Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 04:03 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Chuy's isn't in Magnolia.
Wherever it will be, it is more hype than good food. While it was being billed as a "win" for Greenville, after eating there, it is a fancy Monterrey's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,542 times
Give me some IKEA in Magnolia instead! MEATBALLZ!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Wherever it will be, it is more hype than good food. While it was being billed as a "win" for Greenville, after eating there, it is a fancy Monterrey's.
Never been there, but I'm glad to have the option if I choose to try it. I might like it.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Never been there, but I'm glad to have the option if I choose to try it. I might like it.
You are wise. Chuy's is one of those places that is different from each location. Wisely one cannot even dismiss one location without giving it several tries because they have such diversity on the menu. For instance they have about sixteen different salsas. Now how can one make a choice from that one visit. (creamy jalapeno is THE one)

True it is just Tex-Mex. It started in an old building on the edge of the University of Texas in Austin many years ago. Now this is a history that parallels Ruby Tuesday if you know their beginning , but that is the end of the comparison to those over franchised places. If it is running correctly it is very social and the staff interacts across the board as if you are at there party. They try very hard to make you welcome and pleased.

I wrote all that but must say I did give them hell the first few visits. I don't like their margaritas, ouch. They tried so hard. They being management from Austin in for the opening of the one I was going to. I finally stopped letting them try and switched to the sangria which wasn't bad at all. If I want Mexican I do not go there. It is a hybrid but a really good one. What other Mexican place makes the tortillas daily right in front of you. They are good.

Anyway, dining out and sharing conviviality is something that should not be so serious. Have some fun and find something you like and nobody will force you to go again. It's hard to get in to often anyway.

I will leave you with one recommendation. Have or go and pick up an order of 'Tres Leches'. If you are not familiar, this is a very homey traditional sheet cake served by most moms in Mexico. It has three forms of milk as the name implies and is lightly drizzled with caramel topping and usually fresh sliced strawberries. One of the best desserts , and the best example I have ever had on either side of the border .

Be happy,
raj

ps thanks for the replies as to what is going on over at MP lately; been out of touch

Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
You may, but, it is not anything more than average, nothing to get too excited about. Of course, some claimed Cheddars as a sign of greatness.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
You may, but, it is not anything more than average, nothing to get too excited about. Of course, some claimed Cheddars as a sign of greatness.
Not everyone is on your high level.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,542 times
Are there any other ___-Mexi? I'm not a huge fan f tex-mex, but wonder if some Azmex, Camex, or Newmex²!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Not everyone is on your high level.
Chill out, just sharing an opinion that Chuys is a Mexican Applebee's. I am sure some will like it.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Quote:
I appreciate your input regarding the quality. I remained reserved for that very reason, having never dined at Chuy's prior to their arrival in South Carolina.

Regarding the comment that this restaurant has been billed as "a win for Greenville", I believe it is true, despite the fact that I haven't stepped foot in the place yet. It benefits the city by providing several jobs and directly generates tax revenue. Additionally, I know people who traveled from Spartanburg last week primarily to dine at Chuy's because they were fans of the restaurant in the Miami area (one of them is originally from Texas) and they love it so much that they're planning to visit Greenville more often in the near future. If they purchase anything in Trader Joe's, Whole Foods Market, World Market, or REI (or any other store in town), or if they go to a movie at the Hollywood 20 RPX or purchase fuel at a store in town, then the benefit will increase.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM

245 posts, read 319,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Where I visited today and what Magnolia Park could have been...sad:

Magnolia Park looks pretty nice to me, especially considering the economy has been horrible. I'm not sure why Greenville would need a St. John's Town center type of thing given the viablity of the Haywood mall, the fact most of the retail/restaurants are already on woodruff in the Greenridge shopping center and the one across the street, and the fact downtown Greenville is already a social gathering place for people in town. Most people don't like to wander about and shop for hours, they like to just drive to the store they want to buy something at and get something out so a town center concept isn't really that viable anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area