Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2My3 View Post
Thanks! We will check it out. We've decided not give up on Greenville since we were in love the minute we drove into town. Problem was we quickly fell out of love the minute we drove outside the city limits into the suburbs. I look forward to visiting again in the Spring to see what we missed.
LOL! I can understand; some of the roads going into the suburbs are unattractive, as well. If you are interested there are neighborhoods that have Charleston-style homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
I agree with what the other posters have said. It sounds like if the OP moves to this area, they will be the happiest near downtown from what they have mentioned. It seems that is what the OP has their mind set on. They are not going to get the same feel as downtown Greenville in any of the suburbs. It's just 2 different things. I know there are some nice subdivisions around downtown if the OP can afford them. It can also give them a sense of community that they are looking for. I can agree with BRB as well, when you drive out of downtown Greenville, the roads leading to the suburbs can be unattractive. I know they are working on it though. It's one of the things I'd really like to see changed here. It doesn't have that new feeling like Alpharetta.

If you decide to go about 7 mi from downtown, check out the Pebble Creek area. It has a great sense of community, a pool, clubhouse and nice homes. It's a quick trip to downtown. I think you can find the grocery stores close as well. I know when you're driving on some of these roads, it may look like there aren't any stores around but you go the next street over and have everything. If you are looking for
this : "One of our reasons for looking at Greenville is it's proximity to Clemson. Our daughter wants to go to school there next year. Also, my husband's sales territory is the southeast. You can be in Columbia or Charlotte in an hour and half, Asheville in an hour, Atlanta in 2 hours, and Charleston in 3 hours.", Greenville is definitely the spot

One other area I may suggest is Fort Mill, SC or Tega Cay, SC. I think the OP would possibly like it there as well.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I wanted to jump in and give my generalizations of the Upstate/Greenville - I'm not a native to SC and have lived/visited many of the larger cities of the Southeast.

If you are trying to find an expansive, upscale suburb in the Upstate, it's not here. I'm comparing (the Upstate) to areas such as Alpharetta/Cumming, GA, Mountain Brook, AL, Brentwood/Franklin, TN, and Irving Park (Greensboro), NC. People in the Upstate will point to Thornblade/Greer but this pales in comparison to any of the areas listed above.

I've made some realizations:
  • the Upstate of SC is gigantic/expansive - with this, the wealth is spread from Lake Keowee/Anderson to Spartanburg County - there are few (if any) large areas of upscale suburbia
  • with some exceptions, people don't flaunt wealth - much less "keeping up with the Joneses" than other larger cities - I know several families with modest homes and significant wealth
  • the city of Greenville, esp near downtown, has tremendous affluence and very pricey real estate (I know firsthand!)
My suggestion: forget Greer, Simpsonville, or any of the average suburbs around here - focus on being close to downtown Greenville - investigate North Main, Parkins Mill areas, Cleveland Park, Augusta Road, or even downtown (if you can afford it!). These areas have the easiest access to the Upstate's best shopping: downtown Greenville, Augusta Road, Haywood, Target/Trader Joe's/Magnolia Park. The Point (with Whole Foods, REI, etc) and Greenridge (Total Wine, Best Buy, etc) are both a little further. The public schools, esp in the Parkins Mill area, are very good to excellent.
Great info I love the comment about people flaunting their wealth and keeping up with the Joneses. It's something which we like about the area.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:12 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I used to live in Germantown many, many years ago - nothing like Germantown anywhere in Upstate SC - I don't know much about Collierville (I understand everything in Memphis continues to move/build east).
Collierville is the new Germantown. If you lived in Germantown many, many years ago, just think of that but newer. Alpharetta is a good analog for Atlanta. I can't really think of an area in Greenville that is really like that. I get the feeling this poster might not like this area much if that's what they are looking to replicate.

The Pebble Creek area was a good suggestion and might work but is going to be a pretty far drive out from Clemson. The Parkins Mill area of Greenville is a great area but has a lot of older homes - quite different from Alpharetta or Collierville. There are some nice neighborhoods in NE Anderson that would be convenient to Clemson but that area isn't going to be like living in Alpharetta or Collierville, either. Not much upscale shopping or dining in Anderson. There are some nice neighborhoods in Clemson but that is probably going to seem too rural. I get the feeling Powdersville would also feel too rural for them.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Collierville is the new Germantown. If you lived in Germantown many, many years ago, just think of that but newer...
I consider Memphis/Germantown, TN my "hometown" - I grew up there - Germantown was fantastic - unfortunately, I haven't been to the Memphis area in over 15 years.

Again, there is nothing in Upstate SC that resembles Germantown.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:28 AM

156 posts, read 227,276 times
@Mom2My3 - I agree with some of the previous posters that many of the "in town" neighborhoods are very convenient and desirable places to live - in terms of access to downtown, shopping, bike path and activities. Most of these neigborhoods are well established with larger lots and mature trees; they are not subdivisions with amenities like a pool or gym facilities. And, most of the housing stock in these neighborhoods is older but can still be very nice. I really like the Cleveland Park/Forest area because of it's proximity to both downtown and Cleveland Park. But, you do pay a higher price per square foot in the city neighborhoods than you do farther out and taxes will also be a little higher than outside the city limits.

If you are seeking more of a self-contained community with newer housing stock but also convenient shopping, you might want to look at Verdae, Carilion or Acadia. Verdae is a mixed-used community with housing that ranges from townhouses to million dollar homes. It has a large park and YMCA on the grounds and is directly accessible to Laurens and Woodruff roads. We looked at this community when we came to Greenville - at the time it felt a bit too barren to us (not many trees) and the lots in our price range were too small for our liking but I think they are now developing a new phase with slightly larger lots.

Carilion is a planned community that is about 20 minutes north of downtown and close to Furman University. It has craftsman-style homes, a community pool and a large park. It is one mile from the Swamp Rabbit Bike trail and close to 2 golf courses. It also is very close to the Furman University campus which is gorgeous and has many events. Two cons are that the public schools zoned for this community are not great and the drive to downtown via Poinsett is very ugly and has lots of lights. There are initiatives to revitalize this corridor, but it will probably take years to happen. Also, if you need quick access to 85, this is not the place to be. On the shopping front, there is very convenient access to everday needs: Publix, Wal-Mart and all the major drugstores are within 5-8 minute drive. There is also quaint downtown shopping in Traveler's Rest (3 miles north) with cafes, independent shops and a wonderful farmer's market during the warm weather. There is even an Aveda salon in TR It also has quicker access to hiking than the other 2 communities mentioned as you are heading in the direction of Ashville. But, if you want mall stores, Whole Foods or Trader Joes, you will need to make the hike to Haywood Mall or Woodruff Road. (FYI - there are 2 older developments in this same area called Green Valley Estates and Valley Oaks that have larger lots if that is important.)

Acadia is a planned community that is about 15-20 mins south of downtown off of 185. It is in Piedmont. The community has a lovely pool, tennis courts, wooded walking trails and a boathouse where residents can store kayaks to use on the Reedy River. Shopping isn't as convenient here, but 185 has very little traffic and you do have fast access to downtown. There is some big box shopping fairly close in the Powdersville area and the developer eventually plans to add some retail to the community. Public schools zoned for this community are not great. The families I know there either use private schools, charter schools or do "special permission" to send their child to a public school outside of their zone.

Hope this info helps! Good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,828 times
Hi everyone! Well, as of Feb 28 we will be Greenville area residents yayyy! Now, I need help narrowing down neighborhoods and Ive been following this thread for info on Greer, but still havent had my aha moment with any direct area. Not trying to hijack your thread lulu00

Cliff note version: Mom of 3 kiddos, need very safe area, great schools, and lots of activities (festivals, parks, parades, etc). Originally we planned on renting as close as possible to the Greenville Zoo (we fell in love with this area when we came to visit during the big ice storm last year ). The thing that makes me nervous is budget (one income household) and warnings to stay away from the West side of Greenville and the areas surrounding downtown. It was recommended I check out Taylors around the Pavillion, Easley, Greer, Mauldin, and anywhere between Woodruff and Pelham...but I want the security of having the bus as a backup transportation system (just incase)...so Im not sure it would be smart to move to any of these other towns and expect to get to Greenville on a daily basis.

Also, not into suburbia/big development feel areas...and really dont care about shopping, just give me a grocery store that takes coupons and a walmart or target and Im good!

Anyone have any suggestions? Not making another trip before we come up to live...so really just trying to narrow things down via internet

Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
I don't know your budget, but the apartments in Verdae are very nice and close to everything you would want. Tapestry and Azalea Hill are the complexes. There are sometimes townhomes there available for rent as well. Could be pricey though as I assume you need 3 bedrooms. There is a bus that goes down Verdae Boulevatd. You could also look around Pelham Rd.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I don't know your budget, but the apartments in Verdae are very nice and close to everything you would want. Tapestry and Azalea Hill are the complexes. There are sometimes townhomes there available for rent as well. Could be pricey though as I assume you need 3 bedrooms. There is a bus that goes down Verdae Boulevatd. You could also look around Pelham Rd.
Thank you! Ill look into those and the Pelham Rd area. I actually am only looking for a 2 bedroom since I have little ones who will share, so hopefully that will cut costs and raise options...As for my budget, it is modest...I am really trying to spend less than $800/month.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:17 PM

10 posts, read 17,841 times
Quote :"Public schools zoned for this community are not great. The families I know there either use private schools, charter schools or do "special permission" to send their child to a public school outside of their zone."

AKA-bo can you (Or anyone) tell me more about "special permission"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area