Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:13 PM

696 posts, read 1,337,147 times

Advertisements

It seems there was another site I found a while back and posted to C-D, but now I don't see it in a quick search. This works in a pinch, however.

SwimmingHoles.info Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors skinny dipping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM

271 posts, read 798,293 times
Lake Jocassee is fantastic! Bit of a drive from Greenville (depending on where you are), but it's worth the drive. Beautiful mountain background, clean water, and public restrooms. It doesn't have an actual "beach" but most people just set up on the grassy area.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,101,763 times
Here are a couple others under or around an hour away:

The Beach at Lake Lure | Lake Lure Inn & Spa

Lake Powhatan Campground | Camping near Asheville NC | Cradle of Forestry Interpretive Association

Old 06-24-2014, 09:44 PM

632 posts, read 750,312 times
Sliding Rock NC

Old 06-27-2014, 07:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,664,626 times
Try not to swallow any of the water at Paris Mountain state park if you know what I mean.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,224,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Try not to swallow any of the water at Paris Mountain state park if you know what I mean.
What!?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 PM

7 posts, read 10,321 times
My family likes to visit Wildcat Branch Falls. It's right off the side of the road, and my young kids (age 5) are able to play right in the waterfall. I believe they've also done a facelift to the area, cleaning it out, adding sand to the rocks at the bottom, and building up stone steps.

As far as pools - we're members of the Eastside YMCA. It's meh - your indoor standard pool. I know a lot of subdivisions let outside members pay to join (Sugar Creek, Pelham Falls, etc).

Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 PM

271 posts, read 798,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Don't bother with either of these. We used to live in Asheville and have done both of these.

Lake Powhatan is not really a full on lake...more like a pond. You can literally see the entire lake by standing on the beach. And as soon as you get onto the sand, there is a HUGE sign that says not to feed the ducks, as it draws them to the beach area, and ecoli is an issue. I thought, eh, welcome to nature. But no...the ducks literally hang out all over the beach and the beach and water is just duck poo everywhere. Quite gross. NOT worth a drive to Asheville.

Lake Lure, while beautiful, costs and arm and a leg. Keeping in mind it's a good 90 minute drive from Greenville proper (gorgeous drive, but there's a bunch of gas for ya), then it's $8.00 a person to get in. So you just spent $30-40 to get into the beach area. And it's not really all that big as far as the public beach access, so on a crowded summer day, you will be elbow to elbow in the water with others.

Better lakes, and cheaper are closer.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,224,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiis View Post
Keeping in mind it's a good 90 minute drive from Greenville proper (gorgeous drive, but there's a bunch of gas for ya), then it's $8.00 a person to get in..
That is kinda far. I was thinking more like 30 minutes drive max from Greenville/Greer.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,803,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
What!?
A good tool:

My Waterway

The creek that feeds the swimming area at Paris Mtn. is listed as "polluted," but no cause is given. But if it's not healthy enough water for fish and wildlife to exist in, it may not be the best water to spend a lot of time in for people, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area