Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:24 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_96SC View Post
I would like to know what you base this statement on. Highly educated to lowly educated seems very subjective without any information to support the statement.

Just curious.
The census.......for Greenville county, just over 30% of the population has a college degree, in SC...Charleston and Richland are 38 & 36% respectively. For Travis County Texas, the percent is 44. In the Carolina's, Meck (Charlotte) is over 40% and Wake (Raleigh) is 47%. So, no, it is not subjective. Greenville trails badly in this area.

This is surprising considering that the county seems to be attracting more retirees as the recent over 65 population rate Is at 14%, way above Columbia, Charlotte & Raleigh.....all 10% or below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
GSP, what are you talking about? I happen to know of a couple staff members at the Peace Center (one in marketing) - they are extremely hard-working (sometimes overworked LOL) - they bring professional, high-quality events to Greenville. (Again) I personally know of several people/families who regularly drive from Asheville/Western NC to the Peace Center for events.

Upcoming (or recent) events at the Peace Center: Stomp, Wicked, The Book of Mormon, Beauty & the Beast, Cinderella, Kinky Boots, Shen Yun, etc. Yes, some of these shows are not new - I am one of the few people that has not seen Wicked - can't wait to see it in Greenville!

I did forget to mention another "Surprise" for the Upstate

Professional Ballet: my daughter is a student at Dance Arts Greenville (formerly School of Carolina Ballet Theatre) - the husband and wife instructors are amazing! (Hernan Justo trained in Argentina/Chile and Anita trained in Washington, DC) - my daughter is now mastering pointe

Dance Arts Greenville will perform The Nutcracker at the Peace Center in early December - for this show, they will incorporate various scenes from Greenville, including Liberty Bridge/Falls Park - I saw this last year and it was great!
What I am talking about is exactly what you said.......the shows are old. "A" list acts will go to Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh etc.......Columbia seems to attract good acts and as a number of performing arts venues, primarily due to Carolina. And Greenville get acts to the Peace Center, which I like. But, you will drive to see more of the larger/newer acts.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
I won't argue that the Peace Center doesn't get many "A" list plays like Atlanta or Charlotte. My point is were are not devoid of "culture" here.

Realize Wicked only premiered in 2003, Book of Mormon in 2011, Kinky Boots in 2012, Pippin (Broadway revival in 2013), and Cinderella (Broadway revival in 2013) - and the Peace Center will get all of these Broadway Series plays - this speaks volumes for the staff at the Peace Center (they are extremely hard-working individuals).

I *may* have extra tickets to The Nutcracker, Once Upon A Time in Greenville at the Peace Center (in early December) - GSP101 would you like to come?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I won't argue that the Peace Center doesn't get many "A" list plays like Atlanta or Charlotte. My point is were are not devoid of "culture" here.

Realize Wicked only premiered in 2003, Book of Mormon in 2011, Kinky Boots in 2012, Pippin (Broadway revival in 2013), and Cinderella (Broadway revival in 2013) - and the Peace Center will get all of these Broadway Series plays - this speaks volumes for the staff at the Peace Center (they are extremely hard-working individuals).

I *may* have extra tickets to The Nutcracker, Once Upon A Time in Greenville at the Peace Center (in early December) - GSP101 would you like to come?
Let me know the dates.......I may be in town.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Ehhhh....just ignore GSP101. He and gsupstate love to fill this sub-forum with BS. If you want real facts, I recommend contacting the Greenville Convention & Visitors Bureau: http://www.visitgreenvillesc.com

Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Ehhhh....just ignore GSP101. He and gsupstate love to fill this sub-forum with BS. If you want real facts, I recommend contacting the Greenville Convention & Visitors Bureau: VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source
Greenville CVB.........LOL, they are the worst folks to contact, they will have you believing that Greenville is equal to NYC for the arts. My sources are the Census, St Louis Fed, BLS and some private economic entities, if you want to believe Greenville CVB over those established entities, go for it.

No GMAN, you are just a Greenville cheerleader who ignores basic facts. If folks are seriously looking for a move, they deserve to hear correct information not the "Greenville is great" tagline used for so many years.

To the OP.......it would be a good idea to visit places for at least a week before moving. On this board, the Greenville crowd tends to oversell itself, especially folks like GMAN, Whitewater etc.....When I was in Alaska recently, I ran into some folks from Greenville. Surrounded by the natural beauty of Alaska, their comment to me was "have you been to downtown Greenville, it is spectacular". After my initial reaction of "why are we talking about Greenville when we are looking at Glaciers and I live in Charlotte, Greenville is about the size of one block on Tryon ST", I remembered what drove me crazy about living in that area, it is the most oversold/overrated town in the south. Locals love to build it up and Main St is nice but that is where it stops. Can you have a nice life in Greenville, yes. Can you have a better life elsewhere, absolutely.

You may hear that places like Easley, Pickens, Greer, Anderson etc are great places to live with lively downtowns. In reality, they are just small towns with not much to offer unless you want a very very very simple lifestyle. And, with these towns, you will get corrupt politicians and a nice redneck crowd. For some, that is the perfect life, for others, not so much, all depends on what you want.

Last edited by GSP101; 11-30-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 01:24 PM

26 posts, read 42,855 times
We plan on visiting several times before moving. We mainly want some place that can keep us active, we feel Greenville has that. We've done about everything in Austin and it's overrated to be honest. We don't care about driving to some place like Charlotte to go to a big concert or sporting event but we're not going to go from one 800k town to another.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:53 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
I've lived in both places, Greenville and Austin. If you want the opposite of Austin, Greenville probably is a good fit for you.

Austin has a HUGE music scene, Greenville's is virtually non-existent compared to Austin. You have to travel to Asheville at least for a vibrant music scene.

Austin's motto is "Keep Austin weird." That's frowned upon here, akin to evil. We like our walls to be beige and our pants to be Dockers.

Rent's and real estate are crazy expensive in Austin. Greenville area still has a ton of land for all the sprawl to fill into. Home prices (and values) go up slowly here, unless you are in a few neighborhoods near downtown which are seeing a surge in prices over the past few years.

Austin is liberal overall. Greenville is hugely conservative.

I personally wouldn't have been able to stand Greenville before I was 35 years old or so. It's just too boring. It is a good place to raise kids, though. And to retire to. You can live cheaply as far as housing goes, although the cheap neighborhoods do feel very cheap to me.

There are some outdoor activities if you are willing to drive a bit, and the beach is much closer here than for Austinites.

Getting around on a bike here is putting your life into other people's (bike-ignorant) hands.

Good luck on your visit(s) and make sure you drive around to neighborhoods in your price range and see the surrounding areas.

Last edited by Art123; 12-01-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 03:53 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I've lived in both places, Greenville and Austin. If you want the opposite of Austin, Greenville probably is a good fit for you.

Austin has a HUGE music scene, Greenville's is virtually non-existent compared to Austin. You have to travel to Asheville at least for a vibrant music scene.

Austin's motto is "Keep Austin weird." That's frowned upon here, akin to evil. We like our walls to be beige and our pants to be Dockers.

Rent's and real estate are crazy expensive in Austin. Greenville area still has a ton of land for all the sprawl to fill into. Home prices (and values) go up slowly here, unless you are in a few neighborhoods near downtown which are seeing a surge in prices over the past few years.

Austin is liberal overall. Greenville is hugely conservative.

I personally wouldn't have been able to stand Greenville before I was 35 years old or so. It's just too boring. It is a good place to raise kids, though. And to retire to. You can live cheaply as far as housing goes, although the cheap neighborhoods do feel very cheap to me.

There are some outdoor activities if you are willing to drive a bit, and the beach is much closer here than for Austinites.

Getting around on a bike here is putting your life into other people's (bike-ignorant) hands.

Good luck on your visit(s) and make sure you drive around to neighborhoods in your price range and see the surrounding areas.
Good point about the age thing! When I was young I LOVED NYC; I found Raleigh very boring although we moved there when I was no longer that young. Our kids very young though and It was good for them. At that age I suppose I would have found Greenville even more boring. Both places, Raleigh and Greenville, are good places to bring up a family, though. Now that I am, ahem, a bit older, I don't miss NY nightlife or the huge choice of theater, etc., and find Greenville to be just right, pace-wise and culture-wise. I always loved the mountains, much more than the beach, and for me the outdoor opportunities are the biggest plus, in addition to downtown. Greenville, as you said, is also pretty affordable.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:11 PM

26 posts, read 42,855 times
Well I'll be 33 and my wife will be 35 when we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area