Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 03:07 PM

635 posts, read 756,198 times

Advertisements

For some unknown reason, about 20 hornets have decided to make my porch their home. They came out of nowhere just today. I cannot find their nest, but they appear to have something behind the shutters.

Is this something I should call an exterminator for and if so, any suggestions on a company? Or can I do something myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 03:37 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,214,193 times
Horrible! Has same thing happen at my house in Florida several years ago. Went to clean & prepare hurricane shutters for the season & all I can say is WOW! Attempted to try to get rid of them ourselves but realized it was not smart idea. Luckily that same night we ran into realtor we used to buy the house at local restaurant. She advised me to call property management company in subdivision as we we have HOA. They sent landscaping company the next day as there is huge tree in front of house & the branches were part of the problem. They called in exterminating company & guy was on a ladder all suited up & solved our problem quick. Seeing guy all suited up made me glad I did not try to do it myself!

Good luck..please call in someone..safer that way.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,807,003 times
I don't know much, but I do know:

1) They will all be gone for the year in the next week or two when it gets cold.

2) Clemson has an awesome website to help ID and deal with all kinds of bugs, pests, plants, etc. Here's their bug page:

Extension Insect Information Fact Sheets : College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences : Clemson University : South Carolina

Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,852,658 times
If you can locate the nest it is fairly easy to spray them with some hornet killer spray, and this will not require hiring an exterminator.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 AM

690 posts, read 1,149,532 times
The warm weather brought out a bunch this weekend. Had a few get inside our house through some unknown hole/crack. So I've been swatting them down left and right. If you can see the nest outside then get a can of spray and nuke it. It kills them on contact and has about a 20' range.

If the nest is in your attic or someplace unreachable then wait till a cold freeze comes. It will kill them off (except the queen).

Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 AM

635 posts, read 756,198 times
I'm assuming the queen was the monster one I saw? I highly doubt they are coming from the attic. They kept going in and out of the front shutters of the house and nowhere else. I was just shocked at how many there were and that they came from nowhere.

I probably can hold off on getting an exterminator.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:35 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,304,991 times
Do you have vinyl siding? The nest might be under the siding of the house....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: