Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM

635 posts, read 757,397 times

Advertisements

I just saw a car drive full speed through a red light, crashing into the driver side corner of a car that was turning at an intersection. And the car kept going! It's a miracle she wasn't t-boned. And I don't know what was worse, the car driving through the red light or no car stopping to see if the woman was ok! I was in a turning lane with cars behind me, but for people who were just minding their own business and passing this woman's car going straight across the intersection, no one pulled by her to see if she was injured. Am I missing something? Where I come from, you get out of the car if someone appears to be injured or just got into a serious accident. I only saw ONE vehicle pull to the side of the road as soon as the incident happened and he looked like he was calling 911. But no one at that busy intersection (and this is on Wade Hampton) went to check on the lady. I'm just shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 02:06 PM

503 posts, read 697,627 times
Welcome to a society that doesn't give a rip anymore. I for one was taught to stop and check out people but Ive seen the same thing numerous times before, people just don't care about anybody but themselves anymore.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:08 PM

23 posts, read 43,108 times
Did you stop?

Old 02-02-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleNativ View Post
Did you stop?
Apparently you didn't read my post thoroughly. If I stopped, I would have blocked traffic and caused more issues in the intersection. You better believe if I was in the car behind the woman I would have stopped or if I was crossing the street parallel to her car I would have.

Don't be a smart mouth.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM

7,263 posts, read 4,668,536 times
Dont take this the wrong way but you could have flipped a u-turn to check on the lady. But as you said one car stopped. I think a good number of people assume someone else will help or at least call it in and go about their business unless its an obvious serious accident (hopefully!).

The problem with everyone leaving the scene is the police also potentially have no description what so ever to go on for a hit and run such as this. You possibly can have medical problems too such as a heart attack from the sudden shock of what just took place or other medical complications, or even a small child in the back seat that hopefully was properly restrained but no one notices before they drive off.

Too many people in a hurry to be no where these days it seems.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Dont take this the wrong way but you could have flipped a u-turn to check on the lady. But as you said one car stopped. I think a good number of people assume someone else will help or at least call it in and go about their business unless its an obvious serious accident (hopefully!).

The problem with everyone leaving the scene is the police also potentially have no description what so ever to go on for a hit and run such as this. You possibly can have medical problems too such as a heart attack from the sudden shock of what just took place or other medical complications, or even a small child in the back seat that hopefully was properly restrained but no one notices before they drive off.

Too many people in a hurry to be no where these days it seems.
I could have flipped around, but I was so close to home that I actually heard the police and fire trucks arrive shortly after I left the intersection. It just amazed me that most people just drove by her car (following her original path or crossing the intersection north to south) and didn't do anything. Even an EMS truck (I have no clue what organization they worked for) drove by. But the woman looked completely dazed in the vehicle and wasn't moving. I felt awful driving away but knew I would hear sirens in the next few minutes.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:39 PM

11,714 posts, read 24,872,325 times
Everybody has somewhere they gotta be and they don't want to sit there with the police for an hour. Sad but true.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,094,874 times
Offering aid to the victim is 'iffy', but just to be there is a comfort. (been there done that from the receiving end)
What I am turned off by is the reception I have received from law enforcment when I have volunteered as a witness knowing that I was potentially the only person besides the victim that knew the victim was not in any way at fault. I have had a couple of very challenging conversations with LEO that took contentiousness to the point of the absurd. At one time I just discreetly gave my card to the victim and told them to get in touch if they needed me as a witness. Telling my story to their insurance company was the best thing I could do and it did make all the difference.
As a witness I don't expect to be argued with by LOE. I saw what I saw, do they want witnesses anymore or not. Perhaps too many people have had these same bad experiences as witnesses. A citizen providing this service freely should be treated with a bit more respect than I a have enjoyed. Do I consider driving on now, yes, most of the time.

As an almost funny side note; I totalled a new car and the airbag knocked me out for a bit. When I awoke there was this 'nice' guy standing at my missing window talking to me. He told me I was lucky and I sort of grunted. He then said, "after all , you could be in Afghanistan". Of course that went over my head at the time, and you know, it still goes over my head. Yeah, I could have been on a crashing airliner as well. Wow, people are zany.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:49 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,475,783 times
I once was close to a hit and run and tried to follow the driver to get a tag number. Unfortunately, he was way going way faster but I did at least get the make, model, color of the offender. By the time I returned EMS was on the scene so I gave the information to the police. It probably looked like I just drove on by but I knew I did not have the medical knowledge to help.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:06 AM

23 posts, read 43,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Apparently you didn't read my post thoroughly. If I stopped, I would have blocked traffic and caused more issues in the intersection. You better believe if I was in the car behind the woman I would have stopped or if I was crossing the street parallel to her car I would have.

Don't be a smart mouth.
Not being a "smart mouth", but I'm sure everyone else had their reasons for not stopping as well, just as you did. Just like you felt it was unsafe, the other people could have felt so too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area