of sales taxes altogether and rely entirely on income and wealth taxes with progressively higher rates on wealthier taxpayers.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Some road work is already being done on SC 290/Locust Hill and N. Rutherford. Looks like they are preparing to add turn lanes to that intersection (backs up a ton during morning/evening traffic hours).
This is correct. You will notice the metal traffic signal posts have been positioned to accommodate the eventual widening of Locust Hill Road to four lanes. I doubt curb and gutter will be used at the intersection, but used only if they will leave room for the four lanes going through in the near future.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
This shouldn't be funded by a sales tax. Sales taxes are regressive and disproportionately hurt poor people, and can stifle sales.

If they must have a sales tax, state and local governments should also apply it to professional services. A better alternative would be to get rid of sales taxes altogether and rely entirely on income and wealth taxes with progressively higher rates on wealthier taxpayers.
So basically increase the taxes on the working class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area