Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times

Advertisements

The obsession is REAL.

Are you really wasting your entire weekend posting hate on message boards about Greenville again?

You know it's supposed to be almost 60 degrees outside today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post

Actually, Charlotte is both, a work and play DT.

I do find the hypocrisy funny. But, Greenville has been great at becoming the panhandler of cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:32 PM

77 posts, read 107,488 times
The Continental Tire project in Sumter received $58.9 in the new markets tax credit. Sumter isn't exactly a Republican area.

Highlands Baking Company in Spartanburg received $13.5 million in the new markets tax credit.

A company called Horsehead built a manufacturing facility in Barnwell with $20 million in this new markets tax credit.

Obviously there is no favoritism for Greenville if projects in smaller cities in the state secured the same tax credit. It doesn't seem likely any project downtown Greenville received more tax credits than a large manufacturing facility project.

As previously noted, no Republican in SC can decide what projects are awarded the tax credit. That is a decision up to the federal government. Sumter and Barnwell are both overwhelmingly Democrat areas of the state and they received the credit. Given the poor area of the states are overwhelminling Democrat, and this credit is aimed at helping out poor areas, the credit is innately biased toward the Democrat areas. Downtown Greenville is mostly Democrat voters, and so I don't see what you are upset about. If the tax credit had gone to some rich Republicans living off of Roper Mountain road in the suburbs, you could have an argument.

Your conspiracy theory is unravelling. I already posted a link the map that clearly indicates that downtown Greenville is eligible for the tax credit and that descision is not made by REpublican politicains in the upstate.

I am now prepared to accept your apology on behalf of the good people of Greenville.

Last edited by S Ayers; 02-22-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 01:02 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
The obsession is REAL.

Are you really wasting your entire weekend posting hate on message boards about Greenville again?

Have you really posted almost 2,300 entries in 2 years.........and you claim there is a lot to do in Greenville?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:04 PM

There must not be much to do in Charlotte if you always online dumping on a city two hours away from you.

I wouldn't want to live in Montgomery ALabama. But I'm not going to go post on the Alabama forum about the city all the time.

The funny thing is at one point you claimed to have grown up in Greenville, which isn't true given your obvious lack of insight into living in the upstate, and now you are knocking the school system. Maybe you are proof of what you say about the school system being mediocre.

But considering the sorry Greenville schools enabled you to get into the prestigious U. of South Carolina, and then procure a prestigious job in downtown Charlotte, a city of well educated people and no uneducated people because it is in NC, the Greenville school system must be good enough, if we stipulate you actually grew up in Greenville. I have never seen somebody dump on their hometown this much, unless it was something like Lake City or Bamberg.

If I may be so bold, I will contend that Greenville is no Bamberg.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Ayers View Post
There must not be much to do in Charlotte if you always online dumping on a city two hours away from you.

I wouldn't want to live in Montgomery ALabama. But I'm not going to go post on the Alabama forum about the city all the time.

The funny thing is at one point you claimed to have grown up in Greenville, which isn't true given your obvious lack of insight into living in the upstate, and now you are knocking the school system. Maybe you are proof of what you say about the school system being mediocre.

But considering the sorry Greenville schools enabled you to get into the prestigious U. of South Carolina, and then procure a prestigious job in downtown Charlotte, a city of well educated people and no uneducated people because it is in NC, the Greenville school system must be good enough, if we stipulate you actually grew up in Greenville. I have never seen somebody dump on their hometown this much, unless it was something like Lake City or Bamberg.

If I may be so bold, I will contend that Greenville is no Bamberg.
3000 posts over 5 years is not a lot. But, Greenville's haul of $300m in tax credits within 1 decade is quite large.......not sure any other city can claim that.

And, if you believe politics is not a part of this process, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
3000 posts over 5 years is not a lot. But, Greenville's haul of $300m in tax credits within 1 decade is quite large.......not sure any other city can claim that.

And, if you believe politics is not a part of this process, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

It isn't Greenville's haul. It is the developer's haul, if your figure is even legit. You have never posted a source for this number. As previously noted, residents of Greenville do no receive dividends, profits, from the ONE project and any other project that received a tax credit.

Given Greenville hasa a lot more development going on in its downtown area, and the downtown area is eligible for this tax credit, it doesn't seem illogical that Greenville related projects received a lot of the tax credits over past 10 years, vs a downtown like COlumbia where the onlyd evelopment is university related which already received tax dollars.
Greeenville downtown was already a thing prior to the ONE project that you are so obsessed with but actually Greenville residents could care less about.
All of that stuff would have gome to downtown, or Greenville somewhere, without the tax credit being given. The tax credit doesn't ensure Brook Brothers and the others makes a profit if they locate down there. The demand for thigns in downtown Greenville is not government induced.

You are paranoid about Republicans in the upstate. They probably not as powerful as you think they are.

IF Haley and the rest had blocked the projects in Sumter and Barnwell trying to get the tax credit, then your conspiracy theory would become ever so real. A nightmare in fact. I saw a picture of Haley at the ribbon cutting in Sumter for COntinental Tire which is the premiere project in the state for the new markets tax credit.

Last edited by S Ayers; 02-22-2015 at 01:30 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Ayers View Post
It isn't Greenville's haul. It is the developer's haul, if your figure is even legit. You have never posted a source for this number.

Given Greenville hasa a lot more development going on in its downtown area, and the downtown area is eligible for this tax credit, it doesn't seem illogical that Greenville related projects received a lot of the tax credits over past 10 years, vs a downtown like COlumbia where the onlyd evelopment is university related which already received tax dollars.
Greeenville downtown was already a thing prior to the ONE project that you are so obsessed with but actually Greenville residents could care less about.
All of that stuff would have gome to downtown, or Greenville somewhere, without the tax credit being given. The tax credit doesn't ensure Brook Brothers and the others makes a profit if they locate down there. The demand for thigns in downtown Greenville is not government induced.

You are paranoid about Republicans in the upstate. They probably not as powerful as you think they are.
Actually, Columbia has $1.25b is current construction projects........without Columbia Common, another $1b+ project. These projects are university related, private sector related, hotels, offices, shops etc. In fact, one of the coolest projects in SC is in Columbia, the redevelopment of the Keenan building into apartments. The building's façade was removed which revealed the intricate brick work.

Developers do not apply to the feds for tax credits, they are administered through a local group. Do you even know what a tax credit is?

As for Brooks Brothers......one, it is a tiny store. Two, who knows what they are paying in rent.......Hughes gave Clemson 70k sq feet, if they can do that, they can give BB low rent which makes the store more likely to be profitable. Notice, likely.........not sure the low rent will allow the store to meet desired margins but we will see.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Actually, Columbia has $1.25b is current construction projects........without Columbia Common, another $1b+ project. These projects are university related, private sector related, hotels, offices, shops etc. In fact, one of the coolest projects in SC is in Columbia, the redevelopment of the Keenan building into apartments. The building's façade was removed which revealed the intricate brick work.

Developers do not apply to the feds for tax credits, they are administered through a local group. Do you even know what a tax credit is?

As for Brooks Brothers......one, it is a tiny store. Two, who knows what they are paying in rent.......Hughes gave Clemson 70k sq feet, if they can do that, they can give BB low rent which makes the store more likely to be profitable. Notice, likely.........not sure the low rent will allow the store to meet desired margins but we will see.
The local group still has to make sure the project meets the federal qreuirements for the credit. The credit map clearly indicates anywhere around Main Street is eligible. I personally think the credit should only go to projects like the one in Sumter but that is the government's call, not people in Greenville.

I'm pretty sure Clemson is paying for their space. He didn't just give them anything. lol Never heard of that in business.

Greenville will survive if a clothing store doesn't make it downtown.

Greenville is a Republican success story, a city who did it own its own, where people and businesses are partners, not enemies.

My thesis is that you don't want to praise Greenville because in your mind it is to praise REpublican vision and leadership. Thusly, you wish to paint its success as deriving from the generosity of the federal government, who just happens to have this odd favoritism for Greenville, despite its reputation amongst some as a tea party hotbed.

The Columbia forum is right down the street from this one. THe Commons project is the result of taxpayer welfare, for a Target and Marshall's and Bojangles to be located in a area away from the parts of downtown anybody wants to go to. It is amazing you beat up on a tax credit project but support a another project by the same developer in a different city that is being funded by people's taxes in that city.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:42 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
The obsession is REAL.

Tried to rep you for this post but it wouldn't let me. I've found the ignore feature to be very useful. Unfortunately, you still see the posts when others quote them but no system is perfect.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:48 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Red, I just put the facts out there, don't shoot the messenger. The simple fact is that the federal government has been a huge contributor financially to building DT Greenville. And, by a long shot, way more than Columbia and Charleston combined.

From a person who pays federal taxes, why does a city of 60k residents deserve over $300m in tax credits within 100 years? That seems a little more than generous.
A downtown that centers an urban area of 400k+ and the largest msa in South Carolina. Why do you care so much? You spend 99 percent of your time bashing Greenville. It's a sickness. Go post about the cities you love in their forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area