Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 07:41 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I was in the Lyman location recently. I doubt there were more than five other people shopping the entire time. That Bilo location was actually pretty consistently packed. It may have something to do with the fact that their store brand milk was $3.69 a gallon (versus $1.62 at the Food Lion a minute away), or selling ungraded (or at least I couldn't find it anywhere on the package, and they weren't well marbled) ribeyes for over $12 a pound. It simply gives off the vibe of lower quality at higher prices.
Food Lion is going to be the clear winner in that Lyman situation now. I have always found the FL brand prices to be good. Ice Cream is always a great deal too better than Walmart. Always liked the 3 day sales. Surprised FL didn't take the Easley store. They will have several stores further down the road in the Clemson-Seneca area now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 09:39 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Food Lion is going to be the clear winner in that Lyman situation now. I have always found the FL brand prices to be good. Ice Cream is always a great deal too better than Walmart. Always liked the 3 day sales. Surprised FL didn't take the Easley store. They will have several stores further down the road in the Clemson-Seneca area now.
I never understood the lack of enthusiasm for Food Lion. The one of W. Georgia Rd has never been that busy. You can shop there just about any day or anytime and rarely run into another shopper. I drive by the new Publix and Walmart NM to go to FL (although I do most of our shopping at Aldi). Both Publix and NM are packed right now. Easy in and out of Food Lion.

If the "proposed" Harris Teeter moves in across the road from FL, then they may have something to worry about, but FL has a nice niche right now.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I never understood the lack of enthusiasm for Food Lion. The one of W. Georgia Rd has never been that busy. You can shop there just about any day or anytime and rarely run into another shopper. I drive by the new Publix and Walmart NM to go to FL (although I do most of our shopping at Aldi). Both Publix and NM are packed right now. Easy in and out of Food Lion.

If the "proposed" Harris Teeter moves in across the road from FL, then they may have something to worry about, but FL has a nice niche right now.
I agree and that FL has self checkout. You go to the beach or Charlotte and FL is everywhere. The FL stores in Greenwood are always busy. I think Bi-Lo disappearing will help them here this time. For some reason many long time residents of Greenville County loved and were loyal to their Bi-Lo. It was like a bad habit. Guess those are hard to break. lol.

When I lived in Tennessee and Bi-Lo came into Knoxville and the outskirts of Nashville with really nice stores many turned their nose up and continued to go to Kroger. Guess it's what you grow up with.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:27 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
I agree and that FL has self checkout. You go to the beach or Charlotte and FL is everywhere. The FL stores in Greenwood are always busy. I think Bi-Lo disappearing will help them here this time. For some reason many long time residents of Greenville County loved and were loyal to their Bi-Lo. It was like a bad habit. Guess those are hard to break. lol.

When I lived in Tennessee and Bi-Lo came into Knoxville and the outskirts of Nashville with really nice stores many turned their nose up and continued to go to Kroger. Guess it's what you grow up with.
I can agree with that! Up until, oh some time in the 80s, we only shopped at one place - Winn Dixie. Then it closed, so we shopped BiLo, and still do to a point, but not like we use to. Now its mostly Sams and Aldis and the occasional trip to Food Lion and sometimes Ingles if we need something and are close by.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:47 PM

192 posts, read 207,075 times
Has the new Lowes Foods on Pelham Rd opened yet (in the former Bilo)?

Also, rumor has it that they are considering sites for locations in Anderson and Spartanburg. My sources who told me that Lidl cancelled a proposed Travelers Rest location and that Lidl was looking in Greer (which has since been put on hold in favor of an Augusta St location) said that they have heard the same.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:07 PM

15 posts, read 16,208 times
Does anyone know what might be happening to the Bi-Lo on S Pleasantburg? Noticed that the parking lot was paved and re-striped but didn't see any signage of someone else moving into the space. I tried reading thru the threads and didn't find any mention of what might be happening on that corner.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.brayden.sherman View Post
Has the new Lowes Foods on Pelham Rd opened yet (in the former Bilo)?

Also, rumor has it that they are considering sites for locations in Anderson and Spartanburg. My sources who told me that Lidl cancelled a proposed Travelers Rest location and that Lidl was looking in Greer (which has since been put on hold in favor of an Augusta St location) said that they have heard the same.
Yes. Lowes Foods is already open on Pelham. The remodel will start in the new year.

The store Lidl canceled was actually on Poinsett Hwy near Furman across from the University Sq. Publix. Property is up for sale now.
Lidl only plans one new store in SC for 21 in N. Charleston according to this:
https://www.businessinsider.com/lidl...cations-2020-8

Old 12-22-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelcar View Post
Does anyone know what might be happening to the Bi-Lo on S Pleasantburg? Noticed that the parking lot was paved and re-striped but didn't see any signage of someone else moving into the space. I tried reading thru the threads and didn't find any mention of what might be happening on that corner.
The county was considering it for new EMS HQ. Not sure if that will happen.

https://www.postandcourier.com/green...d66268c97.html

Old 12-22-2020, 05:42 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
I’m a Publix Girl, for sure.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ate/115084946/

Old 12-27-2020, 10:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Food Lion in Lyman has never been a busy store. It and KJ's Market have light customer parking during peak shopping times during the day. Fewer customers lead to less profits. If Ingle's returns and/or Publix comes to Lyman, someone will be busy and successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area