Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 6,515 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Need some advice please.

My wife's new company will be moving us both to Toronto (from Portugal) in the next few months and we're really excited.

Problem is, we'd like to live in the downtown area but her new office will be in Mississauga. Following some research, it seems that using public transport will involve too many changes etc, so we're looking at the option of a car.

The other problem is, we're only likely to be based in Toronto for around a year so I was wondering if anyone could suggest alternatives. Can you hire a car for a year? Or lease one? As we're only going to be there for a year buying one seems pretty pointless.

Thanks in advance.

Tony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM

178 posts, read 523,817 times
why would buying one be pointless. you can easily buy a decent car for $5000 and sell it for close to the same price

Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Dont the Go trains go out to Mississauga ?
I'd avoid owning a car in Toronto if possible as traffic is an unrelenting pain in the butt

Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
why would buying one be pointless. you can easily buy a decent car for $5000 and sell it for close to the same price
To be honest, we'd rather not have to put up with the hassle of buying, insuring, repairing then selling if we're only going to be staying for a year or so... Also, there's the hassle of the traffic - see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Dont the Go trains go out to Mississauga ?
I'd avoid owning a car in Toronto if possible as traffic is an unrelenting pain in the butt
Just checked the Go Trains map. Apparently go trains seem to veer either side of Mississauga and avoid it for some reason

Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
The Go trains will definitely get you out of Toronto's downtown core and out to Meadowvale station where a connecting bus will probably get you where you need to go..Sure beats battling rush hour traffic.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM

277 posts, read 786,057 times
I can't comment on the car issue, but did you know that Toronto has the second largest Portuguese diaspora after France? Little Portugal is an awesome neighbourhood too, I'd say one of the best in the city.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM

161 posts, read 520,937 times
You might want to consider living in Etobicoke (the west end of Toronto), close to the subway line. That way you'd be able to get down-town on the subway within a half hour and also have easy access to Mississauga transit.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coaster View Post
You might want to consider living in Etobicoke (the west end of Toronto), close to the subway line. That way you'd be able to get down-town on the subway within a half hour and also have easy access to Mississauga transit.
Hey All. Thanks for all your comments and advice. Really appreciate it.

Looks as though we're probably going to need a car of some sorts, ie, Lease or Purchase. As I've checked and there are no real links for getting to the offices in Mississauga. It's a shame really, the Go-Transit passes above and below but avoids the area the offices are in, probably because there's not much there, except an industrial park.
As for transit and changing buses/trains, i'm just thinking of the winter and the logistics of that...
Besides, having a car could have some advantages when it comes to exploring the surrounding area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto